Next major release of Qubes OS

John Smiley

Dec 5, 2019, 7:27:33 PM12/5/19
to qubes-devel
I've read various things that hint at some major changes coming to Qubes OS and so I have been holding off continuing to invest my time in diving deep into the current implementation.  In particular, I've seen indications that Qubes is migrating away from Xen and toward KVM.  Xen seems to be "mostly dead" as Billy Crystal would say and many services either already have or are well on their way to replacing it with KVM.  There also seems to be movement toward more lightweight solutions for isolating processes than virtual machines, as seen in Subgraph/Citadel/Oz (which oddly have not seen much attention in recent years if GitHub is anything to go by).

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I would like to hear from the Qubes developers what the roadmap looks like in this regard.  Some of us would probably be more inclined to devote our time to assisting you if we knew such projects were in the works.

Please share with us what you can.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 5, 2019, 9:25:55 PM12/5/19
to John Smiley, qubes-devel

On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 04:27:33PM -0800, John Smiley wrote:
> I've read various things that hint at some major changes coming to Qubes OS
> and so I have been holding off continuing to invest my time in diving deep
> into the current implementation. In particular, I've seen indications that
> Qubes is migrating away from Xen and toward KVM.

This is very much not true. We are considering adding support for KVM,
but Xen isn't going away anytime soon.

> Xen seems to be "mostly
> dead" as Billy Crystal would say and many services either already have or
> are well on their way to replacing it with KVM.

Well, yes and no, mostly no. There are some services that are starting
to use KVM, but the same applies to Xen. I think you mostly have Amazon in
mind, which indeed started to have some VMs on KVM. On the other
hand, this year their contributions to open source Xen have very much
intensified, including development of many new features. Besides that,
Xen is getting popularity in automotive sector, and there are ongoing
efforts for safety certification. Yet another thing that is totally
unrealistic with KVM architecture.

You may want to look at Xen Summit recap:
https://xenproject.org/2019/07/29/xen-project-developer-and-design-summit-recap/

> There also seems to be
> movement toward more lightweight solutions for isolating processes than
> virtual machines, as seen in Subgraph/Citadel/Oz (which oddly have not seen
> much attention in recent years if GitHub is anything to go by).

Well, people are using containers for a long time already. While indeed
it is much more lightweight, this approach have also severe limits -
everything running on the same (huge, monolithic) kernel. Leaving alone
much bigger attack surface of all the syscalls (which you can slightly
mitigate with seccomp and similar techniques), this makes it impossible
to isolate kernel components from each other. Including drivers, network
stack etc.

> I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I would like to hear from the Qubes
> developers what the roadmap looks like in this regard. Some of us would
> probably be more inclined to devote our time to assisting you if we knew
> such projects were in the works.

The current plan for major features of Qubes OS 4.1 is:
- experimental GUI VM and Audio VM (very limited and not yet ready for
daily usage)
- new qrexec policy format and significant qrexec performance
improvements
- major improvement for UEFI compatibility (grub2-efi is back, some
changes in Xen to make it more uniform with Linux)
- as usual, updated templates and dom0 (but still Fedora)

You can also see draft release notes:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/828/files

I'd say the above is 80-90% done. There is a possibility the first
release candidate will be already this month.

In the meantime we're also working on a reliable GPU passthrough with
focus on Intel, without sacrificing security much (specifically, without
running unsandboxed qemu), but it's not going to be part of R4.1 yet.
Having that, and more tested and improved GUI VM integration would allow
to make it default and greatly reduce size of dom0.

With such reduced dom0, we can consider another distribution there. It
hasn't been decided on a specific one yet, but I'm strongly considering
Yocto/OpenEmbedded - for its ability to build small system. Maybe even
small enough to fit in RAM, which would allow running dom0 disk-less,
opening a path to many cool features like storage domain. But it would
also allow easier code sharing with OpenXT project.
Anyway, at this point, user would not directly interact with dom0, so it
will be very much transparent (i.e. even if that would be Debian - which
is another option - you won't have a chance to call apt-get there). What
user will interact with, is a GUI VM, which would be much more flexible
in distribution choice (basically - whatever template we currently
support).

But also, with GUI VM separated from all-powerful dom0, we can consider
some options for video acceleration access for selected VMs. There are
various paths here to be explored, with different hardware requirements,
and different security properties. But that's for late 2020 at the earliest.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Demi M. Obenour

Dec 6, 2019, 9:37:31 AM12/6/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 2019-12-05 21:25, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 04:27:33PM -0800, John Smiley wrote:
>> I've read various things that hint at some major changes coming to Qubes OS
>> and so I have been holding off continuing to invest my time in diving deep
>> into the current implementation. In particular, I've seen indications that
>> Qubes is migrating away from Xen and toward KVM.
>
> This is very much not true. We are considering adding support for KVM,
> but Xen isn't going away anytime soon.
>
>> Xen seems to be "mostly
>> dead" as Billy Crystal would say and many services either already have or
>> are well on their way to replacing it with KVM.
>
> Well, yes and no, mostly no. There are some services that are starting
> to use KVM, but the same applies to Xen. I think you mostly have Amazon in
> mind, which indeed started to have some VMs on KVM. On the other
> hand, this year their contributions to open source Xen have very much
> intensified, including development of many new features. Besides that,
> Xen is getting popularity in automotive sector, and there are ongoing
> efforts for safety certification. Yet another thing that is totally
> unrealistic with KVM architecture.

Sadly, the safety certification is focused on ARM, but I would love
to see this on x86 as well.

> You may want to look at Xen Summit recap:
> https://xenproject.org/2019/07/29/xen-project-developer-and-design-summit-recap/
>
>> There also seems to be
>> movement toward more lightweight solutions for isolating processes than
>> virtual machines, as seen in Subgraph/Citadel/Oz (which oddly have not seen
>> much attention in recent years if GitHub is anything to go by).
>
> Well, people are using containers for a long time already. While indeed
> it is much more lightweight, this approach have also severe limits -
> everything running on the same (huge, monolithic) kernel. Leaving alone
> much bigger attack surface of all the syscalls (which you can slightly
> mitigate with seccomp and similar techniques), this makes it impossible
> to isolate kernel components from each other. Including drivers, network
> stack etc.

Agreed. In some cases, one can get very strong isolation because
only a very small number of syscalls are required, but those cases
are rare for general-purpose software.

>> I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I would like to hear from the Qubes
>> developers what the roadmap looks like in this regard. Some of us would
>> probably be more inclined to devote our time to assisting you if we knew
>> such projects were in the works.
>
> The current plan for major features of Qubes OS 4.1 is:
> - experimental GUI VM and Audio VM (very limited and not yet ready for
> daily usage)
> - new qrexec policy format and significant qrexec performance
> improvements
> - major improvement for UEFI compatibility (grub2-efi is back, some
> changes in Xen to make it more uniform with Linux)
> - as usual, updated templates and dom0 (but still Fedora)

Will UEFI compatibility also include providing UEFI to VMs?

I will work on my socket-based qrexec PR this weekend.

> You can also see draft release notes:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/828/files
>
> I'd say the above is 80-90% done. There is a possibility the first
> release candidate will be already this month.
>
> In the meantime we're also working on a reliable GPU passthrough with
> focus on Intel, without sacrificing security much (specifically, without
> running unsandboxed qemu), but it's not going to be part of R4.1 yet.
> Having that, and more tested and improved GUI VM integration would allow
> to make it default and greatly reduce size of dom0.
>
> With such reduced dom0, we can consider another distribution there. It
> hasn't been decided on a specific one yet, but I'm strongly considering
> Yocto/OpenEmbedded - for its ability to build small system. Maybe even
> small enough to fit in RAM, which would allow running dom0 disk-less,
> opening a path to many cool features like storage domain. But it would
> also allow easier code sharing with OpenXT project.
> Anyway, at this point, user would not directly interact with dom0, so it
> will be very much transparent (i.e. even if that would be Debian - which
> is another option - you won't have a chance to call apt-get there). What
> user will interact with, is a GUI VM, which would be much more flexible
> in distribution choice (basically - whatever template we currently
> support).

How will debugging of dom0 work? Obviously, nobody who is not working
on Qubes itself will need to do this, but you probably will.

> But also, with GUI VM separated from all-powerful dom0, we can consider
> some options for video acceleration access for selected VMs. There are
> various paths here to be explored, with different hardware requirements,
> and different security properties. But that's for late 2020 at the earliest.

That is very exciting! I understand that that will take a long time, though.

Sincerely,

Demi

PS: Where can I verify your email signing key? That it isn’t
obvious to me is probably my fault.

signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 6, 2019, 9:57:19 AM12/6/19
to Demi M. Obenour, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Charles Peters

Dec 6, 2019, 4:59:46 PM12/6/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 9:25 PM Marek Marczykowski-Górecki <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

The current plan for major features of Qubes OS 4.1 is:
 - experimental GUI VM and Audio VM (very limited and not yet ready for
   daily usage)
 - new qrexec policy format and significant qrexec performance
   improvements
 - major improvement for UEFI compatibility (grub2-efi is back, some
   changes in Xen to make it more uniform with Linux)
 - as usual, updated templates and dom0 (but still Fedora)

You can also see draft release notes:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/828/files

Any plans to use Stratis, https://stratis-storage.github.io/, and xfs instead of ext4 or lvm-thin pools?

The option for not encrypting backups is missing, and the man page -e or --encrypt is ignored, backups are always encrypted...  I would prefer to have backups without encryption, or some automated backup process.

Chuck

John Smiley

Dec 6, 2019, 5:20:09 PM12/6/19
to qubes-devel
Thank you both for the detailed and prompt responses.  While I'm technical in some areas, virtualization is still new territory for me so I may not fully grasp the significance of what I read or hear or may attribute it greater significance than it actually has.  For example, I have read that Google Cloud uses KVM instead of Xen.  I inferred from that that any safety certification issues with KVM had been dealt with.  I would love to know more about why this is a problem.  Similarly for AWS, but that applies less for them since they are using a very stripped down and customized version of KVM.  They've even gotten as far as removing the need for a hypervisor entirely on their new stack.  Certainly, moving off of Xen and embracing KVM would open up the hardware requirements and make Qubes far more accessible.  My own experience of trying to get Xen 4.12 running on the various Intel platforms I have at home was quite a challenge.  KVM was a breeze.  Still, if KVM has significant security issues vs Xen, it doesn't matter how easy to use it is.  I assumed that Google's use of KVM put them in the same league security-wise as Xen.

It seems to me that the crux of any good secure endpoint OS is process isolation.  Qubes does this today with Xen domains, which are effective, but resource heavy.  Other efforts to build a secure OS seem to be focusing on more light-weight approaches such as various types of containers and/or leveraging the features of modern processors to create enclaves where such processes can run.  I thought Subgraph/Citadel/Oz was onto something there, but it seems to have fizzled out.  Another example where others are using lightweight process isolation are browsers like Chrome (which already has it) and Firefox (which is in Beta).  I know that browser process isolation is not even on the same playing field as Qubes in terms of security and privacy protection, but the idea of extending this to the OS and apps has a lot of merit.

Qubes123

Dec 7, 2019, 11:33:59 AM12/7/19
to qubes-devel
[...]

In connection with this topic - how do you plan to pass the VBIOS binary to the Xen VM?  I assume this will be required - maybe not for Intel iGPUs, but for the rest..Some cards will need a blob to work in the guivm. And since these blobs are already there in dom0, it will even be more secure to have those only in the guivm.
Will it be done via Libvirt using the libxl xml's?
I did some testing already and it seems the <rom file='/path' /> in the pci.xml template seem to "survive" the schema validations, and therefore the file could be available for qemu to pass to the VM.  However, so far
I couldn't get it passed yet, some patching is still needed to be done..

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 7, 2019, 11:38:36 AM12/7/19
to Qubes123, qubes-devel

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 10, 2019, 9:45:26 PM12/10/19
to Charles Peters, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Foppe de Haan

Dec 12, 2019, 11:31:56 AM12/12/19
to qubes-devel

On Friday, December 6, 2019 at 3:25:55 AM UTC+1, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
The current plan for major features of Qubes OS 4.1 is:
 - experimental GUI VM and Audio VM (very limited and not yet ready for
   daily usage)
 - new qrexec policy format and significant qrexec performance
   improvements
 - major improvement for UEFI compatibility (grub2-efi is back, some
   changes in Xen to make it more uniform with Linux)
 - as usual, updated templates and dom0 (but still Fedora)

You can also see draft release notes:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/828/files

I'd say the above is 80-90% done. There is a possibility the first
release candidate will be already this month.

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Maybe this month already? Cool. :) Will it be possible to simply restore r4.0 VMs, upgrade relevant packages, go?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 12, 2019, 11:52:48 AM12/12/19
to Foppe de Haan, qubes-devel

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 13, 2019, 7:12:46 AM12/13/19
to OutBackdingo, qubes-devel

Rob Townley

Dec 13, 2019, 8:06:56 AM12/13/19
to John Smiley, qubes-devel
On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 4:20 PM John Smiley <jrsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

A third party company may have persuaded Citrix XEN to limit development, but that has only meant that xcp-ng.org / XOA / XOSAN has taken off.  But that is XenServer.

The hardware requirements for XenServer  XEN have been fairly minimal, but Qubes-OS XEN has a much much more restrictive set of hardware requirements in order to meet security goals.  Wish the rest of the industry embraced security hardware such  as much as Qubes.

People run the latest version of xcp-ng  8 on old desktops for testing purposes even using vGPUs from several year old Graphics cards.

Brendan Hoar

Dec 13, 2019, 1:39:20 PM12/13/19
to qubes-devel
On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 8:06:56 AM UTC-5, RJT wrote:
A third party company may have persuaded Citrix XEN to limit development, but that has only meant that xcp-ng.org / XOA / XOSAN has taken off.  But that is XenServer.

The hardware requirements for XenServer  XEN have been fairly minimal, but Qubes-OS XEN has a much much more restrictive set of hardware requirements in order to meet security goals.  Wish the rest of the industry embraced security hardware such  as much as Qubes.

People run the latest version of xcp-ng  8 on old desktops for testing purposes even using vGPUs from several year old Graphics cards.

Openxt has similar workstation hardware requirements. Their downstream enterprise users are given predefined hardware options (similar to Qubes HCL).

[OpenXT is another Xen based workstation platform ("partitioning digital persona") and the underlying tech for US DOD/IC's SecureView workstation.]

An aside: from what I can see on the lists, in addition to Qubes team upstreaming fixes/requests to core Xen, Qubes and openxt teams have been sharing code/ideas.

... which reminds me a bit of this Looney Tunes cartoon with Sam (perhaps representing openxt user base) and Ralph (perhaps representing Qubes user base) clocking out together after a long day of work as adversaries ... maybe grabbing lunch break together ...

:P

Brendan

PS - depending on your position, you might flip the characters of course.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 13, 2019, 8:16:27 PM12/13/19
to Brendan Hoar, qubes-devel

Foppe de Haan

Dec 17, 2019, 1:43:55 AM12/17/19
to qubes-devel
xen 4.13 is no longer planned for Qubes 4.1, btw?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 17, 2019, 10:44:04 AM12/17/19
to Foppe de Haan, qubes-devel