最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

Brendan Hoar

未読、
2019/01/22 11:03:022019/01/22
To: qubes-devel
https://justi.cz/security/2019/01/22/apt-rce.html

A patch is out to cover this vulnerability, but I'm of the opinion that it may be best to move the qubes-update-proxy worker VMs to a disposable VM model after reading up on this one.

Granted, at first glance it appears that the use of the qubes-update-proxy certainly helps, but using disposable VMs might provide an extra layer of protection.

Also a good reason to ensure all of the URLs used for repositories are HTTPS, of course.

Brendan

Radoslaw Szkodzinski

未読、
2019/01/22 11:38:282019/01/22
To: Brendan Hoar、qubes-devel
(Sorry, sent the first one direct instead of to all.)

No it isn't. libcurl itself has had multiple CVEs related to its
HTTP(S) implementation as well, that's not even mentioning OpenSSL.

Have fun reading:
https://curl.haxx.se/docs/security.html
https://www.openssl.org/news/vulnerabilities.html

Compare to apt, where most of it would still affect it even if you use
HTTPS: (plus this new one)
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-23/product_id-17236/Debian-APT.html

apt + https is bigger attack surface than apt itself...

Most importantly, Qubes has an update proxy which should scrub this
silliness anyway with the tinyproxy.
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/#updates-proxy
This cannot work with https target at all.

--
Radosław Szkodziński

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

未読、
2019/01/22 12:03:202019/01/22
To: Brendan Hoar、qubes-devel

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 08:03:01AM -0800, Brendan Hoar wrote:
> https://justi.cz/security/2019/01/22/apt-rce.html
>
> A patch is out to cover this vulnerability, but I'm of the opinion that it may be best to move the qubes-update-proxy worker VMs to a disposable VM model after reading up on this one.
>
> Granted, at first glance it appears that the use of the qubes-update-proxy certainly helps, but using disposable VMs might provide an extra layer of protection.

Updates proxy unfortunately does not help with this issue, but also is
not affected by it (at least not directly). It is only a http proxy, which
does not interpret content it receive, only pass it down to the VM that
requested it. Specifically, if remote server would send malicious
Location: header, it will be forwarded back to apt. While in theory that
proxy could perform some extra filtering on the response, it isn't used
for that right now. I don't think tinyproxy supports anything like this
(but we could change it to a different http proxy implementation).

When using https, updates proxy does even have a chance to do anything
about it, as it sees only encrypted traffic.

Using DisposableVM as updates proxy does not help here, because
even if someone would perform the attack, updates proxy itself would
remain unaffected (unless it's based on the attacked template, but then
being disposable also doesn't help). The only thing that would change is
if someone would successfully take over updates proxy using different
method, then could attack apt from there - and when updates proxy is in
DisposableVM, then it's easier to return such proxy to a clean state.

> Also a good reason to ensure all of the URLs used for repositories are HTTPS, of course.

Yes, that's right, at least when connecting outside. As mentioned in the
linked post, it's far easier to attack any intermediate network machine
or mirror server, than being limited only to mirror server. On the other
hand, handling HTTPS also bring its own complexity (all the OpenSSL
stuff and more).

Something that could _in theory_ be a good idea, is plain http
connection to updates proxy, then https connection to
download actual updates. This still allows compromised updates proxy to
attack the template, but on the other hand, we could perform more
filtering/caching on the updates proxy level. BTW it's worth checking if
apt-cacher-ng a) is vulnerable itself to the attack b) prevents it
spreading further (i.e. resolve redirects locally).

But keeping more complex updates proxy have also its own downsides.
First, it enlarges its attack surface (you trade some apt/dnf bugs for
updates proxy bugs). But also it's harder to maintain, as you need
to track various repository layout changes for multiple distributions.

Related:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4415 "Egypt and UAE HTTP
Repository Manipulation/Poison"

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-core-agent-linux/pull/150 "Switch to
HTTPS"

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/1957 "Cache updates"
https://github.com/rustybird/qubes-updates-cache

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Chris Laprise

未読、
2019/01/22 12:57:452019/01/22
To: Marek Marczykowski-Górecki、Brendan Hoar、qubes-devel
On 01/22/2019 12:03 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 08:03:01AM -0800, Brendan Hoar wrote:
>> https://justi.cz/security/2019/01/22/apt-rce.html
>>
>> A patch is out to cover this vulnerability, but I'm of the opinion that it may be best to move the qubes-update-proxy worker VMs to a disposable VM model after reading up on this one.
>>
>> Granted, at first glance it appears that the use of the qubes-update-proxy certainly helps, but using disposable VMs might provide an extra layer of protection.
>
> Updates proxy unfortunately does not help with this issue, but also is
> not affected by it (at least not directly). It is only a http proxy, which
> does not interpret content it receive, only pass it down to the VM that
> requested it. Specifically, if remote server would send malicious
> Location: header, it will be forwarded back to apt. While in theory that
> proxy could perform some extra filtering on the response, it isn't used
> for that right now. I don't think tinyproxy supports anything like this
> (but we could change it to a different http proxy implementation).

The proxy appears to be 'affected' in the sense that Debian's temporary
update instructions from their security bulletin do not work in the
Qubes template.

So we are missing a straightforward resolution that Qubes users can follow.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

Brendan Hoar

未読、
2019/01/22 17:17:352019/01/22
To: qubes-devel
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 12:57:45 PM UTC-5, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 01/22/2019 12:03 PM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
> The proxy appears to be 'affected' in the sense that Debian's temporary
> update instructions from their security bulletin do not work in the
> Qubes template.

Reminder to self: anytime I post a security statement to qubes-* mailing lists, I should prepare to be schooled by those who are actually on top of this stuff. :)

> So we are missing a straightforward resolution that Qubes users can follow.

Yeah...assuming this type of issue (bulk or targeted MITM software-update exploits) is in-scope for the Qubes security model, sounds like the project has a bit of a tough one to deal with.

Brendan

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

未読、
2019/01/22 19:06:372019/01/22
To: Brendan Hoar、qubes-devel

unman

未読、
2019/01/22 20:49:172019/01/22
To: qubes-devel
Can you explain this? As far as I can see, the temporary update
instruction *do* work in a template.
What makes you think they don't?

I use apt-cacher-ng with the templates configured with http://HTTPS///
scheme, which allows for caching *and* HTTPS to repos.
I'm checking to see how apt-cacher-ng is affected, but wont be able to
finish until this evening.

Chris Laprise

未読、
2019/01/22 21:44:372019/01/22
To: unman、qubes-devel
On 01/22/2019 08:49 PM, unman wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 12:57:37PM -0500, Chris Laprise wrote:

>>> Updates proxy unfortunately does not help with this issue, but also is
>>> not affected by it (at least not directly). It is only a http proxy, which
>>> does not interpret content it receive, only pass it down to the VM that
>>> requested it. Specifically, if remote server would send malicious
>>> Location: header, it will be forwarded back to apt. While in theory that
>>> proxy could perform some extra filtering on the response, it isn't used
>>> for that right now. I don't think tinyproxy supports anything like this
>>> (but we could change it to a different http proxy implementation).
>>
>> The proxy appears to be 'affected' in the sense that Debian's temporary
>> update instructions from their security bulletin do not work in the Qubes
>> template.
>>
>> So we are missing a straightforward resolution that Qubes users can follow.
>>

> Can you explain this? As far as I can see, the temporary update
> instruction *do* work in a template.
> What makes you think they don't?

With normal update proxy settings (no cache), this happens:

> user@d9:~$ sudo apt -o Acquire::http::AllowRedirect=false update
> Ign:1 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates InRelease
> Hit:2 http://deb.qubes-os.org/r4.0/vm stretch InRelease
> Ign:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch InRelease
> Err:4 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch Release
> 302 Found
> Err:5 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates Release
> 302 Found
> Reading package lists... Done
> E: The repository 'http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch Release' does no longer have a Release file.
> N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
> N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
> E: The repository 'http://security.debian.org stretch/updates Release' does no longer have a Release file.
> N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
> N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Did I miss something?

At this moment, I could try to gpg verify the DSA bulletin, then use the
hash from the bulletin to verify a manually-downloaded apt deb before
installing it.

Or, since I have Whonix installed, maybe look at the docs for enabling
.onion updates.

> I use apt-cacher-ng with the templates configured with http://HTTPS///
> scheme, which allows for caching *and* HTTPS to repos.
> I'm checking to see how apt-cacher-ng is affected, but wont be able to
> finish until this evening.

This sounds like a good setup; I'll await feedback from you and rusty
about your vuln review. However, I'm not sure how many other users will
want to setup a cache. And if it requires installing any packages, then
that leaves me in a catch-22.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

未読、
2019/01/22 21:51:352019/01/22
To: Chris Laprise、unman、qubes-devel

Chris Laprise

未読、
2019/01/22 22:06:062019/01/22
To: Marek Marczykowski-Górecki、unman、qubes-devel
Hmmm. I didn't have security.debian.org enabled in the first place (IIRC
disabled is the default) so at first I dismissed that advice. Then I
tried adding their source line anyway and got the same warnings.

I didn't realize, as Ilpo suggested, that I should comment-out the other
sources temporarily. That did the trick.

> Anyway, a progress on automated fix:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/4752

Patrick Schleizer

未読、
2019/01/23 5:02:322019/01/23
To: qubes...@googlegroups.com、Whonix-devel、Patrick Schleizer
Many users already upgraded APT in a vulnerable way without ever knowing
about this issue.

What about introducing a security on/off switch that a subset of Qubes
developers can trigger?

Before apt-get (or other package manager) does actually anything, a
simple script could fetch a file from Qubes clearnet domain (and/or
onion) and ask "is it currently secure to update"?

In most cases, the server would provide a cryptographically signed file
by a Qubes developer which says "ok". Otherwise in situations such as
now with APT security vulnerability DSA 4371-1 a Qubes developer could
put a cryptographically signed file saying "not safe" there. In such
cases, updates would be blocked until a new file is provided.

Things to keep in mind related to such a file: man-in-the-middle attack
- infinite freeze atttacks; rollback attacks; perhaps more. Can think
about this more if this sounds interesting.

Of course there should be options to:

- disable this mechanism entirely
- manually override by user

These override option is useful for:

- to stay flexible in case of bugs of this mechanism itself and,
- to not give Qubes developers too much power. No advanced adversary
should be able to ask Qubes developers to remotely brick all Qubes
installations (mostly theoretic at this point and not important for now
but still easy to implement and good to have),
- other unforeseeable things.

This idea could be seen as a subset of the emergency project news
mechanism that is currently missing in all distributions. In short:
distributions have no mechanism to communicate with their users
effectively in situations such as this one. More info:

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/project-news

Cheers,
Patrick

unman

未読、
2019/01/23 9:03:102019/01/23
To: qubes-devel
deb.debian.org, which you are using, isnt a repository. It's a
placeholder with SRV records pointing to repositories.
If the SRV doesn't work, then it provides a redirect function, which you
are obviously blocking, (as instructed).
The instructions aren't all that clear, since the problem will occur with
any use of deb.debian.org, not just for security repos.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

未読、
2019/01/23 9:29:572019/01/23
To: Patrick Schleizer、qubes...@googlegroups.com、Whonix-devel、Patrick Schleizer

unman

未読、
2019/01/23 9:43:012019/01/23
To: qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:02:00AM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Many users already upgraded APT in a vulnerable way without ever knowing
> about this issue.

Yes, and many will have installed the update before Qubes is able to
push out a resolution. So, not meaning to put down efforts, it seems to
me that working on a scripted solution is not the best way to go.

I dont know what is the readership of qubes-users, but should
announcements not be sent there for widest coverage? Particularly where
the fix is already available and could be installed by anyone capable of
copying commands. (Please, no adverse comments about our users.)

> What about introducing a security on/off switch that a subset of Qubes
> developers can trigger?
>
> Before apt-get (or other package manager) does actually anything, a
> simple script could fetch a file from Qubes clearnet domain (and/or
> onion) and ask "is it currently secure to update"?
>
> In most cases, the server would provide a cryptographically signed file
> by a Qubes developer which says "ok". Otherwise in situations such as
> now with APT security vulnerability DSA 4371-1 a Qubes developer could
> put a cryptographically signed file saying "not safe" there. In such
> cases, updates would be blocked until a new file is provided.
>
> Things to keep in mind related to such a file: man-in-the-middle attack
> - infinite freeze atttacks; rollback attacks; perhaps more. Can think
> about this more if this sounds interesting.

I think that you have already identified many of the reasons why I
wouldnt favour such a process.
Another major issue is that it relies on users responding to the
inability to update, and once the resolution is posted, updating as
instructed. As opposed to simply doing nothing and then updating as
normal. (Whatever the Qubes scripted solution may be it must rely on
users updating and installing it before using apt again.)

I'm generally not in favour of mechanisms that push to users. I have
seen these implemented in various networks and they sometimes work well.
I'm not convinced that they work any better than passing information by
posting messages on mail or website. Users who dont follow those are
likely also to ignore pushed messages - classic click through without
reading.

> Of course there should be options to:
>
> - disable this mechanism entirely
> - manually override by user
>
> These override option is useful for:
>
> - to stay flexible in case of bugs of this mechanism itself and,
> - to not give Qubes developers too much power. No advanced adversary
> should be able to ask Qubes developers to remotely brick all Qubes
> installations (mostly theoretic at this point and not important for now
> but still easy to implement and good to have),
> - other unforeseeable things.
>
> This idea could be seen as a subset of the emergency project news
> mechanism that is currently missing in all distributions. In short:
> distributions have no mechanism to communicate with their users
> effectively in situations such as this one. More info:
>
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/project-news
>
> Cheers,
> Patrick

Almost every project has such mechanisms, but they rely on user opt in
and response. I've had a quick look at the proposal and I cant see how
it will overcome the obstacles that bedevil existing schemes.

I have seen this sort of mechanism implemented on private networks,
where users HAD to perform certain actions before being able to access
company resources. Sometimes it worked; sometimes not. Only the threat
of the policy handbook would make some users do the right thing, and even
then there was considerable kick back. More effort went in to
circumventing controls than in to compliance - some people are like
that.
(I recognise that you mention an opt-out/override option.)

Simon Gaiser

未読、
2019/01/23 12:16:482019/01/23
To: Patrick Schleizer、qubes...@googlegroups.com、Whonix-devel、Patrick Schleizer

Patrick Schleizer:
> Many users already upgraded APT in a vulnerable way without ever knowing
> about this issue.

That's probably true. OTOH if you count since the public announcement
from Debian it's only about 29 h. So I think there's also a significant
portion of users who didn't installed new packages in that time (While
apt-get update is also affected, AFAIU, unless you find another bug in
APT this does not enable code execution.).

For those affected we at least offer fresh templates. Of course
depending on the usage of those templates recovering might still require
significant work (sanitizing/recreating affected VMs).

And then there is of course always the possibility that somebody
discovered this bug much earlier.

> What about introducing a security on/off switch that a subset of Qubes
> developers can trigger?
>
> Before apt-get (or other package manager) does actually anything, a
> simple script could fetch a file from Qubes clearnet domain (and/or
> onion) and ask "is it currently secure to update"?
>
> In most cases, the server would provide a cryptographically signed file
> by a Qubes developer which says "ok". Otherwise in situations such as
> now with APT security vulnerability DSA 4371-1 a Qubes developer could
> put a cryptographically signed file saying "not safe" there. In such
> cases, updates would be blocked until a new file is provided.
>
> Things to keep in mind related to such a file: man-in-the-middle attack
> - infinite freeze atttacks; rollback attacks; perhaps more. Can think
> about this more if this sounds interesting.
>
> Of course there should be options to:
>
> - disable this mechanism entirely
> - manually override by user
>
> These override option is useful for:
>
> - to stay flexible in case of bugs of this mechanism itself and,
> - to not give Qubes developers too much power. No advanced adversary
> should be able to ask Qubes developers to remotely brick all Qubes
> installations (mostly theoretic at this point and not important for now
> but still easy to implement and good to have),
> - other unforeseeable things.

I think blocking updates automatically is probably more problematic
than useful. But ...

> This idea could be seen as a subset of the emergency project news
> mechanism that is currently missing in all distributions. In short:
> distributions have no mechanism to communicate with their users
> effectively in situations such as this one. More info:
>
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Dev/project-news

I think having something like qubes-announce directly integrated into
Qubes is a very interesting idea. (Of course implementing it safely is
tricky).

Simon

Chris Laprise

未読、
2019/01/23 12:24:272019/01/23
To: unman、qubes...@googlegroups.com、Marek Marczykowski-Górecki、Patrick Schleizer
On 01/23/2019 09:43 AM, unman wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:02:00AM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> Many users already upgraded APT in a vulnerable way without ever knowing
>> about this issue.
>>

> Yes, and many will have installed the update before Qubes is able to
> push out a resolution. So, not meaning to put down efforts, it seems to
> me that working on a scripted solution is not the best way to go.

One more wrinkle to all this:

People installing the debian-9 template fresh (or reinstall): How should
they update securely?

There is the install iso and also the repo package to consider. I
suppose the latter is relatively easy to update, but the iso not so much.

I wouldn't object to a dom0 solution that - at template install time -
tests a watchlist of package versions for that OS. This could be touted
as a form of VM hardening offered by Qubes.

Simon Gaiser

未読、
2019/01/23 12:36:202019/01/23
To: unman、qubes...@googlegroups.com

unman:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 10:02:00AM +0000, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> Many users already upgraded APT in a vulnerable way without ever knowing
>> about this issue.
>>

> Yes, and many will have installed the update before Qubes is able to
> push out a resolution. So, not meaning to put down efforts, it seems to
> me that working on a scripted solution is not the best way to go.

One of the main motivation for the scripted solution was to cover users
who don't read the announcements (Also it's reused for template builds).

> I dont know what is the readership of qubes-users, but should
> announcements not be sent there for widest coverage? Particularly where
> the fix is already available and could be installed by anyone capable of
> copying commands. (Please, no adverse comments about our users.)

What do you propose exactly. Pre-announce the QSB? Notify about the
Debian announcement? Something else?

We should consider some quicker reactions than a full QSB. But then you
also need to consider that creating such announcements in a hurry is
tricky, especially if you try to provide copyable command. I'm sure
Debian has put some thoughts into their message and still it wasn't that
clear to some users.

>> What about introducing a security on/off switch that a subset of Qubes
>> developers can trigger?
>>
>> Before apt-get (or other package manager) does actually anything, a
>> simple script could fetch a file from Qubes clearnet domain (and/or
>> onion) and ask "is it currently secure to update"?
>>
>> In most cases, the server would provide a cryptographically signed file
>> by a Qubes developer which says "ok". Otherwise in situations such as
>> now with APT security vulnerability DSA 4371-1 a Qubes developer could
>> put a cryptographically signed file saying "not safe" there. In such
>> cases, updates would be blocked until a new file is provided.
>>
>> Things to keep in mind related to such a file: man-in-the-middle attack
>> - infinite freeze atttacks; rollback attacks; perhaps more. Can think
>> about this more if this sounds interesting.
>
> I think that you have already identified many of the reasons why I
> wouldnt favour such a process.
> Another major issue is that it relies on users responding to the
> inability to update, and once the resolution is posted, updating as
> instructed. As opposed to simply doing nothing and then updating as
> normal. (Whatever the Qubes scripted solution may be it must rely on
> users updating and installing it before using apt again.)

The note about installing with apt is true. But if "updating as normal"
is through the Qubes Manager they are covered.

> I'm generally not in favour of mechanisms that push to users. I have
> seen these implemented in various networks and they sometimes work well.
> I'm not convinced that they work any better than passing information by
> posting messages on mail or website. Users who dont follow those are
> likely also to ignore pushed messages - classic click through without
> reading.

I think having some way to notify users directly in Qubes (a widget or
something) would reach a lot more users than any MLs.
I think Qubes OS users has much more users who not ignore such
instructions than in a classic cooperate environment.

And if users intentionally ignore our advice, that's fine, I think. It's
their decision.

Simon

Andrew David Wong

未読、
2019/01/23 21:42:022019/01/23
To: Simon Gaiser、Patrick Schleizer、qubes...@googlegroups.com、Whonix-devel、Patrick Schleizer

Chris Laprise

未読、
2019/01/24 15:14:012019/01/24
To: unman、qubes-devel
The new debian-9 template appears to have an extraneous line for
'jesse-backports' in sources.list.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

未読、
2019/01/24 15:33:452019/01/24
To: Chris Laprise、unman、qubes-devel

Ilpo Järvinen

未読、
2019/01/25 22:26:512019/01/25
To: Chris Laprise、qubes-devel
Isn't there a cure given to this problem in it?

"This is known to break some proxies when used against security.debian.org.
If that happens, people can switch their security APT source to use:

deb http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main"

...that is, disable (comment out) other repos in souces.list and update
with this repo once?

--
i.
全員に返信