Wifi not reconnecting after sleep

Dominique St-Pierre Boucher

May 20, 2017, 10:23:11 AM5/20/17
to qubes-users
Hello Qubes users

Everything was working fine until updates were installed a couples of week back. I was unable to get wifi access back after a sleep. My sys-net vm use a minimal debian stretch template and I never had a sleep issue before.

I have included part of the syslog after the sleep. I you need more info, I still have the full syslog.

Anyone have seen this before?

Thanks

Dominique

wifi.log

Reg Tiangha

May 20, 2017, 6:53:16 PM5/20/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
What version of the kernel are you running?

To find out, open up a terminal in dom0 and type in

uname -r

Reg Tiangha

May 20, 2017, 7:00:14 PM5/20/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
And do it in sys-net as well, in case you're running different kernels
between the two for whatever reason.

Dominique St-Pierre Boucher

May 21, 2017, 7:39:33 AM5/21/17
to qubes-users, r...@reginaldtiangha.com

Same Kernel!!! 4.9.28-16.pvops.qubes.x86_64

Dominique

Reg Tiangha

May 21, 2017, 9:00:38 AM5/21/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/21/2017 05:39 AM, Dominique St-Pierre Boucher wrote:
> Same Kernel!!! 4.9.28-16.pvops.qubes.x86_64
>
> Dominique

There is one thing I can think of trying that may help, but it would
require testing. Do you feel comfortable in compiling your own kernel?
If so, I can add the *possible* fix to one of my testing branches.
Otherwise, you'll have to wait until 4.9.29 makes it into a repository,
but I don't know how long that will take.

Let me know.

Reg Tiangha

May 21, 2017, 9:19:56 AM5/21/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Or maybe you could try this and fix it yourself right away:

https://elementaryos.stackexchange.com/questions/4623/no-wi-fi-after-sleep

If it works, that'd be the better solution.

Reg Tiangha

May 21, 2017, 1:31:24 PM5/21/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I think I may have found another way to address this in the
kernel (basically, disabling power management in the Intel wifi driver,
since the general consensus is that it's still buggy and everyone on
other distros with this problem have addressed it by blacklisting the
module like in the link above).

It'll be in my 4.9.29 pull request (still waiting for a bit more
feedback on the 4.9 kernel in general in case there are other things I
might be able to address, but if there's nothing else, I'll probably
send that PR later today after I finish testing a few other things), but
if you need an immediate fix, try the tip above or place

iwlmvm iwlwifi

in /rw/config/suspend-module-blacklist in your sys-net VM.

Reg Tiangha

May 21, 2017, 9:47:48 PM5/21/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 05/21/2017 11:31 AM, Reg Tiangha wrote:
> Actually, I think I may have found another way to address this in the
> kernel (basically, disabling power management in the Intel wifi driver,
> since the general consensus is that it's still buggy and everyone on
> other distros with this problem have addressed it by blacklisting the
> module like in the link above).
>
> It'll be in my 4.9.29 pull request (still waiting for a bit more
> feedback on the 4.9 kernel in general in case there are other things I
> might be able to address, but if there's nothing else, I'll probably
> send that PR later today after I finish testing a few other things), but
> if you need an immediate fix, try the tip above or place
>
> iwlmvm iwlwifi
>
> in /rw/config/suspend-module-blacklist in your sys-net VM.

Well, I've just submitted the pull request. For those with Intel wifi
cards not coming up correctly after suspend/sleep, be on the lookout for
kernel 4.9.29 or higher some time in the future and see if that works
around the issue without having to blacklist any modules.