QWT issues with USB device and copy to vm

Glen H

Mar 4, 2018, 7:24:28 PM3/4/18
to qubes-users
Hi,

(Qubes 4 rc 4, fully updated dom0)

I installed the latest R3.2 QWT after doing a fresh install of Win 7 Pro and doing all the Win 7 OS updates. That took about an hour and 8 reboots and I needed to expand my Windows drive from 25G to 35G using `qvm-volume extend win7:root 36g` and then using the disk management tool in windows to grow the volume.

Then I installed QWT by doing this:

```
# dom0:
qvm-start win7
# win7:
bcdedit /set testsigning on
# shutdown

# dom0:
qvm-start --cdrom=untrusted:/home/user/qubes-windows-tools.iso win7
# win7:
run .exe in attached CD-ROM to install QWT
shutdown

# dom0:
qvm-start win7
# win7:
finish QWT install, crashed
reboot in normal mode from crash
finish QWT install, this time completed
```

Issues:

1) When I try to use Nautilus to move a file over to `win7` it seems to work (even starting win7 if it isn't running already), but I can't find the folder for where it is on the Windows side. If I try copying to the win7 vm again I get an error that the file already exists. So it seems the copy is working but I can't find the files on in Windows.

2) When I use the device manager widget in the XFCE panel to associate my USB scanner with win7 it seems to freeze the widget and is unresponsive until I shutdown Windows. The USB device doesn't appear in Windows either.

Any ideas?

Glen

brenda...@gmail.com

Mar 4, 2018, 8:04:16 PM3/4/18
to qubes-users
On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 7:24:28 PM UTC-5, Glen H wrote:
> 1) When I try to use Nautilus to move a file over to `win7` it seems to work
> (even starting win7 if it isn't running already), but I can't find the folder
> for where it is on the Windows side. If I try copying to the win7 vm again I
> get an error that the file already exists. So it seems the copy is working but
> I can't find the files on in Windows.

I had the same issue in V4.0RC4 & found the files in the following (not usually indexed) location:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\Documents\QubesIncoming\

I haven't experimented with adjusting the qvm-prefs win7 default_user to a windows account name to see if that "fixes" it.

Brendan

Glen H

Mar 4, 2018, 11:23:15 PM3/4/18
to qubes-users

Hi Brendan,

That fixes issue 1. I did `qvm-prefs win7 <default_user>` and now "QubesIncoming" is in my home directory. Thanks.

Glen