HCL - Purism Librem 13

blan...@openmailbox.org

Dec 3, 2015, 10:03:59 PM12/3/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello Qubes users,

I have been running Qubes R3 for about a week now with great success. I
run numerous VMs based on the Debian 8 template, whonix-gw and
workstation, and default sys-firewall and net VMs on Fedora 21.

Graphics, sound, touchpad, networking and sleep functions seem to work
properly. Wireless reconnects after sleep resume, as well as after using
the wireless "kill switch" and then back on again.

I have not yet tested HDMI, SD-MMC or ethernet jacks.

I have not been able to test the camera and microphone, though I think
this is due to my lack of understanding how to properly attach them to
an AppVM (I would be happy to receive any assistance with this).

I'm happy to run any tests from interested parties, except if it's
likely to be destructive ;-)

Regards,
Blank
Qubes-HCL-Intel_Corporation-SharkBay_Platform-20151203-214148.yml

Tim W

Dec 3, 2015, 10:14:13 PM12/3/15
to qubes-users, blan...@openmailbox.org

The simplest way to attach the mic to a vm is to use the vm manager.  If you look at the icons along the top you will see one roughly in the middle that looks like a mic.  Click on a vm then click that icon to attach it to the vm.  That is it.  You can test it in pulse audio but honestly I find the easiest if you are not familiar with it is to install audacity and then you can easily test it in the main gui.  Besides I tend to use audacity the most when it comes to sound.

blan...@openmailbox.org

Dec 3, 2015, 10:45:48 PM12/3/15
to Tim W, qubes-users
That got the microphone working :-)

Any idea about the webcam? I can identify it in `dmesg` and `lsusb`, but
don't know how that maps to the USB controllers listed in the devices
tab using Qubes manager.

Thanks

Tim W

Dec 4, 2015, 3:03:44 AM12/4/15
to qubes-users, timw...@gmail.com, blan...@openmailbox.org

Glad that helped get the mic working.  I have not yet messed with my webcam yet.   Most likely its on the same usb controller as your usb ports.  Make sure the keyboard touchpad is not on the same controller (same pci bus number) and you assign that controller to a vm and load skype or someother app and see if it works.

benja...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2015, 7:30:27 PM12/4/15
to qubes-users, timw...@gmail.com, blan...@openmailbox.org
Great news that you have success with the Librem13. It's making me more confident about my upcoming purchase of the Librem13, and plan to install Qubes on it.

But a followup question, in reference to an old thread "Re: [qubes-users] Re: rally behind Purism Librem and push for Qubes support".

Can anyone speak to whether or not Qubes will have some sort of "validation/certifications", as mentioned by the Todd Weaver from Pursim, for the Librem machines? If so, in what form would that "validation/certification" take?  Who will be doing the "validation/certification"?

And can anyone speak to the idea to see Purism is working (or would work) with the Qubes core team about having Qubes shipped by default on the Librems?

Thanks!

Axon

Dec 4, 2015, 7:50:49 PM12/4/15
to qubes-users

Axon

Dec 4, 2015, 7:56:39 PM12/4/15
to qubes-users, benja...@gmail.com

Benjamin Yu

Dec 4, 2015, 8:02:41 PM12/4/15
to Axon, qubes-users
Excellent. Thanks!

Definitely going to select the "QubesOS" option when purchasing the
librem, I want some of that money to go to you guys.

Tim W

Dec 4, 2015, 8:14:27 PM12/4/15
to qubes-users, ax...@openmailbox.org

Does this mean owners of the L13 can be assured Qubes development will continue to support /optimize their HW in future builds ( up to within reason life span) ie example 3-5 yrs?  If I know for a fact I can get a fully tweaked Qubes installed as the default OS I will make this my next PC later this year as I tend to use a few for different jobs/personal.

As Qubes has obviously done some work assuring full support I have a few question maybe some on here can answer:

What is the SATA and USB controller setup for these laptops?   Do we have separate USB controllers between different USB ports and or internally supported other input devices such as express card If its not direct PCI?     ON the L15 with its 5 usb ports and SD card reader does are these broken up in any way on separate usb controllers?   I am assuming given the support that the keyboard touchpad are not on the same controller as the usb ports and sd card reader??

I ask because its very frustrating to buy a computer that shows it has 3 usb controllers as in my case with the T440p yet only one is in use and covers all the external input devices minus the express card reader (PCI).  The others based on 'lsusb' have nothing connected to them.

7v5w7go9ub0o

Dec 4, 2015, 10:28:20 PM12/4/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 12/04/2015 07:56 PM, Axon wrote:

>> See here: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/certified-laptops/

Nice.

>> Also, if there's specific information which you think should be added
>> to that page, please comment on the associated issue:
>>
>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1444

1. Is there some way the pre-installed Librem/Qubes could be "signed"
(as is done with the .iso distribution)? At least a hash of the sectors?

2. Somewhere I read Joanna discussing the hashing of firmware on a
laptop. Any chance of a procedure for validating the firmware hashes on
the Librem/Qubes pre-installation? This would likely require a separate
.iso (as would the hash/signature validation of the SSD partitions);
would be *very* sexy; and would be a great precedent for other mfgrs.

Axon

Dec 4, 2015, 10:45:06 PM12/4/15
to 7v5w7go9ub0o, qubes...@googlegroups.com