HCL - Lenovo X1 Carbon

Ulrich Pfeifer

Oct 13, 2013, 2:32:55 AM10/13/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Qubes release 2 (R2)
Model Name: LENOVO 3444CTO

Chipset: 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core
processor DRAM Controller [8086:0154] (rev 09)
VGA: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation
3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3427U CPU @ 1.80GHz
BIOS: G6ET59WW (2.03 )
VT-x: Active
VT-d: Active

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-3444CTO-20131013.txt

Axon

Oct 13, 2013, 11:02:47 PM10/13/13
to Ulrich Pfeifer, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Added.

signature.asc

Zrubecz Laszlo

Oct 14, 2013, 4:24:52 AM10/14/13
to Axon, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 14 October 2013 05:02, Axon <ax...@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> Thanks. Added.

Hi,

I'm happy to see that not I'm the only one who is able to update the HCL page :)

A few note about editing the HCL:

- there is 3 section:
* Developer reported machines
* Laptops
* Other workstations and/or custom build machines

The sections are separated with a tiny (empty) row. (maybe we should
make it more clear)
Inside a section try to keep alphabet order...

The colour marks are nice but can be missleading if not handled correctly.

* green
Only If the reporter clearly say that ALL components/features are
working correctly.

* yellow
If some (non blocking) feature missing. (like vt-d) and/or need some
manual tweaking to make any components working.

* red(ish)
If any main feature not working - usually these are the machines with
bad (or without any) linux support by general

If the reporter not reporting actually (just sending the HCL reporter
output without any useful comment) then we should leave that row
white...

--
Zrubi

Axon

Oct 14, 2013, 4:35:06 AM10/14/13
to Zrubecz Laszlo, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I see. Thank you for the explanation. I will follow this from now
on, but this information definitely needs to be on the HCL page itself
if that page is going to be useful. Otherwise, no one will know exactly
what each section, color, etc. means (except the people who helped to
write it in the first place).

signature.asc

Axon

Oct 14, 2013, 4:43:51 AM10/14/13
On 10/14/13 01:24, Zrubecz Laszlo wrote:
> A few note about editing the HCL:
>
> - there is 3 section:
> * Developer reported machines
> * Laptops
> * Other workstations and/or custom build machines
>
> The sections are separated with a tiny (empty) row. (maybe we should
> make it more clear)

For example, I noticed the tiny empty rows, but I thought someone was
just being sloppy and accidentally left them in there after deleting
some old text. I almost removed them myself, but I decided against it
because they're not very noticeable (and therefore not very harmful :P).

> Inside a section try to keep alphabet order...
>
> The colour marks are nice but can be missleading if not handled correctly.
>
> * green
> Only If the reporter clearly say that ALL components/features are
> working correctly.
>
> * yellow
> If some (non blocking) feature missing. (like vt-d) and/or need some
> manual tweaking to make any components working.
>
> * red(ish)
> If any main feature not working - usually these are the machines with
> bad (or without any) linux support by general
>

> If the reporter not reporting actually (just sending the HCL reporter
> output without any useful comment) then we should leave that row
> white...

I always thought the white ones were left white just because everyone
was too busy/lazy to figure out the correct color for every entry. :P

(I think the moral of the story here is that without some kind of legend
or key, these colors are *already* somewhat misleading.)

signature.asc

Axon

Oct 14, 2013, 5:10:34 AM10/14/13
to Zrubecz Laszlo, qubes...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've edited the page to reflect this discussion. One thing I haven't
done: Put the color words in the legend on the same background colors as
their respective cells. I'm not sure what the best way to do that would
be, so if you do, please feel free.

signature.asc

Axon

Oct 14, 2013, 5:17:31 AM10/14/13
to Zrubecz Laszlo, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Here are things which still need to be explained (in the form of
questions a reader might reasonably have):

* What is the difference between a blank cell and a question mark?
* What does an asterisk (*) mean?
* What exactly is the difference between "OK and "X"? (Does this just
indicate that feature is present or absent, or does it also indicate
something more?)

I actually don't know the answers to these questions, so someone else is
going to have to answer them. ;)

signature.asc