Installing qubes-window-tools makes win7 HVM GUI unusable

Jarle Thorsen

Feb 3, 2017, 8:48:03 AM2/3/17
to qubes-users
I have now found the very slow GUI described in my previous thread https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/gzS8Zc9StxQ/gSwEC-fdFAAJ to be a direct result of installing the qubes-windows-tools into the VM.

That's why I'm starting a new thread focusing on this problem here.

After initial install of a brand new win7 VM everything works "just fine", I can drag windows across the desktop even when running VM in max resolution, without any delay.

However after installing qubes-windows-tools and rebooting it is like I am running a totally different OS. If I try to drag a window from one place to the other there is a delay of more than a second before the window is moved to the new location. Using qubes-windows-tools 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 make no difference.

Which log files should I look into (post here?) to track this down?

sander...@gmail.com

May 17, 2017, 2:53:36 AM5/17/17
to qubes-users

I have exactly the same problem.
Do you have found a solution?

I'd like to hear from you.

Greetz,

Sander

Drew White

May 22, 2017, 1:08:37 AM5/22/17
to qubes-users

This is an on-going issue, and may never be resolved.
It has been an issue since Qubes 2.

The version of the tools, there is a way to get it working perfectly for seamless integration.
I have managed it before and I am currently working on the exact instructions to install the tools, 3.2.1.3, and have it working properly. in 3.2.2.3 they broke something that caused it to no longer work.

I run multiple monitors, and their video drivers and all don't permit that, which it should. But that requires a complete rewrite of the tools, which I do not believe that they are doing to do for Qubes 3.*, they may do it for 4.* or higher, but I would not hold my breath for it, because it's all a voluntary thing, and so it can take some time, since that bit is not super high priority as they currently have more pressing business to attend to.

I will let you know how to get it working properly 100% as soon as I can.

Jarle Thorsen

May 22, 2017, 7:49:41 AM5/22/17
to qubes-users
> > I have now found the very slow GUI described in my previous thread https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/gzS8Zc9StxQ/gSwEC-fdFAAJ to be a direct result of installing the qubes-windows-tools into the VM.
> >
> > That's why I'm starting a new thread focusing on this problem here.
> >
> > After initial install of a brand new win7 VM everything works "just fine", I can drag windows across the desktop even when running VM in max resolution, without any delay.
> >
> > However after installing qubes-windows-tools and rebooting it is like I am running a totally different OS. If I try to drag a window from one place to the other there is a delay of more than a second before the window is moved to the new location. Using qubes-windows-tools 3.2.1 or 3.2.2 make no difference.

I totally didn't expect this, but installing i3 window manager in dom0 (instead of default xfce) makes the Windows VM SO much more responsive!

It is still laggy enough that I prefer doing my work via Remmina remote desktop, but it is a big step in the right direction!