HCL - Dell XPS 15 (9530)

Markus Kilås

Dec 25, 2014, 7:37:08 AM12/25/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have started testing out Qubes OS on an XPS 15. Seems to be mostly
working so far.

At the moment I am running from an external USB SSD in order to keep my
original system until migrated everything.

One issue that I have started to notice is that booting has become quite
slow. This happens now every time. After 2 minutes from entering the
disk password it drops out to Emergency Mode. Pressing Control+D and the
system boots after additional 1 minute.

Please find attached the report file.

Cheers,
Markus
Qubes-HCL-Dell_Inc.-XPS_15_9530-20141221-153225.txt

marku...@gmail.com

Jan 8, 2015, 2:24:14 AM1/8/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Now after a new installation on the internal SSD there has not been any issues with the slow startup anymore. I guess it could have been an issue with the external (USB) SSD or something that has been fixed in an update.

Not that I usually use it, but I noticed that suspend (sleep) does not work. After resume the login screen is displayed but everything seems freezed, including the mouse pointer.

Cheers,
Markus

Alex

Jan 8, 2015, 4:07:36 AM1/8/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 01/08/15 08:24, marku...@gmail.com wrote:

> Now after a new installation on the internal SSD there has not been
> any issues with the slow startup anymore. I guess it could have
> been an issue with the external (USB) SSD or something that has
> been fixed in an update.
>
> Not that I usually use it, but I noticed that suspend (sleep) does
> not work. After resume the login screen is displayed but everything
> seems freezed, including the mouse pointer.

If you have one of the NVIDIA cards this happens with nouveau; I
solved the freeze-resuming-from-sleep problem compiling the NVIDIA
drivers from RpmFusion, as per
https://wiki.qubes-os.org/wiki/InstallNvidiaDriver.

The commands in the wiki are for an old version, but they still work -
you may have to download a few additional packages, rpmbuild will
complain accordingly. If you build from an AppVM with the
fedora-20-x86 template you should not have any problems with
installing the correct kernel-devel / gcc either.

--
Alex

Markus Kilås

Jan 9, 2015, 2:46:12 PM1/9/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have NVIDIA card. Thank you Alex for confirming the issue and the
tip about compiling the driver.

Personally, unless I find other more major issues, I rather skip using
suspend instead of switching to a proprietary driver.

I am also running Ubuntu on the same machine and there suspend is
working fine so I guess this must be a Fedora/Xen/Qubes issue.

I also notice sometimes when getting back from having the screen locked
for a while that the screen is not repainted properly and sometimes it
is necessary to Alt+F2,Alt+F1 switch to an other virtual terminal and
back to get it to work again. However, so far that has worked everytime
it happens so I can live with that as well for now.

Best regards,
Markus