Teamviewer and Firewall-logs

Niels Kobschätzki

May 25, 2016, 12:02:07 AM5/25/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I am new to Qubes and I need a working Teamviewer (best would be TV9). I installed TV9 in a Fedora23-AppVM and TV11 in a Debian8-AppVM. Teamviewer starts up fine but it cannot connect. I am using Linux for some time now and that's a problem I only had when the teamviewerd didn't run but from what I see, it runs.

a) Any ideas why it can't connect? The only thing I found is someone who couldn't make it run in a Linux-AppVM but a Windows-AppVM. I don't want to install Windows in Qubes just for TeamViewer

b) How do I do persistent "sudo systemctl enable teamviewerd.service". If I understood it correctly changes to the root-filesystem of an AppVM is wiped on reboot. So how would I do this?

c) Where can I find in a standard-Qubes-installation the firewall-logs? I'd like to know if maybe something gets denied when Teamviewer runs and that this is the reason for my problems.

Niels

Andrew David Wong

May 25, 2016, 12:28:14 AM5/25/16
to Niels Kobschätzki, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2016-05-24 21:02, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Qubes and I need a working Teamviewer (best would be
> TV9). I installed TV9 in a Fedora23-AppVM and TV11 in a
> Debian8-AppVM. Teamviewer starts up fine but it cannot connect. I
> am using Linux for some time now and that's a problem I only had
> when the teamviewerd didn't run but from what I see, it runs.
>
> a) Any ideas why it can't connect? The only thing I found is
> someone who couldn't make it run in a Linux-AppVM but a
> Windows-AppVM. I don't want to install Windows in Qubes just for
> TeamViewer

I haven't had any problems with the Teamviewer web client in Google
Chrome in a Fedora-based AppVM, but it sounds like you want to install
the client (which I haven't tried).

If it requires allowing inbound network access, take a look here:

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-firewall/#tocAnchor-1-1-5

> b) How do I do persistent "sudo systemctl enable
> teamviewerd.service". If I understood it correctly changes to the
> root-filesystem of an AppVM is wiped on reboot. So how would I do
> this?

Two options:

1. Add a line to /rw/config/rc.local and make it executable. All
commands will be executed as root each time the VM starts up.

2. Use a StandaloneVM.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/glossary/#tocAnchor-1-1-8
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Alex

May 25, 2016, 1:25:36 AM5/25/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/25/2016 06:28 AM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2016-05-24 21:02, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I am new to Qubes and I need a working Teamviewer (best would be
>> TV9). I installed TV9 in a Fedora23-AppVM and TV11 in a
>> Debian8-AppVM. Teamviewer starts up fine but it cannot connect. I
>> am using Linux for some time now and that's a problem I only had
>> when the teamviewerd didn't run but from what I see, it runs.
>
>> a) Any ideas why it can't connect? The only thing I found is
>> someone who couldn't make it run in a Linux-AppVM but a
>> Windows-AppVM. I don't want to install Windows in Qubes just for
>> TeamViewer
>

> I haven't had any problems with the Teamviewer web client in Google
> Chrome in a Fedora-based AppVM, but it sounds like you want to install
> the client (which I haven't tried).
>
> If it requires allowing inbound network access, take a look here:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-firewall/#tocAnchor-1-1-5
I've been using the standalone TV client (which is just the standard
windows application packaged with a preconfigured Wine...) on a vanilla
fedora 23 appvm. Just downloaded the .tar.gz, uncompressed, and tried to
start from command line. There is no actual need to "install" that in
the form of service/systemd files.

Reading the documentation on the page for the linux packages (now the
link is "installation on unsupported distributions", but is just a
deeper description of the process), you'll find that there is a command
to check for missing libraries. Make sure everything TV needs is
installed. The application may/may not start anyway, but may not work if
everything it needs is not installed.

The command to check for libraries is

$ tv-setup checklibs

>> b) How do I do persistent "sudo systemctl enable
>> teamviewerd.service". If I understood it correctly changes to the
>> root-filesystem of an AppVM is wiped on reboot. So how would I do
>> this?
As I said, there is no actual need to install the service. If you want,
you can try Andrew's suggestions, but the question may be related to
another situation: what if you wanted to control the appVM with teamviewer?

Well, that's unsupported territory. I never tried, and AFAIR there is
something related to how Qubes composes windows from the various AppVMs
that makes it impossible to capture a "screen" of an AppVM. If you try,
please report your findings on the list.

--
Alex

signature.asc

ni...@kobschaetzki.net

May 25, 2016, 3:06:37 AM5/25/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
First: thanks all, it works now. Not as I expected, but it works. Details follow beneath :)

> On May 25, 2016 at 7:25 AM Alex <alex...@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> On 05/25/2016 06:28 AM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
>
> > On 2016-05-24 21:02, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am new to Qubes and I need a working Teamviewer (best would be
> > > TV9). I installed TV9 in a Fedora23-AppVM and TV11 in a
> > > Debian8-AppVM. Teamviewer starts up fine but it cannot connect. I
> > > am using Linux for some time now and that's a problem I only had
> > > when the teamviewerd didn't run but from what I see, it runs.

<snip>

> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-firewall/#tocAnchor-1-1-5
> > I've been using the standalone TV client (which is just the standard
> > windows application packaged with a preconfigured Wine...) on a vanilla
> > fedora 23 appvm. Just downloaded the .tar.gz, uncompressed, and tried to
> > start from command line. There is no actual need to "install" that in
> > the form of service/systemd files.

I used the deb in the Debian-AppVM and the rpm in the Fedora-AppVM. That didn't work. Apparently it is no problem with the firewall but something else. The teamviewer-log tells me something something .Xauthority.
Using the files from the .tar.gz works though. So I use that. Good enough for me.

<snip>

> > > b) How do I do persistent "sudo systemctl enable
> > > teamviewerd.service". If I understood it correctly changes to the
> > > root-filesystem of an AppVM is wiped on reboot. So how would I do
> > > this?
> > > As I said, there is no actual need to install the service. If you want,
> > > you can try Andrew's suggestions, but the question may be related to
> > > another situation: what if you wanted to control the appVM with teamviewer?
>
> Well, that's unsupported territory. I never tried, and AFAIR there is
> something related to how Qubes composes windows from the various AppVMs
> that makes it impossible to capture a "screen" of an AppVM. If you try,
> please report your findings on the list.

That's not in my use case. I just need the TV-client for supporting people. And since I need to use a license which is for TV9 to be able to connect to TV-hosts (and not full clients) in a corporate environment, I need to use the TV9-client.

One problem less to solve :)

Niels