HCL - ASUS G75VW Notebook (customized)

Patrick Schleizer

Jul 17, 2015, 3:35:22 PM7/17/15
to qubes-users
Hi!

HCL - ASUS G75VW Notebook (customized)

Customized means, the seller customized the notebook for me. Some
components may differ from the original. For whatever this report is
still good for.

A bumpy ride. With the help of the mailing list, I got this device
somewhat working.

#####

kernel 3.12 and 3.18 are affected by gibberish unusable graphic issues.
Required to upgrade to kernel 3.19 for working graphics. Was tricky to
install. Hard to upgrade the kernel if you don't easily get through the
Qubes first time wizard. Thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/lPr_kndwKtQ

kernel upgrade instructions:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/SoftwareUpdateDom0/

#####

Had issues playing YouTube html5 videos (HD) without stuttering. Needed
to enable sound low latency.

Instructions:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/UserDoc/ConfigFiles/

#####

A recently posted, not yet resolved 'irq 19: nobody cared; Call Trace'.

#####

Having issues with temporary as well as permanent freezing due to ssd
kernel errors. Most likely a driver related issue, because this
previously never happened on Debian. Thread:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/FLWtkn8hE2Y

Haven't tried a new ssd yet. Will do so soon.

#####

Secondary hdd, when mounted, constantly goes into power saving mode and
wakes up again. Hearing the head of the hdd park every few seconds. Bad
for the life time of the hdd. Requires running the following command in
dom0 after boot to disable power saving mode.

sudo hdparm -B 255 /dev/sdb

Automating this [by a config file] is still TODO. Hints welcome.

#####

Cheers,
Patrick

Qubes-HCL-ASUSTeK_COMPUTER_INC.-G75VW-20150717-184859.yml

Zrubi

Jul 24, 2015, 4:20:51 AM7/24/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Patrick Schleizer

Jul 24, 2015, 12:54:29 PM7/24/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Zrubi:
> On 07/17/2015 07:35 PM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>
>> HCL - ASUS G75VW Notebook (customized)
>
>> Customized means, the seller customized the notebook for me. Some
>> components may differ from the original. For whatever this report
>> is still good for.
>

> Of course it is useful.
>
> As you may noticed your machine only shows the discrete nVidia card to
> the OS - and most of your problems related to that card

True.

> btw: the FIXME things in the report is mainly for the one will include
> it to the HCL page - you should not have to edit that report ;)

Ah. Good to know! :)

Cheers,
Patrick