Java 8 removal: when & how

Peter Palaga

Jun 3, 2020, 10:18:10 AM6/3/20
to Quarkus Development mailing list
Hi,

Guillaume announced with Quarkus 1.4 [1] to drop Java 8 in Quarkus 1.6.

Is there an ETA when this will happen in Quarkus master?

I wonder what exactly dropping Java 8 means? - both source and target
compatibility will be increased to 11?

I am asking because we are dropping Java 8 in Camel Quarkus and I'd like
to know whether it is OK for us to increase both source and target
compatibility to 11.

[1] https://quarkus.io/blog/quarkus-1-4-final-released/#java-8-deprecated

Thanks,

-- Peter

Emmanuel Bernard

Jun 3, 2020, 11:04:55 AM6/3/20
to Peter Palaga, Quarkus Development mailing list
We had some pretty decent feedback advising against rushing dropping of Java 8. So right now, it is pending a few months to see how that evolves. I'd recommend you do not drop Java 8 support in Camel extensions otherwise our CI will always fail on Java 8.

Guillaume Smet

Jun 3, 2020, 11:06:13 AM6/3/20
to ppa...@redhat.com, Quarkus Development mailing list
Yes, the idea was to move both source and target to 11. And 1.6 was our tentative planning.

But, given the last months have been quite hectic, I think we will have to wait for more feedback and support Java 8 for a bit longer.

It's still something being discussed. For the time being, we need everything to work with 1.8.

Peter Palaga

Jun 4, 2020, 3:40:13 AM6/4/20
to Quarkus Development mailing list
Thanks for the info, Guillaume and Emmanuel. You have perhaps announced
the change of the plan somewhere where I missed it, but if you have not,
please at least amend it to
https://quarkus.io/blog/quarkus-1-5-final-released/ where it can be
found by people who have read the 1.4.0 announcement. -- P