HCL - Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 2

Patrick Schless

Mar 23, 2014, 3:47:14 PM3/23/14
to qubes-users
Here's the HCL output for the latest X1 Carbon.

I have only been playing around with it for a couple days, but issues I've found already are:

- wifi doesn't work out of the box (needed to install iwl7260-firmware package)

- sleep doesn't work correctly. This is a known issue (unrelated to Qubes). I disabled USB 3.0 in the BIOS, which partially fixed it, but the function keys don't work after a sleep.

- function panel doesn't work (unrelated to Qubes). Lenovo's dynamic function panel has a button to toggle between different modes. I don't think anybody has it working for linux yet.
Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20A7CTO1WW-20140323.txt

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 23, 2014, 4:03:15 PM3/23/14
to Patrick Schless, qubes-users
On 23.03.2014 20:47, Patrick Schless wrote:
> - sleep doesn't work correctly. This is a known issue (unrelated to Qubes).
> I disabled USB 3.0 in the BIOS, which partially fixed it, but the function
> keys don't work after a sleep.

I had similar USB3.0 issue on one non-Qubes system. There I have script in
/etc/pm/sleep.d/50-usb-unbind.sh:
#!/bin/sh

DRIVER_BASE=/sys/bus/pci/drivers
DRIVER=xhci_hcd
BDF=0000:02:00.0

case $1 in
suspend)
echo $BDF > $DRIVER_BASE/$DRIVER/unbind
;;
resume)
echo $BDF > $DRIVER_BASE/$DRIVER/bind
;;
*)
echo Invalid usage: $*
;;
esac

exit 0
----------------
Not sure if that script would be called in Qubes - KDE uses systemd for sleep,
which ignores the whole pm-utils. But this should be rather easy to fix, take
a look at /usr/lib/systemd/system/qubes-suspend.service

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

signature.asc

Patrick Schless

Mar 23, 2014, 5:14:49 PM3/23/14
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Thanks for the tip. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but which device are you unbinding there? On my system 0000:02 is the graphics controller, and I don't have the same xhci_hcd on my system. I'm guessing I would replace 0000:02 with 0000:1d, but I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.

Thanks,
Patrick

Here's what I have on my system:

[root@dom0 ~]# ls /sys/bus/pci/drivers
agpgart-intel  ahci  e1000e  ehci-pci  i801_smbus  i915  ioapic  iwlwifi  langwell_gpio  lpc_ich  mei_me  pciback  pcieport  pci-stub  serial  shpchp  snd_hda_intel  xen-platform-pci

[root@dom0 ~]# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 0b)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Device 0a0c (rev 0b)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:16.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HECI KT (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I218-LM (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev e4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Lynx Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 04)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 08b2 (rev 83)

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Mar 23, 2014, 6:28:16 PM3/23/14
On 23.03.2014 22:14, Patrick Schless wrote:
> Thanks for the tip. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but which device
> are you unbinding there? On my system 0000:02 is the graphics controller,
> and I don't have the same xhci_hcd on my system. I'm guessing I would
> replace 0000:02 with 0000:1d, but I want to make sure I'm understanding
> correctly.

Of course USB3 controller. Check with lspci -k (search for xhci).
But, if you don't have xhci-hcd driver loaded, what driver handles the USB3
controller? If ehci-hcd (which is driver for USB2.0 controllers), then replace
xhci with ehci in the script - the whole point is to disable the device,
regardless what driver is attached to it.
signature.asc

Jean-François Rioux

Mar 23, 2014, 11:49:39 PM3/23/14
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Patrick Schless, qubes-users
Hi,

I also have the X1 Carbon GEN 2 (see hlc report in attachment).

For the WIFI, I installed iwl7260-firmware in my template-vm and
everything is working smoothly.

I too had issues with the sleep/resume cycle, but I was able to fix it
by using/modifying Marek's script, and disabling USB3 in the BIOS. Here
is my version of the script:

/etc/pm/sleep.d/50-usb-unbind.sh:
#!/bin/sh

DRIVER_BASE=/sys/bus/pci/drivers
DRIVER=ehci-pci
BDF=0000:1d:00.0

case $1 in
suspend)
echo $BDF > $DRIVER_BASE/$DRIVER/unbind
;;
resume)
echo $BDF > $DRIVER_BASE/$DRIVER/bind
;;
*)
echo Invalid usage: $*
;;
esac

exit 0

I too am facing issues with the "adaptative" functions keys. I'll keep
looking for a solution and I'll post it here if/when I find one.

--
Jean-François Rioux
Mantor Organization

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20A7CTO1WW-20140321.cpio.gz
Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20A7CTO1WW-20140321.txt
signature.asc

Patrick Schless

Mar 23, 2014, 11:58:31 PM3/23/14
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Ahh, I understand the issue now. I had USB3 disabled in the BIOS, so I didn't see what you were talking about. I turned it back on, and now I see the devices. I did the unbind (with the USB3 device and xhci_hcd), went into sleep mode, and had the same issue as before. Not a huge deal to me, but I think that just means that USB3 doesn't work. I'll just leave it off in the BIOS.

Thanks for the help.

- Patrick

inf...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2014, 4:09:42 AM4/13/14
to Patrick Schless, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
On 24/03/14 04:58, Patrick Schless wrote:
Ahh, I understand the issue now. I had USB3 disabled in the BIOS, so I didn't see what you were talking about. I turned it back on, and now I see the devices. I did the unbind (with the USB3 device and xhci_hcd), went into sleep mode, and had the same issue as before. Not a huge deal to me, but I think that just means that USB3 doesn't work. I'll just leave it off in the BIOS.

FYI Lenovo issued a BIOS update 10th April which purports to solve the Linux sleep problem (in ReadMe)

Grateful for any test reports before I push the Checkout button on my shopping cart...

BTW - any reports of WiFi speed on an AC router?

CB

Joanna Rutkowska

Apr 13, 2014, 4:52:03 AM4/13/14
to inf...@gmail.com, Patrick Schless, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
On 04/13/14 10:09, inf...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 24/03/14 04:58, Patrick Schless wrote:
>> Ahh, I understand the issue now. I had USB3 disabled in the BIOS, so I
>> didn't see what you were talking about. I turned it back on, and now I
>> see the devices. I did the unbind (with the USB3 device and xhci_hcd),
>> went into sleep mode, and had the same issue as before. Not a huge
>> deal to me, but I think that just means that USB3 doesn't work. I'll
>> just leave it off in the BIOS.
>
> FYI Lenovo issued a BIOS update 10th April
> <http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&DocID=DS039783>
> which purports to solve the Linux sleep problem (in ReadMe)
>
> Grateful for any test reports before I push the Checkout button on my
> shopping cart...
>
> BTW - any reports of WiFi speed on an AC router?

I'm also holding my breath to hear opinions on how people find working
with the X2 Gen2 broken keyboard which has no physical fn keys? Because
besides this "little inconvenience" it indeed looks like a nice laptop
for Qubes OS...

joanna.

signature.asc

Patrick Schless

Apr 13, 2014, 7:38:26 PM4/13/14
to infopol, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
I installed the new BIOS today, and re-enabled USB3. Resume works OK now, but this isn't a huge deal for me because I didn't mind having USB3 disabled.

The big annoyance around resume is that the adaptive keypad (the function keys) don't work after resume. That is still the case, even after this BIOS fix.

Joanna Rutkowska

Apr 14, 2014, 4:25:42 AM4/14/14
to Patrick Schless, infopol, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
On 04/14/14 01:38, Patrick Schless wrote:
> I installed the new BIOS today, and re-enabled USB3. Resume works OK now,
> but this isn't a huge deal for me because I didn't mind having USB3
> disabled.
>
> The big annoyance around resume is that the adaptive keypad (the function
> keys) don't work after resume. That is still the case, even after this BIOS
> fix.

Your statement implies they actually worked before the sleep? Do they
work like normal Fn keys?

j.

> On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 3:09 AM, <inf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 24/03/14 04:58, Patrick Schless wrote:
>>
>> Ahh, I understand the issue now. I had USB3 disabled in the BIOS, so I
>> didn't see what you were talking about. I turned it back on, and now I see
>> the devices. I did the unbind (with the USB3 device and xhci_hcd), went
>> into sleep mode, and had the same issue as before. Not a huge deal to me,
>> but I think that just means that USB3 doesn't work. I'll just leave it off
>> in the BIOS.
>>

>> FYI Lenovo issued a BIOS update 10th April<http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?&DocID=DS039783>which purports to solve the Linux sleep problem (in ReadMe)
signature.asc

inf...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2014, 6:52:07 AM4/14/14
to Joanna Rutkowska, Patrick Schless, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
On 14/04/14 10:25, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
On 04/14/14 01:38, Patrick Schless wrote:
I installed the new BIOS today, and re-enabled USB3. Resume works OK now,
but this isn't a huge deal for me because I didn't mind having USB3
disabled.

The big annoyance around resume is that the adaptive keypad (the function
keys) don't work after resume. That is still the case, even after this BIOS
fix.
Your statement implies they actually worked before the sleep? Do they
work like normal Fn keys?

A patch has been worked on for a month.

But looks like there is a new issue post-BIOS upodate :-(

Wonder if Patrick sees this?

CB

Patrick Schless

Apr 14, 2014, 2:46:44 PM4/14/14
to infopol, Joanna Rutkowska, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Interesting. I haven't seen the eeeeeeee issue, but it sounds like it may only be a problem with a remapped Ctrl (which I haven't done). I'll update if I start to see this or similar behavior.

As for the adaptive keypad, on boot it shows the function keys (which allows you to F1 into the BIOS, for instance). You also can use them in qubes normally, until you put your computer to sleep (afterwards they don't light up or respond to touch). Coming from a macbook air with a remapped Fn key, I have just trained myself to not use the function keys. The key that is a problem for me is the keyboard backlight toggle. It's on the keypad (next to the function keys), but after a sleep/resume, it's gone as well. If I could figure out how to toggle this from the CLI, I probably wouldn't care much about the adaptive keypad.

Patrick Schless

Apr 14, 2014, 2:58:23 PM4/14/14
to infopol, Joanna Rutkowska, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
FWIW, the keypad only quits working when I close the laptop open and reopen it. If I leave it open and walk away (so the screen goes black), when I come back the keys still work. I assume that closing the lid caused the computer to go to sleep, but just letting the screen blank is something else, which is the cause of the difference.

inf...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2014, 10:00:23 AM4/17/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
This seems to be latest status. Would be wonderful if backported to a Qubes kernel ;-)

CB

dhu...@mozilla.com

May 21, 2014, 5:24:36 PM5/21/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, inf...@gmail.com, Patrick Schless, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
On Sunday, April 13, 2014 1:52:03 AM UTC-7, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
> it indeed looks like a nice laptop for Qubes OS...
>
> joanna.

I just got one of these specifically for running Qubes OS. I hope it works :)

-dave

inf...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2014, 4:06:04 AM6/5/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, dhu...@mozilla.com, Patrick Schless, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Wondering if any X1 Carbon Gen 2 users seen this:

If I leave the machine switched on for (not sure maybe longer) 30
minutes or so, the screen has about 20 evenly spaced purple vertical
dotted lines on a black background. If I bash on keyboard and trackpad,
the normal screen appears, but sometimes takes 10-15 seconds (so it is
sort of a security issue - don't know what machine doing in that time)

I've checked screensaver is disabled, and not sure if this a Qubes
artefact or machine (some video glitch)

Overnight, see more patterns on screen that look like video glitch

Anyone seen?

thx

CB

jk...@kixeye.com

Jun 6, 2014, 6:26:39 PM6/6/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm that with the latest BIOS update, v1.14, (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS039783) under Ubuntu 14.04, suspend/resume works perfectly, including the adaptive function key panel, in near full glory, including volume and other settings on the second screen.

With Qubes R2-rc1, resuming from suspend works, but I have the same issue with others with regards to the adaptive function key. However, I did notice that unloading and reloading the thinkpad_acpi module *after* resuming resets the adaptive function key and lets me use it again. But in Qubes, it only works as function keys. I tried sending the reset command to the hotkey component of thinkpad_acpi, but the module has reset/disable commands disabled for the hotkey.

So unloading and reloading the module it is, until I get a chance to try patching the kernel.

inf...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2015, 8:46:24 AM4/4/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, jk...@kixeye.com

Indeed, looks like resume of function keys is working in Ubuntu since last year
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1309609

V.gratyeful if anyone can give recipe for how would one go about patching the kernel (beyond me)?

Not having fn keys irksome

CB