Default print screen location: Dom0 ...?

emma.li...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2016, 7:37:57 AM4/13/16
to qubes-users
Hi,
when I do a print screen of something happening in the personal domain, the default place it is saved is Dom0. I would expect it to end up in the appvm that is being print screened instead. Is this a bug or a feature?

Zrubi

Apr 13, 2016, 7:55:51 AM4/13/16
to emma.li...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Desobediente

Apr 13, 2016, 8:13:19 AM4/13/16
to qubes-users
I'm gonna use this same topic.

What if i want to use recordmydesktop or anything similar?

I am interested strictly in video recording / screen capture, but also, how would audio work?

I have tried (before I've RTFM) to run recordmydesktop "inside" an AppVM, that obviously crapped the whole screeen.

Tags: recordmydesktop, screen record, screen capture, how do i, how do one, how do you, video record

Zrubi

Apr 13, 2016, 8:35:29 AM4/13/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Axon

Apr 13, 2016, 9:30:29 AM4/13/16
to emma.li...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Axon

Apr 13, 2016, 9:39:23 AM4/13/16
to Desobediente, qubes-users

Zrubi

Apr 13, 2016, 9:48:29 AM4/13/16
to Axon, Desobediente, qubes-users

Axon

Apr 13, 2016, 12:55:56 PM4/13/16
to Zrubi, Desobediente, qubes-users

Desobediente

Apr 13, 2016, 1:04:17 PM4/13/16
to qubes-users

I think this could work, but one big drawback would be having to
install/run (probably untrusted) recording software in dom0 as opposed
to a domU.

That's the one thing I was trying to avoid

Emma Lilliestam

Apr 14, 2016, 9:18:21 AM4/14/16
to Axon, qubes-users
I do not understand the syntax given in this the copy-to-dom0 document.
The example:
cat /path/to/file_in_dom0 | qvm-run --pass-io <dst_domain> 'cat > /path/to/file_name_in_appvm'
My try:
cat snapshot2.png | qvm-run --pass-io <personal> 'cat > /Documents'

The second path doesn't autocomplete whatever I put in. Clearly, I am missing something.

Salmiakki

Apr 14, 2016, 9:29:36 AM4/14/16
to qubes-users, ax...@openmailbox.org, emma.li...@gmail.com

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 3:18:21 PM UTC+2, Emma Lilliestam wrote:
I do not understand the syntax given in this the copy-to-dom0 document.
The example:
cat /path/to/file_in_dom0 | qvm-run --pass-io <dst_domain> 'cat > /path/to/file_name_in_appvm'
My try:
cat snapshot2.png | qvm-run --pass-io <personal> 'cat > /Documents'

The second path doesn't autocomplete whatever I put in. Clearly, I am missing something.
It doesn't autocomplete because that path is in a different VM and your shell completion doesn't know about it.
Also leave away the <,> on the domain name.
So
cat snapshot2.png | qvm-run --pass-io personal 'cat > /home/user/Documents/snapshot2.png' or something similar should be right.

Emma Lilliestam

Apr 14, 2016, 10:10:18 AM4/14/16
to Salmiakki, qubes-users, ax...@openmailbox.org
Thanks! I did exactly that. Did not work. Anyways, this time I get real error messages, which is a step forward.

When I tried with "snapshot2.png" at the end the error message is "no such device or directory". When the path ended with /Documents the error message is "is a directory".

JPL

Apr 14, 2016, 10:25:08 AM4/14/16
to qubes-users, simonthecr...@gmail.com, ax...@openmailbox.org, emma.li...@gmail.com

Thanks! I did exactly that. Did not work. Anyways, this time I get real error messages, which is a step forward.

When I tried with "snapshot2.png" at the end the error message is "no such device or directory". When the path ended with /Documents the error message is "is a directory".

 Are you running the command in the Dom0 directory where snapshot2.png is saved?

Salmiakki

Apr 14, 2016, 10:41:37 AM4/14/16

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 4:25:08 PM UTC+2, JPL wrote:

 Are you running the command in the Dom0 directory where snapshot2.png is saved?

Indeed that's probably it. So you either need to be in the directory where snapshot2.png is or change the command to
cat /path/to/snapshot2.png | qvm-run --pass-io personal 'cat > /home/user/Documents/snapshot2.png'

And I just noticed you can use a /home/user relative path like this:
cat /path/to/snapshot2.png | qvm-run --pass-io personal 'cat > Documents/snapshot2.png'

But I tried and the command works. ;)

Zrubi

Apr 14, 2016, 10:49:46 AM4/14/16
to Emma Lilliestam, qubes-users

Axon

Apr 14, 2016, 6:50:47 PM4/14/16
to Zrubi, Emma Lilliestam, qubes-users

Markus Kilås

Apr 23, 2016, 4:01:54 PM4/23/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

On a related topic to the one about print screen:
How do you go about performing screen sharing?

Sometimes I need to do online presentations with presentation slides and
live demonstration of my desktop.

Not uncommon is also that this needs to be performed using some
proprietary collaboration tool not of my choice such as Skype for
business (Lync), GotoMeeting, JoinMe, Webex etc.

Installing those applications in dom0 would not be possible and also
definitely not wanted.

Currently to be able to do this I would use an other computer with an
Ubuntu installation + Windows in a VirtualBox VM.

But even with more open solutions that normally should work in
GNU/Linux, like Jitsi or WebRTC applications like Jitsi Meet or Talky
there would still be a problem in Qubes OS if I understand this
correctly because the applications are running in their AppVM and are
thus not able to capture the screen.

What could be possible future ways of sharing a desktop?
Maybe some small app in dom0 that could stream the screen (or parts of
it) to an AppVM which could then somehow make it available to the other
participants...

Cheers,
Markus

Axon

Apr 24, 2016, 2:35:27 AM4/24/16
to Markus Kilås, qubes-users

Franz

Apr 24, 2016, 12:52:38 PM4/24/16
to Axon, Markus Kilås, qubes-users
What means running in non-seamless mode? I tried to install in a particular VM a program to record a video of what was happing in the screen of that VM and it did not work.
Best
Fran

Axon

Apr 24, 2016, 1:53:31 PM4/24/16
to Franz, Markus Kilås, qubes-users

Franz

Apr 24, 2016, 4:01:10 PM4/24/16
to Axon, Markus Kilås, qubes-users
Ahh ok, It is for Windows HVM.  So the best or easier way to share or record a screen is, at least in theory, to use a Windows HVM. Or perhaps even a Linux HVM.
Best
Fran

Markus Kilås

Apr 25, 2016, 2:54:02 PM4/25/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 04/24/2016 10:01 PM, Franz wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Axon <ax...@openmailbox.org
> <mailto:ax...@openmailbox.org>> wrote:
>
> Franz:
>> On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 3:35 AM, Axon <ax...@openmailbox.org <mailto:ax...@openmailbox.org>>
Thank you Axon, Franz,

Yes, I think this should work for my use case. I don't need to capture
different VMs, getting the desktop from one is fine.

I made a first test of this by setting up an Ubuntu HVM and not
selecting seamless mode and I was successful in taking a screen shot
inside the VM using Ubuntu's screen shot app so I think this should work
with other screen capture tools as well.

Next step will be to test that this also works in a Windos HVM and then
see if assigning USB to it works so I can also get audio capturing.

Cheers,
Markus

peter...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2018, 6:49:20 AM9/27/18
to qubes-users

Sorry to bump this old thread but as a new qubes user I did try unknowingly to run recordmydesktop in an APPVM.
The result was that the whole screen became white both on external and laptop display. I could see preview screens when alt-tabbing and could exit and reenter from the lock screen that looked normal, but always ended up in the white screen. I needed to perform a hard reboot to recover.

I found below tool for running recordmydesktop in dom0 instead https://git.zx2c4.com/laurent-tools/tree/tools/qvm-screenrecord.sh
I do have problems with many corrupt/lost frames though not sure if that is related to qubes or not.