Qubes R3.3

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Dec 26, 2017, 12:08:30 PM12/26/17
to qubes-devel
Hi,

Just a copy on the devel list to follow a topic in the user list (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/KYl6FWhP_IQ/e1pMgfc9AwAJ)

I succeed to build an ISO based on release3.2 with Fedora 25 as dom0, Fedora 26 as default template, Stretch as default template and kernel-4.9.

It is done with some adjustments:
- xen-4.6.6 with a gmp patch (need to check if it is related to the fact I'm using a KVM VM to build the packages)
- core-libvirt v3.1.0 (due to python version),
- back port of some commits related to mgmt-salt,
- and also, some backport in the installer to handle Fedora 25 and for default template Fedora 26 and Debian 9.

In my repos I named it release3.3 instead of 3.2.1 because it goes just a bit far than the targeted goal with dom0 as FC25.

Marek: Should I do a complete report for let you rebuild the whole thing or you would like to skip this release?

There is still small polish to do like putting the proper Qubes R3.2 tag in the system (like in /etc/fedora-release) and the case, to create release3.3 branch on all the packages. Before doing this, I'm waiting for your feedback.

Outback Dingo

Dec 26, 2017, 1:11:55 PM12/26/17
to Frédéric Pierret (fepitre), qubes-devel
> --

very nice work

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Dec 26, 2017, 1:33:13 PM12/26/17
to qubes-devel
Thank you. I'm doing this because I know there is more and more people who are concerns with new hardware and also newer templates (first of all me ;)! ). Notably, I hope it will release a bit of pressure on the core-team to release the R4.0 for which there is still long and hard work to do.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 27, 2017, 4:53:58 AM12/27/17
to Frédéric Pierret (fepitre), qubes-devel

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Dec 27, 2017, 5:05:32 AM12/27/17
to qubes-devel
Ok.

For those who are interested, I will put a builder conf until end of the day.

awokd

Dec 27, 2017, 5:09:28 AM12/27/17
to "Frédéric Pierret ", qubes-devel
On Wed, December 27, 2017 10:05 am, Frédéric Pierret (fepitre) wrote:

> For those who are interested, I will put a builder conf until end of the
> day.

I'd like to see it! Where should I look?

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Dec 27, 2017, 5:16:02 AM12/27/17
to qubes-devel
I will put it before the end of the day. I'm rebuilding again an ISO to test some adjustments.

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Dec 30, 2017, 4:47:34 PM12/30/17
to qubes-devel
For those who want to try:

1: git clone -b master-fepitre https://github.com/fepitre/qubes-builder
2: use the builder-R3.3.conf joined to this message
3: make qubes template ISO
4: burn the ISO and have fun :)

The master-fepitre branch is just the master one with my signing key added in the trusted key when verifying the git tags (check it!)

Of course, you will not have any update from the officials repositories. You can do your own repos or if there is really a need, I could do something about it.

Please keep in mind this is an UNOFFICIAL release. This is not polish as it should be and I have not had time to test everything (e.g. backup). Also, the few problems with Debian 9 (X not starting etc, I have not took the time to correct it as it will be done in the officials repositories very soon).

As I said in my initial post, only few backports was needed with respect to the master branches. From my side, using a more recent version of core-libvirt lead me to recover the use of dispvm! The use of dom0 FC25 allows me to finally use more recent packages for some dom0 custom things.

Next step, wait for the great R4.0 :)
builder-R3.3.conf