Wireguard on Debian 10 from Qubes-vpn-support

Daniil Travnikov

Feb 17, 2020, 6:09:29 PM2/17/20
to qubes-users
I am looking right now on this guide: https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support/wiki/Wireguard-VPN-connections-in-Qubes-OS

So have a question: is it possible to do this on Debian 10 ?

Chris Laprise

Feb 17, 2020, 6:59:36 PM2/17/20
to Daniil Travnikov, qubes-users
Debian 10 now has wireguard packages in 'testing', not just 'unstable'.
So that is different.

TBH the one time I remember testing this on Debian 10, I did something
like this:

1. Install the 'kernel-latest-qubes-vm' package in dom0. This will
provide a 5.x kernel with wireguard module built-in. Set your VPN VM to
use this kernel.

2. Install only the 'wireguard-tools' package (from testing) in Debian
10. Otherwise, there may be a conflict between the built-in and DKMS
modules.

3. Given the above, it may now be possible to skip using HVM mode
altogether.

--
Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Abel Luck

Feb 18, 2020, 6:01:01 AM2/18/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Chris Laprise:
> On 2/17/20 6:09 PM, Daniil Travnikov wrote:
>> I am looking right now on this guide:
>> https://github.com/tasket/Qubes-vpn-support/wiki/Wireguard-VPN-connections-in-Qubes-OS
>>

>> So have a question: is it possible to do this on Debian 10 ?
>
> Debian 10 now has wireguard packages in 'testing', not just 'unstable'.
> So that is different.
>
> TBH the one time I remember testing this on Debian 10, I did something
> like this:
>
> 1. Install the 'kernel-latest-qubes-vm' package in dom0. This will
> provide a 5.x kernel with wireguard module built-in. Set your VPN VM to
> use this kernel.
>
> 2. Install only the 'wireguard-tools' package (from testing) in Debian
> 10. Otherwise, there may be a conflict between the built-in and DKMS
> modules.
>
> 3. Given the above, it may now be possible to skip using HVM mode
> altogether.

The way Chris describes is probably the proper way to do it now.

However I can confirm that the OP's linked instructions work fine on
debian 10:

* debian-10-wireguard HVM template
* install wireguard from testing/unstable

~abel