Feedback, workaround and bugs in R2B3 install

Marc Enjolras

Jan 28, 2014, 5:57:34 PM1/28/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've made a fresh install of R2B3 on a samsung NP300E7A 12GB, 256GB extreme SSD thanks to an usb key generated on windows.

I have installed windows as a template (samsung install disk W7 x64 SP1). It doesn"t work in french but does in english.
I have then installed the windows tools. When I try to remove gui from install it doesn't work.

Workaround 1:
-----------------
Since after reboot I couldn't connect neither via explorer nor with full size windows (stops after user login), I have renamed wga (c:\program files\invisible things lab\qubes os windows tools\bin) before reboot. I then have a full window working

Workaround 2:
------------------
I do no have keypad working in windows (defined as on in main desktop).
With regedit  I set HKEY USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard\InitialKeyboardIndicators to 2.
It seems that qubes set it to 2XXXXXX. If it so more than 2, Windows seems to have a bug which prevents you from activating keypad.

Workaround 3:
Sometimes the VM won't start with the VM manager, so I start it from command line. Sometimes it's the opposite. Shoud try both... (I have an error with terminal: xc: error panic: xc_dom_bzimageloader.c:634: xc_dom_probe_bzimage_kernel: kernel is not a bzImage)

I Then wanted to create a windows VM from the template

Workaround 4:
Network is not working. You should start c:\program files\invisible things lab\qubes os windows tools\bin\qubes-network-setup manually

For the backup of my windows template, I wanted to cancel, but cancel doesn't work and puts an error. It is impossible to shutdown or anything while backup.

Hope it helps

Marc