R2B1 HCL: ThinkPad X61T

George Walker

Dec 27, 2012, 5:43:47 PM12/27/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
R2 seems to mostly work on my ThinkPad X61t.  Sound / video/ wired ethernet / wifi / power management / volume and brightness control from the keyboard work great.  Wacom tablet functionality and navigation buttons around the bezel Just Work (which was incidentally not the case in Windows 8RC).  Docking and undocking were similarly uneventful.

Untested: IEEE1394, PCMCIA, serial port, and HVM support.

Installation:

Qubes installed mostly without incident from the docking station's optical drive, save that the user may (and I did) inadvertently hit the "Finish" button while the installer was still preconfiguring Service and AppVMs, causing the process to fail.  There was no way to restart the process, so I had to reinstall from scratch.  I doubt this issue is unique to my hardware.

I had no luck installing from a USB key.  I didn't have a *nix machine from which to DD, so tried DD for Windows, which crashed under Windows 7 and 8.  I used an Ubuntu-for-EEE ISO->USB tool to create the installation media.  It got as far as looking for an installation image, at which point it could not access my USB key.  It looked like it was trying, however, because right before the error message asserting it was unable to access the media, the USB key activity light blinked.

Not working:

Major issues:
I figured out how to attach block devices in the VM manager, but even so, when I try to open my attached device in the appropriate VM it still gives an error (can't find /media/).  That said, I can now navigate to flash within the appropriate VM once I do away with the error message.  This is more than I can say for my optical media, which is not recognized, mounted, acknowledged or anything else.

Nautilus shows a mysterious "11GB volume," presumably one of Qubes partitions?,  which, when clicked, produces an error.  I would copy and paste these error messages into this message, but...

I am unable to copy and paste between VMs, not between Firefox instances in different AppVMs and not between Dom0 and any VM.  I thought that copy/paste between VMs was supposed to be a banner feature.  *Confused*.

Minor issues:
No middle-mouse-button scrolling support that I could find in the HMI control panel.  Bizarrely, the middle mouse button Pastes instead.

The screen rotation button on my bezel precipitates an inscrutable (putatively) error icon, which looks like most of a box with two little window-panes at the bottom "X" through the bottom right portion.

George Walker

Dec 27, 2012, 5:49:18 PM12/27/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Please disregards my comments re copy and paste.  I just rtfm.  Sorry.

Marek Marczykowski

Jan 10, 2013, 12:06:12 PM1/10/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, George Walker
On 27.12.2012 23:43, George Walker wrote:
> R2 seems to mostly work on my ThinkPad X61t. Sound / video/ wired ethernet
> / wifi / power management / volume and brightness control from the keyboard
> work great. Wacom tablet functionality and navigation buttons around the
> bezel Just Work (which was incidentally not the case in Windows 8RC).
> Docking and undocking were similarly uneventful.
>
> *Untested:* IEEE1394, PCMCIA, serial port, and HVM support.
>
> *Installation:*
>
> Qubes installed *mostly* without incident from the docking station's
> optical drive, save that the user may (and I did) inadvertently hit the
> "Finish" button while the installer was still preconfiguring Service and
> AppVMs, causing the process to fail. There was no way to restart the
> process, so I had to reinstall from scratch. I doubt this issue is unique
> to my hardware.
>
> I had no luck installing from a USB key. I didn't have a *nix machine from
> which to DD, so tried DD for Windows, which crashed under Windows 7 and 8.
> I used an Ubuntu-for-EEE ISO->USB tool to create the installation media.
> It got as far as looking for an installation image, at which point it could
> not access my USB key. It looked like it was trying, however, because
> right before the error message asserting it was unable to access the media,
> the USB key activity light blinked.

The Qubes ISO is ready to write to USB stick directly without any conversion
like ISO->USB.
Perhaps liveusb-creator can do the job (with "Use existing Live CD"), but not
sure. We use the same method for USB installation as Fedora.

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

> *Not working:
>
> **Major issues:
> *I figured out how to attach block devices in the VM manager, but even so,
> when I try to open my attached device in the appropriate VM it still gives
> an error (can't find /media/). That said, I can now navigate to flash
> within the appropriate VM once I do away with the error message. This is
> more than I can say for my optical media, which is not recognized, mounted,
> acknowledged or anything else.

Optical drive can be attached only when it contains media in it.

> Nautilus shows a mysterious "11GB volume," presumably one of Qubes
> partitions?,

Yes.

> *Minor issues:
> *No middle-mouse-button scrolling support that I could find in the HMI
> control panel. Bizarrely, the middle mouse button Pastes instead.

Perhaps you can try cmdline tool to set it up: xinput or synclient.

--
Best Regards / Pozdrawiam,
Marek Marczykowski

signature.asc