Fedora 27

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Nov 2, 2017, 11:37:48 AM11/2/17
to qubes-devel
Hi,

Maybe you have seen that Fedora 26 is supported for building (see qubes-builder) and it is on the road to be officially released (Marek can you confirm?) in Qubes R3.2 and R4.0. Just to let you know that I have prepared and built Fedora 27 template for Qubes 4.0 and everything seems to work: qubes tools, sound (pulseaudio 11.1) etc. I don't plan to test it for R3.2 but it should be straightforward if needed.

Notably, we could discuss what would be dom0 in 4.1: I tried Fedora 26 and I will also try Fedora 27.

There is still things to do for the installer, specifically, rewrite few things about passwords in Anaconda (see https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-devel/l9xDmPXpNfg/NJyHRP_EAQAJ) but I should work on it in the next days.

pixel fairy

Nov 16, 2017, 3:50:39 PM11/16/17
to qubes-devel
why not skip 26 and just go to fedora-27 for dom0 in 4.0?

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Nov 17, 2017, 2:20:03 AM11/17/17
to qubes-devel
Le jeudi 16 novembre 2017 21:50:39 UTC+1, pixel fairy a écrit :
why not skip 26 and just go to fedora-27 for dom0 in 4.0?

In view of the changes in the release date for Q4.0, it will be probably the case. There is no such differences between F26 and F27 but we encountered some minor problems with the packaging system which has to be polish (https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-core-qubesdb/pull/7 and https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1508). I have not so much time to work on it these days, I'm quite busy.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 17, 2017, 4:34:37 AM11/17/17
to Frédéric Pierret (fepitre), qubes-devel

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Nov 17, 2017, 4:41:11 AM11/17/17
to qubes-devel

Le vendredi 17 novembre 2017 10:34:37 UTC+1, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki a écrit :

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 08:37:47AM -0700, Frédéric Pierret (fepitre) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe you have seen that Fedora 26 is supported for building (see
> qubes-builder) and it is on the road to be officially released (Marek can
> you confirm?) in Qubes R3.2 and R4.0.

Yes. Actually both are already uploaded to repositories. The only thing
left to do is to update documentation (template upgrade etc) and make
the proper announcement.

> Just to let you know that I have
> prepared and built Fedora 27 template for Qubes 4.0 and everything seems to
> work: qubes tools, sound (pulseaudio 11.1) etc. I don't plan to test it for
> R3.2 but it should be straightforward if needed.
>
> Notably, we could discuss what would be dom0 in 4.1: I tried Fedora 26 and
> I will also try Fedora 27.

Since we have some time until 4.1, I think it can be F27. But we have
plans to implement GUI VM there, which means we will not need X server
(and the whole desktop environment) in dom0 anymore. We will need them
in the GUI VM (so, some template). This means switching dom0
distribution (even to something different than Fedora) should be much
simpler. We're not yet sure if we'll do it for 4.1 or later release, but
this is definitely somewhere on the roadmap.

Indeed, this will be a significant step forward! I guess this will make easier to have for example CentOS or Debian as dom0 for long term support. Most of my troubles of implementing CentOS as dom0 are gui components due to python libraries...

Henry de Valence

Nov 17, 2017, 2:20:33 PM11/17/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Frédéric Pierret (fepitre), qubes-devel
On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 10:34:30AM +0100, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> Since we have some time until 4.1, I think it can be F27. But we have
> plans to implement GUI VM there, which means we will not need X server
> (and the whole desktop environment) in dom0 anymore. We will need them
> in the GUI VM (so, some template). This means switching dom0
> distribution (even to something different than Fedora) should be much
> simpler. We're not yet sure if we'll do it for 4.1 or later release, but
> this is definitely somewhere on the roadmap.

What are the current plans for Wayland and Qubes? Fedora is well on their way
to deprecating X, and the rest of the Linux ecosystem is moving in that
direction too, so it will have to happen at some point. My understanding is
that the Wayland protocol is much more sane than X and is already much more
similar to the Qubes GUI protocol than X11 is. Does it make sense to do that
as part of changing to having a GUI VM?

Henry

Vít Šesták

Nov 18, 2017, 6:18:59 AM11/18/17
to qubes-devel
Do you mean Wayland in AppVMs, dom0, or in both?

For AppVMs, I don't care much while X11 is supported.

For dom0, it might be important for hardware support.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Frédéric Pierret (fepitre)

Nov 18, 2017, 6:40:13 AM11/18/17
to qubes-devel
One of the big advantage here to separate GUI from dom0 is to make easier to have another dom0 distro.