Failed to get initiator name from iscsi firmware

loro...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2019, 8:32:37 PM11/29/19
to qubes-users
Hello,

I'm trying to install Qubes 4 on an XMG P407 laptop. Unfortunately I get the error "failed to get initiator name from iscsi firmware", coming from here: https://github.com/fepitre/qubes-installer-qubes-os/commit/2ee1f1ad93d0e51cb264aefdb3d6147223136eb7

I have installed Qubes previously on another laptop (Gigabyte) and it works fine. However trying to reinstall it on that laptop now just for testing also gives me the same error.

What does work is installing Qubes on my desktop computer, but that is not my goal...

Any pointers?

Best regards

loro...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2019, 3:57:40 AM12/2/19
to qubes-users
After more testing with different releases I can conclude that the following low level errors are thrown:
  • Qubes 4.0.2-rc2:
    blivet.errors.DependencyError: storaged iSCSI functionality not available
  • Qubes 4.0.1 & Qubes 4.0 RC4:
    blivet.safe_dbus.DBusCallError: Failed to call Introspect method on /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/Manager with None arguments: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkown: The name org.freedesktop.UDisk2 was not provided by any .service files
I found a couple of bugs reported along these lines:
Message has been deleted

loro...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2019, 4:48:22 AM12/2/19
to qubes-users
Since iSCSI is used just for networking, can it be disabled?

loro...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2019, 4:56:05 AM12/2/19
to qubes-users
Moving the disk to another computer and then installing Qubes works. However after moving the disk back it can no longer boot (not surprised)... Is it possible to edit boot options to get it booting or are hardware differences a problem?

loro...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2019, 6:47:07 AM12/5/19
to qubes-users
It seems like this was a graphics error and not related to iSCSI. Adding the following boot arguments to [qubes] section in BOOTX64.cfg fixed the problem:

 mapbs=1 noexitboot=1 modprobe.blacklist=nouveau rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau

As suggested here: https://bytefreaks.net/tag/modprobe-blacklistnouveau