HVM problem

pe...@petrioksanen.net

Jan 31, 2014, 11:49:45 AM1/31/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I just recently installed Qubes R2B3 on one of my old laptop (Lenovo T510) and until yesterday (almost) everything worked great, but today when I tried to start my Win7 AppVM I just got error "Failed to load VM config". Yesterday's only problem was that no win7 windows were shown when in seamless mode (like earlier thread).

I thought that I had made some mistake and I deleted the VM to recreated it, but this is now what I get:

[pete@dom0 ~]$ qvm-create foo --hvm --label orange
--> Creating directory: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo
--> Creating icon symlink: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/icon.png -> /usr/share/qubes/icons/orange.png
--> Creating root image: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/root.img
--> Creating private image: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/private.img
--> Creating appmenus directory: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/apps.templates
--> Converting Appmenu Templates...
--> Adding Apps to the Menu...
kbuildsycoca4 running...
[pete@dom0 ~]$ qvm-start foo --cdrom=/dev/cdrom
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:317:libxl__domain_make domain creation fail
cannot make domain: -3
libxl: error: libxl.x:713:libxl_domain_destroy non-existant domain -1
ERROR: Failed to load VM config

Ok, it's quite new install so I reinstalled the whole Qubes OS and tried again, but the result was exactly the same.

And yes, T510 is VT-x and VT-d capable but works only with Kernel 3.9.2-2, other kernels just give garbage

Kernel: 3.9.2-2.pvops.qubes.x86_64

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz
Chipset: 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller [8086:0044] (rev 02)
VGA: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)

BIOS: 6MET92WW (1.52 )
VT-x: Active
VT-d: Active

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jan 31, 2014, 6:34:55 PM1/31/14
to pe...@petrioksanen.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 31.01.2014 17:49, pe...@petrioksanen.net wrote:
> I just recently installed Qubes R2B3 on one of my old laptop (Lenovo T510) and until yesterday (almost) everything worked great, but today when I tried to start my Win7 AppVM I just got error "Failed to load VM config". Yesterday's only problem was that no win7 windows were shown when in seamless mode (like earlier thread).
>
> I thought that I had made some mistake and I deleted the VM to recreated it, but this is now what I get:
>
> [pete@dom0 ~]$ qvm-create foo --hvm --label orange
> --> Creating directory: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo
> --> Creating icon symlink: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/icon.png -> /usr/share/qubes/icons/orange.png
> --> Creating root image: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/root.img
> --> Creating private image: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/private.img
> --> Creating appmenus directory: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/apps.templates
> --> Converting Appmenu Templates...
> --> Adding Apps to the Menu...
> kbuildsycoca4 running...
> [pete@dom0 ~]$ qvm-start foo --cdrom=/dev/cdrom
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:317:libxl__domain_make domain creation fail
> cannot make domain: -3
> libxl: error: libxl.x:713:libxl_domain_destroy non-existant domain -1
> ERROR: Failed to load VM config

Does the /dev/cdrom exists? Perhaps use real device instead of symlink name.
Check details in /var/log/xen/xl-foo.log.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

signature.asc

pe...@petrioksanen.net

Feb 1, 2014, 3:32:40 AM2/1/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, pe...@petrioksanen.net
On Saturday, February 1, 2014 1:34:55 AM UTC+2, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On 31.01.2014 17:49, pe...@petrioksanen.net wrote:
>
> > I just recently installed Qubes R2B3 on one of my old laptop (Lenovo T510) and until yesterday (almost) everything worked great, but today when I tried to start my Win7 AppVM I just got error "Failed to load VM config". Yesterday's only problem was that no win7 windows were shown when in seamless mode (like earlier thread).
>

> > I thought that I had made some mistake and I deleted the VM to recreated it, but this is now what I get:
>

> > [pete@dom0 ~]$ qvm-create foo --hvm --label orange
>
> > --> Creating directory: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo
>
> > --> Creating icon symlink: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/icon.png -> /usr/share/qubes/icons/orange.png
>
> > --> Creating root image: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/root.img
>
> > --> Creating private image: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/private.img
>
> > --> Creating appmenus directory: /var/lib/qubes/appvms/foo/apps.templates
>
> > --> Converting Appmenu Templates...
>
> > --> Adding Apps to the Menu...
>
> > kbuildsycoca4 running...
>
> > [pete@dom0 ~]$ qvm-start foo --cdrom=/dev/cdrom

> > libxl: error: libxl_create.c:317:libxl__domain_make domain creation fail
>
> > cannot make domain: -3
>
> > libxl: error: libxl.x:713:libxl_domain_destroy non-existant domain -1
>
> > ERROR: Failed to load VM config
>

> Does the /dev/cdrom exists? Perhaps use real device instead of symlink name.
>
> Check details in /var/log/xen/xl-foo.log.

Ok, here's the results using /dev/sr0

[pete@dom0 ~]$ qvm-start foo --cdrom=/dev/sr0
libxl: error: libxl_create.c:317:libxl__domain_make domain creation fail
cannot make domain: -3
libxl: error: libxl.x:713:libxl_domain_destroy non-existant domain -1
ERROR: Failed to load VM config

and no log is written at /var/log/xen

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Feb 1, 2014, 4:39:34 AM2/1/14
to pe...@petrioksanen.net, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Very strange, there should be a file with at least above message. And
hopefully some more details...
BTW Did you changed VM memory size? Or still default 512MB? If you've changed,
try set back to 512MB.
signature.asc

Petri Oksanen

Feb 1, 2014, 4:45:05 AM2/1/14
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes...@googlegroups.com
No change, actually I did:

qvm-remove foo
qvm-create foo --hvm --label orange
qvm-start foo --cdrom=/dev/sr0

And the above error message appears

pasca...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2014, 6:42:54 AM2/1/14
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, pe...@petrioksanen.net
Exactly the same here with a T410 which is the same hardware

Petri Oksanen

Feb 2, 2014, 1:39:39 PM2/2/14
On 1 Feb 2014 at 11:45:04, Petri Oksanen (pe...@petrioksanen.net) wrote:

>> [pete@dom0 ~]$ qvm-start foo --cdrom=/dev/sr0
>> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:317:libxl__domain_make domain creation fail
>> cannot make domain: -3
>> libxl: error: libxl.x:713:libxl_domain_destroy non-existant domain -1
>> ERROR: Failed to load VM config
>>
>> and no log is written at /var/log/xen
>
> Very strange, there should be a file with at least above message. And
> hopefully some more details...
> BTW Did you changed VM memory size? Or still default 512MB? If you've changed,
> try set back to 512MB.

No change, actually I did:

qvm-remove foo
qvm-create foo --hvm --label orange
qvm-start foo --cdrom=/dev/sr0

And the above error message appears

The qubes-devel list solved this problem. If the Intel TXT is enabled in BIOS but not actually used this error happens…

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-devel/W1lM4ELuVVI

-Pete-