HCL - ThinkPad T450s

Maximilian Ronniger

Jan 27, 2016, 10:21:02 AM1/27/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have tested Qubes 3 RC3 on a Lenovo T450s (i7-5600U), and the important components work fine.
Network : Ethernet - OK, WiFi - OK, LTE - untested
Video : resolution - OK, VGA output - OK, DisplayPort - OK (fixed at native resolution)
Keyboard : OK
Touchpad & Trackpoint : OK
USB : OK
Audio : OK (Mikrofon of headset not detected)
SDcard : OK
Suspend to RAM: OK
Docking Station : not tested
Bluetooth, Webcam & Fingerprint Reader: not tested.
Nice work !

Regards,
Max
Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20BXCTO1WW-20160127-063248.yml

Max

Feb 8, 2016, 8:12:58 AM2/8/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

I have (re)tested Qubes 3 RC3 on the Lenovo T450s (i7-5600U).
I have now verified the following details:
Boot only works in Legacy mode, UEFI Boot is not working.
VT-d option available in bios and active by default.
2 TPM Options available, one of them provided by intel,
the other one is a add on TPM Module.

Regards,
Max

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Feb 8, 2016, 8:35:24 AM2/8/16
to Max, qubes-users

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 05:12:58AM -0800, Max wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have (re)tested Qubes 3 RC3 on the Lenovo T450s (i7-5600U).
> I have now verified the following details:
> Boot only works in Legacy mode, UEFI Boot is not working.

What exactly means "not working"? Does it hang during boot? Crash?
Reboot? Any other effect?

There is experimental image focused on UEFI fixes, which is very close
to what will become R3.1-rc3:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/794#issuecomment-181184926

> VT-d option available in bios and active by default.
> 2 TPM Options available, one of them provided by intel,
> the other one is a add on TPM Module.
>
> Regards,
> Max
>
> Am Mittwoch, 27. Januar 2016 16:21:02 UTC+1 schrieb Maximilian Ronniger:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have tested Qubes 3 RC3 on a Lenovo T450s (i7-5600U), and the important components work fine.
> > Network : Ethernet - OK, WiFi - OK, LTE - untested
> > Video : resolution - OK, VGA output - OK, DisplayPort - OK (fixed at native resolution)
> > Keyboard : OK
> > Touchpad & Trackpoint : OK
> > USB : OK
> > Audio : OK (Mikrofon of headset not detected)
> > SDcard : OK
> > Suspend to RAM: OK
> > Docking Station : not tested
> > Bluetooth, Webcam & Fingerprint Reader: not tested.
> > Nice work !
> >
> > Regards,
> > Max

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Maximilian Ronniger

Feb 8, 2016, 9:17:55 AM2/8/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Hey,

> Am 08.02.16 um 14:35 schrieb Marek Marczykowski-Górecki <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com>:
> > Boot only works in Legacy mode, UEFI Boot is not working.
>
> What exactly means "not working"? Does it hang during boot? Crash?
> Reboot? Any other effect?
>
> There is experimental image focused on UEFI fixes, which is very close
> to what will become R3.1-rc3:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/794#issuecomment-181184926
I am booting from a USB Disk, as this Maschine is not my laptop.
If in the BIOS the boot option says „UEFI only“ and i select the USB Disk from the bios boot menu,
I promptly returned to the bios boot menu.
So it seams that the BISO does not recognize my USB Disk as a boot medium in UEFI Mode.
(This might be because i installed the USB Key in legacy mode?)

If „Legacy Boot“ i selected in the BIOS and i select the USB Key from the bios boot menu,
Qubes is started and I am asked for the Disk Password in the Process.

I guess the problem here is that the BIOS can not boot from a external USB Disk for some reason.

Best Regards,
Max

2yv13f+7cl...@guerrillamail.com

Feb 8, 2016, 9:22:53 AM2/8/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Another big limitation on the PCI passthrough on this model - when assigning one of the PCI controllers (00:14.0) from dom0 to one VM, in order to enable, let's say the camera, all the USB 3.0 ports will no longer function, since this is the only one PCI controller that has all the USB ports assigned.

----
Sent using GuerrillaMail.com
Block or report abuse: https://www.guerrillamail.com/abuse/?a=UFR2AB5NVqcQmh2U93EQdRjCStifx8dDiadNcQ%3D%3D

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Feb 8, 2016, 9:37:44 AM2/8/16
to Maximilian Ronniger, qubes-users

William Waites

Feb 8, 2016, 10:10:15 AM2/8/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I've recently re-adopted an old practice: when I'm out, I use my
laptop, typing on its keyboard, and when I go to the office, I plug it
into a screen and venerable Sun keyboard. Trouble is, the laptop has
one keymap and the Sun keyboard has another. This is particularly
annoying as the discrepancy makes the | and \ symbols inaccessible:
it is not possible to simply run with the wrong mapping.

Normally this would not be a problem, it is easy to swap keymaps,
however with Qubes I find that changing the keymap has no effect on
already-running virtual machines. A new one started after the
connecting of the keyboard and changing of the keymap will work as
expected, at least until the keymap is changed again.

It appears that virtual machines learn about their keymaps when they
are created and do not change afterwards. Is there a way to cause the
resynchronisation of keymaps with dom0?

Cheers,
-w

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki