update error: Jinja variable 'dict object' has no attribute 'os'

qubes...@riseup.net

Jul 18, 2020, 3:59:26 AM7/18/20
to qubes-users
Hi,

I see the following error in the Qubes Update widget window after attempting to upgrade a Fedora 32 template:

Rendering SLS 'base:update.qubes-vm' failed: Jinja variable 'dict object' has no attribute 'os'

I switched the dvm template to fedora 32 as described in:

https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2020/06/30/fedora-32-templates-available/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/#switching

I was not able to find an open issue about this on GH
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues

Do you see the same error?

thanks!

Viktor Ransmayr

Jul 19, 2020, 4:15:36 PM7/19/20
to qubes-users
Yes, I do receive the same error, if I accept the update request from  the top-level menu icon.

The same operation succeeds however, if I trigger it explicitely via the Qube Manager, i.e.

"Start Qube Manager > Select 'fedora-32' >  Update qube" ...

With kind regards,

VR

sysad.andes

Jul 19, 2020, 4:36:31 PM7/19/20
to qubes-users
--

You can also use a simple command line script for this:

qvm-run -u root fedora-32 "sudo dnf update -y" ; qvm-shutdown fedora-32

Emlay

Viktor Ransmayr

Jul 25, 2020, 4:29:30 AM7/25/20
to qubes-users
Hello Emily

Emily schrieb am Sonntag, 19. Juli 2020 um 22:36:31 UTC+2:

I see the following error in the Qubes Update widget window after attempting to upgrade a Fedora 32 template:

Rendering SLS 'base:update.qubes-vm' failed: Jinja variable 'dict object' has no attribute 'os'

I switched the dvm template to fedora 32 as described in:

https://www.qubes-os.org/news/2020/06/30/fedora-32-templates-available/
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/#switching

I was not able to find an open issue about this on GH
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues

Do you see the same error?

> Yes, I do receive the same error, if I accept the update request from  the top-level menu icon.
> The same operation succeeds however, if I trigger it explicitely via the Qube Manager, i.e.
> "Start Qube Manager > Select 'fedora-32' >  Update qube" ...

You can also use a simple command line script for this:

qvm-run -u root fedora-32 "sudo dnf update -y" ; qvm-shutdown fedora-32

I can confirm that the CLI-based Dom0 variant does also work for the 'fedora-32' as well as for the 'fedora-32-minimal' template.

But that should not come as a really surprise, after what I had reported earlier concerning the Qube Manager variant!

Since the original issue reported for the Qubes Update widget window still persists - It just happened again today on my system - the question is now:

Should I raise a bug report - or - is there something else I should check / do before?

With kind regards,

VR

Viktor Ransmayr

Jul 29, 2020, 12:47:03 AM7/29/20
to qubes-users
FYI: Since yesterday, when a combined dom0 & fedora-32 update occured, the error when using the  Qubes Update widget window method is gone.

With kind regards,

VR