Qlab 3 and Quartz Composer

nizer

May 17, 2013, 2:09:51 PM5/17/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Trying to upgrade to V3. My only remaining issue is getting Quartz Composer Custom Renderings to work. In V2 you just linked it and it worked.

Under v3 it is asking me to have Quarts Composer publish and input named "_protocolInput_image" and an output named "_protocolOutput_Image". I tried to do this but I don't see it working.

Here is a test file.

PS: I am buy no means a expert in QC, I just take what works and tweak it.

Thanks for any leads.

Do you have a sample of a working QC file I can see?
rotating face cube copy.qtz

Lucas Krech

May 17, 2013, 3:49:26 PM5/17/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
One thing to keep in mind is that QC in V3 is an image processor only and does not allow rendering destinations like sprites, billboards, cubes, spheres, or meshes. In order to do that type of effect you wuld build it in QC or someother program and pipe it out to QLab via Syphon.

HTH.

-L

<rotating face cube copy.qtz>

Mark Nizer

May 17, 2013, 4:32:51 PM5/17/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
That is the kinda info I need. How do I do that. Just add a siphon patch in QC and it will show in Qlab ?

Mark Nizer/Neisser
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "QLab" group.

Dave "luckydave" Memory

May 17, 2013, 4:34:38 PM5/17/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, May 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Mark Nizer wrote:
That is the kinda info I need. How do I do that. Just add a siphon patch in QC and it will show in Qlab ?

A Syphon Server renderer will show up in a QLab Camera cue.

nizer

May 17, 2013, 10:03:52 PM5/17/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Does that mean I have to have QC running and sending out that info?

Can you give me  a demo file of that set up.

Thanks.

So excited about the upgrade. This is my last hurtle to Qlab greatness.

Lucas Krech

May 17, 2013, 10:08:17 PM5/17/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
You can DL a basic syphon server QTZ on the syphon site. And yes it needs to be running in order to send the data.

-L

*insert witty mobile device advertising here*

nizer

May 17, 2013, 10:47:19 PM5/17/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
OK, I admit it. I am too stupid to figure out this puzzle. It there a sample QC file that shows a image in the viewer that I can then see in Qlab. Can I get some basic steps.

Do I need a surface?

I know I need to use a camera cue.

This is too confusing.

Thanks for any help.

I have a show in 2 days and was hoping to solve this in time. :-(

Lucas Krech

May 17, 2013, 11:09:55 PM5/17/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
The syphon website has a Quartz plugin download.http://syphon.v002.info/ In the DMG file is a sample syphon server. DL that, install the plugin and run the server. That will be sending a simple animation out. Then make your camera cue in QLab to read from that server. It's a little awkward at first but really simple once you get it running.

-L

nizer

May 18, 2013, 4:14:36 PM5/18/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I got it to work but it is soooooo slow that it is impossible to use. :-(

I have all these cool interactive features in my show using QC where graphics respond to audio inputs. I don't see a way of doing this any more.

Can I get my money back?

nizer

May 19, 2013, 1:45:21 AM5/19/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Well made some progress. The only way to get any responsiveness with QC coming in thru Syphon to a Qlab Camera Cue is to make sure you are using Profile Mode in QC's Viewer window. It's the one with the magnifying glass. I sure wish we could be able to bring in QC without having to have them open in the back ground.

nizer

May 19, 2013, 3:52:47 PM5/19/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
After pulling an all nighter, I am thinking of just running QC externally with quickeys. Unfortunelty, QC HAS NO REALLY APPLE SCRIPT IN IT. Even with the camera patch and Syphon running it is still slow and the render looks bad compared to how it looks in QC or Qlab v2.

Perhaps in a update we can restore that feature.

Christopher Ashworth

May 19, 2013, 10:41:16 PM5/19/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com

On May 18, 2013, at 4:14 PM, nizer <ma...@nizer.com> wrote:

> Can I get my money back?

Yes, of course.

The last thing we want is for people to pay for a tool that is not useful to them. It sounds like version 2 is a great fit for the needs of your show, and if it's working well there is no reason to switch.

As QLab 3 matures, and in particular if we are able to improve performance of Syphon input for your system, then perhaps version 3 will become more attractive for some of the other features it offers, but in the meantime we don't want to push you to upgrade if it's not a good fit.

To get a refund you can de-authorize and delete your version 3 licenses from any computers they are installed on and then drop us a line at sup...@figure53.com with your license info and we can perform the refund.

Best,
Chris

Dave "luckydave" Memory

May 24, 2013, 9:44:30 AM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Mark -

I finally got around to testing QLab 3's video effects with audio reactive effects, and it works perfectly for me. I had to use Soundflower to route the audio from QLab to the effect, so I'm sending to Soundflower in QLab, and in Quartz, I'm using an Audio Input patch, and in the Settings, I'm specifying the Soundflower input. With that effect applied on a video cue in QLab, it's audio-reactive to another audio cue in QLab sending to Soundflower. I've attached a very simple audio reactive effect that adjusts the X scale of a video cue as a response to audio. I think this may solve all of your problems.

You could either program two audio cues, one sending to Soundflower, and another sending to your regular audio output, or you could create an aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup, including both the Soundflower device and your regular audio device. Then, in QLab, you could edit that device to send anything from (for instance) channels 1 and 2 to both the built-in output channels, as well as Soundflower, by using the crosspoint matrix.

Let me know if this helps, clears things up, makes things more confusing, or if there's anything else I can help with.

Thanks.

--
Audio Reactive.qtz

Jeremy Lee

May 24, 2013, 10:51:53 AM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
If you have an audio interface that provides loop through functions, you can avoid SoundFlower and the latency and such that it creates. RME and MH do this- likely others do as well. Or simply plug and output of the card back into the input.

Aggregate devices can be really flakey. I'd avoid them if possible...
--
Jeremy Lee
Sound Designer, NYC - USA 829

Lucas Krech

May 24, 2013, 11:05:45 AM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I think an alternate route, that I would want to explore, is a discrete Quartz Patch running that processes audio data into MIDI or OSC commands. These could then be read by QL3 to manipulate values. I'll have my show computer back this weekend and will explore this option some if I have time as I also do a fair bit of audio and camera reactive video.

-L

<Audio Reactive.qtz>

nizer

May 24, 2013, 12:12:39 PM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, I will have a look. I  use the Jeremy's plug output into input to avoid Soundflowers delay.

nizer

May 24, 2013, 12:28:07 PM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
AMAZING!!!!!  WORKS GREAT. Very impressive.

nizer

May 24, 2013, 3:53:55 PM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Works great with video. I tried it with a transparent PNG graphic looping, but no luck. Any ideas.

Also, if that doesn't work is there a way to have a video file that lets the background come thru.

Sam Kusnetz

May 24, 2013, 3:57:18 PM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com

nizer wrote:

Works great with video. I tried it with a transparent PNG graphic
looping, but no luck. Any ideas.

Also, if that doesn't work is there a way to have a video file that
lets the background come thru.

Mark

What do you mean by PNG graphic looping?

For getting the background to show through, try rendering your video in ProRes 4444 with alpha.

Cheerio
Sam

nizer

May 24, 2013, 4:11:53 PM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I see in FCP x how to do that with Prorez 4444 but no setting for with alpha.

How to include alpha. Thanks.

Dave "luckydave" Memory

May 24, 2013, 4:12:35 PM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
I see in FCP x how to do that with Prorez 4444 but no setting for with alpha.

How to include alpha. Thanks.

RGB+ or Millions of Colors+

The plus is the alpha channel.

nizer

May 24, 2013, 4:15:23 PM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
In FCP pro x there is None  of these settings under export for any of these formats.

Dave "luckydave" Memory

May 24, 2013, 4:21:48 PM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
In FCP pro x there is None  of these settings under export for any of these formats.

Hm. Looks like you're right. I guess you'll need to use Motion, or After Effects, or Premiere, or dozens of other applications that will allow you to control your export, and save videos in file formats that allow alpha, with alpha information.

nizer

May 24, 2013, 4:30:04 PM5/24/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Eureka!!!!! So here is what I have discovered. First off...you guys are awesome!! Thanks.

Second, You can't use a PNG static graphic image as a looping video and have the Audio Reactive.qtz work. It doesn't change for some reason. I do it this way for quality and file size.

It worked by making a file in FCPx and exporting the file as PROREZ 4444, if there is a alpha channel in it, it will automatically use it.

Let me know if you figure out a way to use a PNG.

The great thing here is I don't have to worry about opening QC all the time.