How do I get Started?

Qubes User

Dec 2, 2019, 11:43:51 PM12/2/19
to qubes-users
I just installed Qubes on a new laptop. I'm trying to do some basic things not listed on https://www.qubes-os.org/getting-started/

1. How do I get connected to my wi-fi?
2. How do I use an external display with HDMI? (just plugging it in doesn't work for me)
3. How do I reduce the lag on my USB mouse?

Claudia

Dec 3, 2019, 3:10:11 PM12/3/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Qubes User:
> I just installed Qubes on a new laptop. I'm trying to do some basic things
> not listed on https://www.qubes-os.org/getting-started/
>
> 1. How do I get connected to my wi-fi?

The networkmanager applet should appear in the task tray (next to the
clock). Just click on that and select a network. Make sure sys-net is
running. Can you manually launch networkmanager in sys-net? Do you see
your network card in iwconfig, ifconfig, lsusb, lspci, in sys-net?

> 2. How do I use an external display with HDMI? (just plugging it in doesn't
> work for me)

What do you see when you plug it in? "No signal"? Blank screen?

You might have to do some configuration in XFCE. Look under system tools
for monitor/screen settings. Otherwise, you could try installing KDE.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/kde/

Note that a lot of hardware features don't always work in Qubes. HDMI is
not tested very often by Qubes users, so I don't know if HDMI usually
works or not.

Does it work when running a Fedora 25 live CD? Did you have it working
on this machine on any other operating systems?

> 3. How do I reduce the lag on my USB mouse?

I'm afraid I don't know much about this. Are you using dom0 or sys-usb?
Is anything else laggy? Does the touchpad (if any) work alright?

You can try temporarily disabling sys-usb so devices are attached to
dom0. See if it works any better that way.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-qubes/#removing-a-usb-qube

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to ab...@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

Qubes User

Dec 3, 2019, 9:34:15 PM12/3/19
to qubes-users
Thank you for your help.

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 12:10:11 PM UTC-8, Claudia wrote:
Qubes User:
> I just installed Qubes on a new laptop. I'm trying to do some basic things
> not listed on https://www.qubes-os.org/getting-started/
>
> 1. How do I get connected to my wi-fi?

The networkmanager applet should appear in the task tray (next to the
clock). Just click on that and select a network. Make sure sys-net is
running. Can you manually launch networkmanager in sys-net? Do you see
your network card in iwconfig, ifconfig, lsusb, lspci, in sys-net?

When I click the applet, I see:
Ethernet Network
device not managed
VPN Connections >
I don't see my WiFi networks. When I launch network manager in sys-net, I tried
to manually input the information for my WiFi (with the SSID and WPA2/Personal),
but it doesn't connect after.

When I run "lsusb" in the dom0 terminal, I get:
Realtek Semiconductor Corp
VIA Labs, Inc.
Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
blank
Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
VIA Lbs, Inc.
Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver (for my usb mouse)
Terminus Technology Inc.
VIA Labs, Inc.
Intel Corp.
Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
None of these are my network cards, right?

> 2. How do I use an external display with HDMI? (just plugging it in doesn't
> work for me)

What do you see when you plug it in? "No signal"? Blank screen?

You might have to do some configuration in XFCE. Look under system tools
for monitor/screen settings. Otherwise, you could try installing KDE.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/kde/

Note that a lot of hardware features don't always work in Qubes. HDMI is
not tested very often by Qubes users, so I don't know if HDMI usually
works or not.

Does it work when running a Fedora 25 live CD? Did you have it working
on this machine on any other operating systems?
When I plug in my HDMI, nothing happens. On Windows, the external display
works when I plug it in. I can try running Fedora on a live usb to see what happens.

> 3. How do I reduce the lag on my USB mouse?

I'm afraid I don't know much about this. Are you using dom0 or sys-usb?
Is anything else laggy? Does the touchpad (if any) work alright?

You can try temporarily disabling sys-usb so devices are attached to
dom0. See if it works any better that way.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-qubes/#removing-a-usb-qube
I don't think I have usb-qubes enabled. I wasn't able to enable them after installation,
maybe because I have a USB keyboard.
However, my touchpad/trackpad doesn't work. What can I do about that?

pixel fairy

Dec 4, 2019, 3:02:04 AM12/4/19
to qubes-users
What laptop do you have? what mouse do you have?

haaber

Dec 4, 2019, 3:02:43 AM12/4/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> When I click the applet, I see:
> Ethernet Network
> device not managed
> VPN Connections >
> I don't see my WiFi networks. When I launch network manager in sys-net,
> I tried
> to manually input the information for my WiFi (with the SSID and
> WPA2/Personal),
> but it doesn't connect after.

Try lspci in dom0 and look for your wireless adapter (try "lspci |grep
-i wireless" if you are lazy). Then go in the sys-net template (! not
sys-net itself) and verify the firmware for your hardware is installed.
Then reboot sys-net and have a look again. Also check that the hardware
is accessible to sys-net via the "devices" tab of the qubes settings.

Claudia

Dec 4, 2019, 8:57:06 AM12/4/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@gmail.com
Qubes User:
> Thank you for your help.

Happy to do what I can.

First, if you can, please generate an HCL report on the machine and send
it to the mailing list. This will tell us some basic info about your
machine so we have a better idea what we're troubleshooting. (It also
helps the Qubes developers improve compatibility.)

Here's how:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hcl/

> When I click the applet, I see:
> Ethernet Network
> device not managed
> VPN Connections >
> I don't see my WiFi networks. When I launch network manager in sys-net, I
> tried
> to manually input the information for my WiFi (with the SSID and
> WPA2/Personal),
> but it doesn't connect after.
>
> When I run "lsusb" in the dom0 terminal, I get:
> Realtek Semiconductor Corp
> VIA Labs, Inc.
> Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
> blank
> Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
> VIA Lbs, Inc.
> Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver (for my usb mouse)
> Terminus Technology Inc.
> VIA Labs, Inc.
> Intel Corp.
> Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
> None of these are my network cards, right?

By default network cards are assigned to sys-net and are not visible in
dom0 (as far as I know). Open the Qubes Manager -> sys-net -> VM
settings -> Devices tab, and make sure your network card is assigned to
it. So you need to run lsusb or lspci from within sys-net, not dom0. You
should also run `iw list`, `iwconfig`, and/or `ifconfig` in sys-net.

Off the top of my head, the realtek device could be a wireless network
adapter, wired ethernet adapter, or soundcard. There are several others
in that list I don't know what they are. Use `lsusb -v` to show more
information including the device class.

If you still can't find it, next step would probably be to post the
output of `journalctl -k -b` from both dom0 and sys-net. Also, as
another user mentioned, open the **template** for sys-net (probably
fedora-29, or such -- look in the template column of sys-net in the
Qubes Manager) and make sure your wireless card firmware is installed.
Don't attempt to install it in sys-net directly, because it will be lost
on reboot.

Some info about wireless firmware:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Firmware
https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi#USB_Devices

Info about how templates work in Qubes, if you're not familiar:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-domu

>>> 2. How do I use an external display with HDMI? (just plugging it in
>> doesn't
>>> work for me)
>>
>> What do you see when you plug it in? "No signal"? Blank screen?
>>
>> You might have to do some configuration in XFCE. Look under system tools
>> for monitor/screen settings. Otherwise, you could try installing KDE.
>>
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/kde/
>>
>> Note that a lot of hardware features don't always work in Qubes. HDMI is
>> not tested very often by Qubes users, so I don't know if HDMI usually
>> works or not.
>>
>> Does it work when running a Fedora 25 live CD? Did you have it working
>> on this machine on any other operating systems?
>>
> When I plug in my HDMI, nothing happens. On Windows, the external display
> works when I plug it in. I can try running Fedora on a live usb to see what
> happens.

Let us know if it works in Fedora, preferably Fedora 25 as that's what
Qubes 4.0.x is based on. If it doesn't work in F25, try it in F31. You
may want to try each of those in the XFCE flavor as well
(https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/download/index.html), because
Qubes uses XFCE.

You could also try a newer dom0 kernel.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/#kernel-upgrade

Also, just wanted to add, it would be helpful for us to know what GPU
you're using.

>>> 3. How do I reduce the lag on my USB mouse?
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't know much about this. Are you using dom0 or sys-usb?
>> Is anything else laggy? Does the touchpad (if any) work alright?
>>
>> You can try temporarily disabling sys-usb so devices are attached to
>> dom0. See if it works any better that way.
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-qubes/#removing-a-usb-qube
>
> I don't think I have usb-qubes enabled. I wasn't able to enable them after
> installation,
> maybe because I have a USB keyboard.
> However, my touchpad/trackpad doesn't work. What can I do about that?

That I'm also not real sure about. It's been a while since I've had to
troubleshoot a touchpad. Typically they are USB devices, I think. Does
it show up in dom0 lsusb? Do you see anything in `journalctl -k -b |
grep -i input`? Do you know what touchpad you have (e.g. Synaptics,
ALPS, Elantec)?

Here are some basic, non-Qubes tips to start with. Follow these and let
us know what you get.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTouchpadDetection

Also, once again, boot a Fedora live CD and make sure the touchpad works
there. Try 25 first, and if it doesn't work try 31. This will help
narrow it down.

You can also try a newer kernel, as mentioned above.

Claudia

Dec 4, 2019, 9:22:02 AM12/4/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, qubes...@gmail.com
Claudia:

> By default network cards are assigned to sys-net and are not visible in
> dom0 (as far as I know). Open the Qubes Manager -> sys-net -> VM
> settings -> Devices tab, and make sure your network card is assigned to
> it. So you need to run lsusb or lspci from within sys-net, not dom0. You
> should also run `iw list`, `iwconfig`, and/or `ifconfig` in sys-net.

Let me clarify: PCI network cards are assigned to sys-net and not
visible in dom0 by default, regardless of USB Qube. Other PCI devices
remain in dom0.

If using a USB Qube: all USB devices are assigned to sys-usb and not
visible in dom0. I assume USB network cards are automatically passed
thru to sys-net from sys-usb. You also have the option of combining
sys-net and sys-usb into the same Qube so no passthru is necessary. (Or
is that mandatory when using USB network cards and a USB Qube?)

If not using a USB Qube: all USB devices live in dom0, and USB network
cards are passed thru to sys-net the same way they would be from sys-usb
if it were present. Therefore, USB network cards should be visible in
dom0 lsusb, but not dom0 ifconfig, and they should be visible in sys-net
ifconfig but not sys-net lsusb.

I think, at least. Can anyone else verify if this is correct?

bill...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2019, 9:27:02 AM12/4/19
to qubes-users

I'm a relatively new user, too.  I played with Qubes for a month or so a year or two ago, installing it on an external hard drive for a test run.  It was too slow loading for me.  I got a new laptop and put it on my SSD drive a month ago, and it's been working great.

I had the same issue with a second display.  Here's what worked for me with an HP laptop. I plugged in the second display, then went up to the menu in the left side of the upper panel in the Xfce desktop, clicked on System tools -> Display and it was there.  I used that tool to arrange things, and it worked fine.  Since then, it's recognized whenever I plug it into the hdmi port, and a little requestor comes up asking me how I want to organize the displays.  So, for me, at least, I had to do it using the display tool once, and then it worked fine.

Bernhard

Dec 4, 2019, 9:40:48 AM12/4/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

>> By default network cards are assigned to sys-net and are not visible
>> in dom0 (as far as I know). Open the Qubes Manager -> sys-net -> VM
>> settings -> Devices tab, and make sure your network card is assigned
>> to it. So you need to run lsusb or lspci from within sys-net, not
>> dom0. You should also run `iw list`, `iwconfig`, and/or `ifconfig` in
>> sys-net.
> Let me clarify: PCI network cards are assigned to sys-net and not
> visible in dom0 by default, regardless of USB Qube. Other PCI devices
> remain in dom0.
I can "see" they exist by typing lspci in dom0 (including network cards,
and the usb controller). My understanding is that while dom0 can see
them, they cannot see dom0 nor other qubes than the one they are
attached to (and dom0 will not talk to them unless a game-over event
occurred).

> If using a USB Qube: all USB devices are assigned to sys-usb and not
> visible in dom0. I assume USB network cards are automatically passed
> thru to sys-net from sys-usb.
I never checked that. Maybe you need to pass them over by hand. That is
what I would expect at least.
> You also have the option of combining
> sys-net and sys-usb into the same Qube so no passthru is necessary. (Or
> is that mandatory when using USB network cards and a USB Qube?)
USB is one attack surface, network another. I would suggest to keep them
apart. In fact, a USB qube does not need any networking at all (not even
internet access). Imagine its becomes victim of a "bad-usb" then it
still cannot 'break out' and phone home, for example. Actually my
sys-usb is halted by default unless I really need it (consequence: if
you plug any usb device, nothing happens. just nothing.).

Claudia

Dec 5, 2019, 10:36:28 AM12/5/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, haa...@web.de
Bernhard:

>>> By default network cards are assigned to sys-net and are not visible
>>> in dom0 (as far as I know). Open the Qubes Manager -> sys-net -> VM
>>> settings -> Devices tab, and make sure your network card is assigned
>>> to it. So you need to run lsusb or lspci from within sys-net, not
>>> dom0. You should also run `iw list`, `iwconfig`, and/or `ifconfig` in
>>> sys-net.
>> Let me clarify: PCI network cards are assigned to sys-net and not
>> visible in dom0 by default, regardless of USB Qube. Other PCI devices
>> remain in dom0.
> I can "see" they exist by typing lspci in dom0 (including network cards,
> and the usb controller).  My understanding is that while dom0 can see
> them, they cannot see dom0 nor other qubes than the one they are
> attached to (and dom0 will not talk to them unless a game-over event
> occurred).

Looks like you're right. They still show up in dom0 lspci even when
assigned to a VM. If you use 'lspci -k', you'll see that the kernel
driver in use for assigned devices is Xen 'pciback' instead of the
actual driver.

I also think you're right that they cannot "see" dom0, in the sense that
they don't have DMA access to any memory owned by dom0 or any other VM.
On machines with working VT-d at least. On machines without VT-d, the VM
could in theory infect the device and gain access to all the machine's
physical memory. But it's still safer to have devices in their own VMs
such as sys-net and sys-usb, even on machines without VT-d.

The last part, I think you're right, as long as you don't reattach the
device to dom0. When you un-assign a device from a VM it is not
automatically reattached to dom0, as a safety feature. You shouldn't
attach it to any other VMs either, or the device could infect that VM.
You have to reboot, and then un-assign the device without starting the
VM it was assigned to. However it should be safe to re-assign devices
that support the reset command, as long as it is implemented correctly
by the hardware/firmware. I don't know if I would trust it, personally.

The recent QSB 52 fixed a vulnerability where un-assigned devices could
still carry out DMA attacks even without being reattached to dom0 by the
user. If I understand correctly.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/pci-devices/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/device-handling-security/#pci-security
https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2019/10/31/qsb-052/

>> You also have the option of combining
>> sys-net and sys-usb into the same Qube so no passthru is necessary. (Or
>> is that mandatory when using USB network cards and a USB Qube?)
> USB is one attack surface, network another. I would suggest to keep them
> apart. In fact, a USB qube does not need any networking at all (not even
> internet access). Imagine its becomes victim of a "bad-usb"  then it
> still cannot 'break out' and phone home, for example. Actually my

Yeah, it's definitely more secure to have them separate. I think the
option is there in case you run into trouble passing a USB network card
from sys-usb to sys-net. Combining them doesn't require any USB
passthru, just PCI passthru of the USB controllers, so it's simpler and
more likely to work. That would be my guess anyway. I don't really know
how USB passthru works. Also useful for machines that don't have much
ram to spare, maybe.

> sys-usb is halted by default unless I really need it (consequence: if
> you plug any usb device, nothing happens. just nothing.).

Just curious, when you plug in a flash drive while your sys-usb is off,
does the flash drive's LED turn on at all for you? I noticed on one of
my machines, when USB qube is enabled (hide_all_usb), my devices aren't
recognized, and when I plug in a flash drive the LED blinks very briefly
and then turns off. The same flash drive on other OSes, or with USB qube
disabled, the LED normally stays on, and blinks when you access the
drive. (I currently don't have a Qubes machine with a working USB qube I
could try this on.)

Qubes User

Dec 5, 2019, 10:51:39 PM12/5/19
to qubes-users
Hi everyone,
Thank you for all your help and discussion. I posted the HCL for the device I'm troubleshooting -- the latest Lenovo Flex 14 with the i5-10210U. You can find it here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/kamMImlGMNQ

I'm guessing the plan is to set up networking, update the templates and dom0, then troubleshoot the trackpad and external monitor. I plugged in the monitor with HDMI and it didn't show up under System Tools > Display, and my touchpad doesn't show up under System Tools > Mouse and Touchpad. .

Here are the outputs of some of the suggested commands in my sys-net terminal. My sys-net is based of Fedora 29.
[user@sys-net ~]$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

vif3.0    no wireless extensions.

[user@sys-net ~]$ ifconfig
lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 ::1  prefixlen 128  scopeid 0x10<host>
        loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 1606  bytes 129550 (126.5 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 1606  bytes 129550 (126.5 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

vif3.0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.137.0.5  netmask 255.255.255.255  broadcast 0.0.0.0
        inet6 fe80::fcff:ffff:feff:ffff  prefixlen 64  scopeid 0x20<link>
        ether fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff  txqueuelen 32  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 1093  bytes 67624 (66.0 KiB)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 170  bytes 15418 (15.0 KiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

[user@sys-net ~]$ iwlist
Usage: iwlist [interface] scanning [essid NNN] [last]
              [interface] frequency
              [interface] channel
              [interface] bitrate
              [interface] rate
              [interface] encryption
              [interface] keys
              [interface] power
              [interface] txpower
              [interface] retry
              [interface] ap
              [interface] accesspoints
              [interface] peers
              [interface] event
              [interface] auth
              [interface] wpakeys
              [interface] genie
              [interface] modulation

[user@sys-net ~]$ lsusb -v

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0627:0001 Adomax Technology Co., Ltd
Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x0627 Adomax Technology Co., Ltd
  idProduct          0x0001
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                3
  iSerial                 5
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength       0x0022
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          7
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               0.01
          bCountryCode            0 Not supported
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength      74
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0008  1x 8 bytes
        bInterval               4

Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            9 Hub
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0 Full speed (or root) hub
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x1d6b Linux Foundation
  idProduct          0x0002 2.0 root hub
  bcdDevice            4.14
  iManufacturer           3
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 1
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength       0x0019
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xe0
      Self Powered
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower                0mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         9 Hub
      bInterfaceSubClass      0
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 Full speed (or root) hub
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
        bInterval              12

[user@sys-net ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
00:02.0 Unassigned class [ff80]: XenSource, Inc. Xen Platform Device (rev 01)
00:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Device 1234:1111 (rev 02)
00:04.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 10)
00:06.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 02f0

[user@sys-net ~]$ lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc. Qemu virtual machine
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
    Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc. Qemu virtual machine
00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE [Natoma/Triton II]
    Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc. Qemu virtual machine
    Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
    Kernel modules: pata_acpi, ata_generic
00:01.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc. Qemu virtual machine
    Kernel modules: i2c_piix4
00:02.0 Unassigned class [ff80]: XenSource, Inc. Xen Platform Device (rev 01)
    Subsystem: XenSource, Inc. Xen Platform Device
    Kernel driver in use: xen-platform-pci
00:03.0 VGA compatible controller: Device 1234:1111 (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc. Device 1100
    Kernel modules: bochs_drm
00:04.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 10)
    Subsystem: Red Hat, Inc. QEMU Virtual Machine
    Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
    Kernel modules: ehci_pci
00:06.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 02f0
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0034

 There's no Kernel driver in use or Kernel modules as we would expect under the output for lspci -k (as seen on the wireless troubleshooting page). This happens also when I run lspci -k in dom0. Could this be related to the
[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.
that I'm getting on each start-up and shut-down?

When I run lspci |grep -i wireless, I don't receive any output. When I run journalctl -k -b |grep -i input in dom0, I see: Lid Switch, Power Button, Power Button, AT Translated Set 2 keyboard, Ideapad extra buttons, PC Speaker, Integrated Camera: Integrated C, and my logitech receiver and mouses, but I don't see anything about my touchpad.

Any suggestions on what to do next given these outputs?
How can I check whether my firmware is installed correctly in my Fedora 29 template?

I went back to the boot menu to look at my usb installer that I used to install 4.0.1 on my Flex. On the boot menu, I see two options for my usb installer. EFI USB Device (my USB) and USB HDD : my USB. When I go to the EFI option, I don't see the boot menu as shown on the installation guide, but when go to the HDD option, I do. When enter the HDD option and run the test this media, the test fails, and the installation fails. When I run the EFI option, the installer boots and I can install Qubes. What does test media do and what does it mean when it fails? Could having a failed test media result in some of the problems I'm experiencing with my current installation? I used the Rufus tool on Windows and dd mode to create my installation USB. Should I first install something else (e.g., Fedora) then recreate my installation medium using dd from the command line? I'm pretty sure I properly verified my download of the iso (I'm not sure if it's related):
gpg -v --verify Qubes-R4.0.1-x86_64.iso.asc Qubes-R4.0.1-x86_64.iso
gpg: Signature made 01/05/19 19:05:39 Pacific Standard Time
gpg:                using RSA key 5817A43B283DE5A9181A522E1848792F9E2795E9
gpg: using pgp trust model
gpg: Good signature from "Qubes OS Release 4 Signing Key" [full]
gpg: binary signature, digest algorithm SHA256, key algorithm rsa4096

Once again, thank you everyone for the questions, discussion, and suggestions.

Claudia

Dec 6, 2019, 12:12:44 PM12/6/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Qubes User:
> Hi everyone,
> Thank you for all your help and discussion. I posted the HCL for the device
> I'm troubleshooting -- the latest Lenovo Flex 14 with the i5-10210U. You
> can find it here:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/kamMImlGMNQ
>
> I'm guessing the plan is to set up networking, update the templates and
> dom0, then troubleshoot the trackpad and external monitor. I plugged in the
> monitor with HDMI and it didn't show up under System Tools > Display, and
> my touchpad doesn't show up under System Tools > Mouse and Touchpad.

Looking at your lspci, I'm guessing the machine doesn't have any wired
networking? (I was going to suggest using a wired connection temporarily
to install updates)

Just to be clear, are you trying to use a USB wireless card, or the
internal wireless card?
I meant for you to run `iw list`, not `iwlist`, which is a different
command. Sorry for the confusion. However from the iwconfig & ifconfig,
I'm fairly certain it won't show up in `iw list` anyways.
Not sure what this is. Googling Adomax, I get a bunch of keyboards, so
I'm guessing your device's internal keyboard is USB (as opposed to LPC
or the like). Weird that it's showing up in sys-net and not sys-usb.
Also weird that's the only USB device listed besides the hub. I'm not
seeing any USB network cards.
So it looks like your network card is detected but not recognized. If it
is recognized it should show the full name of the device, instead of the
raw product code. In this case, "Intel Wireless-AC 9462". And as you
noted, no kernel drivers are loaded. This card uses 'iwlwifi'.

If this is a relatively new model card, it could be that the kernel is
just too old, and doesn't have the drivers. You could try installing a
newer kernel, but that's going to be difficult without networking.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/newer-hardware-troubleshooting/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-dom0/#kernel-upgrade

Looking at the Linux Kernel Driver Database, I see your device (02f0)
appears to be present in kernel 5.0 at the earliest (if I'm reading it
correctly). https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/WLAN_VENDOR_INTEL.html

Here's a thread about your same card on 5.0.0, with info about manually
installing the firmware. I'm not sure if it helps.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1180765/intel-wifi-card-not-working-on-ubuntu

I sort of don't think it's a firmware issue at this point, though,
because even if the firmware were missing, I think lspci would still
show the full name of the card. Do you see anything in the kernel logs
about the firmware, or about the card at all?

Personally I would first try a newer (>=5.0) kernel, and then tackle the
firmware issue next if it's still not working.

> There's no Kernel driver in use or Kernel modules as we would expect under
> the output for lspci -k (as seen on the wireless troubleshooting page
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/wireless-troubleshooting/>). This happens
> also when I run lspci -k in dom0. Could this be related to the
>
>> [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that on every machine I've ever install Qubes
on, even when everything works fine. I probably wouldn't worry too much
about it, but here's a guide on how to troubleshoot that message:

https://superuser.com/questions/997938/how-do-i-figure-out-why-systemctl-service-systemd-modules-load-fails

Is the network card assigned to sys-net, according to Qubes Manager ->
VM settings -> Devices?

> that I'm getting on each start-up and shut-down?
>
> When I run lspci |grep -i wireless, I don't receive any output. When I run journalctl
> -k -b |grep -i input in dom0, I see: Lid Switch, Power Button, Power
> Button, AT Translated Set 2 keyboard, Ideapad extra buttons, PC Speaker,
> Integrated Camera: Integrated C, and my logitech receiver and mouses, but I
> don't see anything about my touchpad.

Hmm, I can't think of anything at the moment about the touchpad. I'll
have to look into it and get back to you. For now all I can say is try a
newer kernel, as that can fix (or cause) all sorts of different hardware
problems.

> Any suggestions on what to do next given these outputs?
> How can I check whether my firmware is installed correctly in my Fedora 29
> template?
>
> I went back to the boot menu to look at my usb installer that I used to
> install 4.0.1 on my Flex. On the boot menu, I see two options for my usb
> installer. EFI USB Device (my USB) and USB HDD : my USB. When I go to the
> EFI option, I don't see the boot menu as shown on the installation guide
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/installation-guide/>, but when go to the HDD
> option, I do. When enter the HDD option and run the test this media, the
> test fails, and the installation fails. When I run the EFI option, the
> installer boots and I can install Qubes. What does test media do and what
> does it mean when it fails? Could having a failed test media result in some
> of the problems I'm experiencing with my current installation? I used the
> Rufus tool on Windows and dd mode to create my installation USB. Should I
> first install something else (e.g., Fedora) then recreate my installation
> medium using dd from the command line? I'm pretty sure I properly verified
> my download of the iso (I'm not sure if it's related):

It sounds like "USB HDD" is the legacy mode option for the same device.
UEFI is strongly recommended if it's working okay. UEFI bypasses grub,
that's why you don't see the boot menu in UEFI but you do in legacy.

I don't know why it's failing the media test. In theory it should test
and run fine in legacy mode, but that's often not the case. You can try
re-writing the ISO, perhaps on a different USB drive. But I think if the
image were corrupt you'd run into major problems with the installer even
in UEFI mode.

>> gpg -v --verify Qubes-R4.0.1-x86_64.iso.asc Qubes-R4.0.1-x86_64.iso
>> gpg: Signature made 01/05/19 19:05:39 Pacific Standard Time
>> gpg: using RSA key 5817A43B283DE5A9181A522E1848792F9E2795E9
>> gpg: using pgp trust model
>> gpg: Good signature from "Qubes OS Release 4 Signing Key" [full]
>> gpg: binary signature, digest algorithm SHA256, key algorithm rsa4096
>>

> Once again, thank you everyone for the questions, discussion, and
> suggestions.

I looked at your HCL report, and given the number of issues you're
facing, it might be worth trying a R4.1 pre-release build, which is
based on F29 and Xen 4.12. These builds are considered unstable, but you
very well might end up with fewer headaches than the older stable releases.

Here is the latest build (click assets tab for ISO):
https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/4428

By the end of the month, the developers plan on releasing an official
testing ISO for R4.1 based on Fedora 31.
https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes...@googlegroups.com/msg31288.html

Claudia

Dec 6, 2019, 12:12:44 PM12/6/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Claudia:
> I looked at your HCL report, and given the number of issues you're
> facing, it might be worth trying a R4.1 pre-release build, which is
> based on F29 and Xen 4.12. These builds are considered unstable, but you
> very well might end up with fewer headaches than the older stable releases.
>
> Here is the latest build (click assets tab for ISO):
> https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/4428
>
> By the end of the month, the developers plan on releasing an official
> testing ISO for R4.1 based on Fedora 31.
> https://www.mail-archive.com/qubes...@googlegroups.com/msg31288.html

Otherwise, also worth trying is R4.0.2-rc2, which is newer than the
4.0.1 you're using. The default kernel is a few versions newer (4.14 ->
4.19, if I recall correctly). In a few weeks rc2 will either be declared
stable or a new rc will be released. Either way, most likely you'll just
have to install updates; there's a very small chance you'll have to
reinstall from ISO using the new rc ISO.