[QLab] Multivid

Sean T. Cawelti

Jun 8, 2011, 4:42:29 AM6/8/11
to ql...@lists.figure53.com
Hi,

I'm trying to get qlab to send an OSC code to a software on an iPad to trigger a video to start playing in a show.  Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

The software is free and looks promising if I can get the iPad to be triggered by Qlab.

Below is the software website and also the information about how it can be controlled using show control software.

http://marcotempest.com/screen/Public_MultiVid

MultiVid TCP/UDP API Reference (Advanced)
Here the OSC API for integrating Multivid into your own show-control setups:
TCP port 5055 UDP port 5056
/MultiVid playMovie:<movie name>

As Usual,
Sean T. Cawelti
Artistic Director
Rogue Artists Ensemble
3352 California Ave.
Signal Hill CA 90755
:::office::: 213-596-9468 ext #13
:::cell::: 949.413.4523
"I don't believe people die. They just go uptown to Bloomingdale's. They just take longer to get back."
"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters."
"If you don't have a good sense of humor you're better off dead!"
P Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Philip Barrett

Jun 8, 2011, 9:57:49 AM6/8/11
to Discussion and support for QLab users.
Once again my travels take me to far flung locales with carry-ons and my portable M-Audio 410 now seems to have firmware issues which is the final nail in the coffin for me.

Any recommendations on a rock solid, 4 output interface for use with QLab in audio combat situations?

The Apogee looks pretty nice but I'm probably not looking to spend that much considering I spend most of my time with my Metric Halo.

Thanks,

PB

gtwi...@yahoo.com

Jun 8, 2011, 9:59:18 AM6/8/11
to Discussion and support for QLab users.
Motu ultralite or audio express

Rich Walsh

Jun 8, 2011, 10:00:34 AM6/8/11
On 8 Jun 2011, at 09:42, Sean T. Cawelti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get qlab to send an OSC code to a software on an iPad to trigger a video to start playing in a show. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
>
> The software is free and looks promising if I can get the iPad to be triggered by Qlab.
>
> Below is the software website and also the information about how it can be controlled using show control software.
>
> http://marcotempest.com/screen/Public_MultiVid
>
> MultiVid TCP/UDP API Reference (Advanced)
> Here the OSC API for integrating Multivid into your own show-control setups:
> TCP port 5055 UDP port 5056
> /MultiVid playMovie:<movie name>

I've been meaning to try this for a while (since Steven Sokulski mentioned it on the list last August, in fact), so I've just had a bit of a play. I've not tried to use OSC before and fiddled with OSCulator for a few minutes before giving up (can't actually work out how to generate a message with it!) and switching to Plogue Bidule. With a lot more prodding I think I created something that would send the appropriate OSC message but I can't get it to actually trigger my iPhone. Having said that, the MultiVidController app itself doesn't seem overly solid if you ask it to communicate via OSC. I captured the TCP output and for some reason the event Bidule is sending does not look exactly the same as the one MultiVidController sends... Perhaps someone who's used OSC can help out?

You can always run MultiVidController in the background, and use this Script Cue:

set userClipName to "the_name_of_your_file_as_it_appears_in_ MultiVidController" -- Set the name of the clip you wish to start/stop
set userMode to item 1 of {"Start", "Stop"} -- Set the mode (ie: adjust the item number to choose start or stop)

tell application "MultiVidController" to activate

try
tell application "System Events"
tell application process "MultiVid"
click menu item userClipName of menu (userMode & " Clip") of menu item (userMode & " Clip") of menu "Manage Media" of menu bar item "Manage Media" of menu bar 1
end tell
end tell
end try

tell me to activate

Rich

raymond soly

Jun 8, 2011, 10:56:56 AM6/8/11
to Discussion and support for QLab users.
on the Smaart discussion board I hear a lot of good stuff for the
Roland Octa-capture..........http://www.roland.com/products/en/UA-1010/index.html
$599.00

Ray

*

Jun 8, 2011, 12:22:12 PM6/8/11
to Discussion and support for QLab users.
Presonus Firebox.

6 outputs, 1/3 rack space, buss powered, midi i/o, rock solid after 3+
years use with Qlab. I have (4) of them just for utility work. Of course I
prefer my 2882s but overkill for most of what I do.

$100 to $150 used on Craig's List or Ebay. Make sure you get the breakout
cable for midi / spdif.

I don't even think you need drivers for it in OSX.

*

On Wed, June 8, 2011 8:57 am, Philip Barrett wrote:
> Once again my travels take me to far flung locales with carry-ons and my
> portable M-Audio 410 now seems to have firmware issues which is the final
> nail in the coffin for me.
>
> Any recommendations on a rock solid, 4 output interface for use with QLab
> in audio combat situations?

Dave Mickey

Jun 8, 2011, 12:27:01 PM6/8/11
to ql...@lists.figure53.com
Hey Sean,

Here's the qtz files we used to control the multivid for Origins.

http://www.davemickey.com/OSC/

How to make them work:
1. add a video cue.
2. drop the qtz file into the custion qtz
3. add a short random cue the the video cue.
4. execute the cue
the qtz patch will send the OSC out and not play the video

Dave

Dave Mickey
Integrated Media Design
davem...@mac.com
davemickey.com
MPGinteractiveArts.com

On Jun 8, 2011, at 8:02 AM, qlab-r...@lists.figure53.com wrote:

> 3. Multivid (Sean T. Cawelti)

Freddy Komp

Sep 20, 2013, 2:17:16 AM9/20/13
to ql...@googlegroups.com, Discussion and support for QLab users.
Hi folks,

does anyone know of an equivalent to MultiVid on Android platforms?

Wishlist is:

* silent (black screen) unless triggered
* can be triggered by MIDI or OSC via WiFi network
* can play video (audio optional, but would be cool).

Cheers,

Freddy

Gunnar Seidel

Sep 24, 2017, 6:58:57 AM9/24/17
to QLab
Hi,

I asked Marco Tempest to send me some OSC commands. I consider myself as an user not as an programmer ... ;-) So I now know the following commands.

 Download Software:

TCP port 5055 UDP port 5056

Commands so far:
/MultiVid playMovie:<movie_name.mp4>
 --> By the way you can also play .mp3

/MultiVid pauseMovie:all
/MultiVid resumeMovie:all
/MultiVid stopMovie:all

Works fine. But I'm looking for a possibility to control the volume and to skip. Any idea?

Best regards,

Gunnar

Art director
Brachland-Ensemble

micpool

Sep 24, 2017, 8:57:40 AM9/24/17
to QLab
You would have to ask Marco for a definitive answer, but it is probably a reasonable assumption that everything MultiVid can be programmed to do is included in the OS X MultiVid controller.app

As remote control of volume or moving around within video cues is not supported in that, it may be safe to assume that it's not supported in the OSC API either.

Mic

Gunnar Seidel

Sep 26, 2017, 1:49:56 PM9/26/17
to QLab
Hi Mic,

I wrote him. His answer:

"You have received the complete OSC API. This is all the support I can provide.Thank you for your understanding. Good luck with your endeavor.

Marco"

Steven Sokulski

Sep 27, 2017, 1:05:35 PM9/27/17
to QLab
MultiVid was something Marco developed to support a particular piece of performance art that he created. He saw the potential for other uses and released it to the public, but it definitely has only a limited use case.

However, it sounds like most of your requirements relate to audio. Might be better to look to feed audio to the vicinity of the devices, rather than to use the tiny, underpowered speakers in the iOS devices themselves.

Nic Sandiland

Feb 21, 2018, 6:25:22 PM2/21/18
to QLab
Hi folks
Did anyone get MultiVid working on an iPad? It seems ok on iPods & iPhones but not for my iPad 3rd generation ios9
Thanks

ruby edelman

Sep 14, 2018, 12:45:06 PM9/14/18
to QLab
Hi Nic,
Same question on my side.
did you ever got answer for this?
tnx

בתאריך יום חמישי, 22 בפברואר 2018 בשעה 01:25:22 UTC+2, מאת Nic Sandiland:

Nic Sandiland

Sep 14, 2018, 12:55:09 PM9/14/18
to ql...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ruby,

I tried a 4th generation ipad & it worked fine. Think it doesn’t work on earlier versions of iOS (can’t remember offhand what the 3rd generation will support but it’s not compatible.

Hope that helps

Nic

--
Contact support anytime: sup...@figure53.com
Follow Figure 53 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Figure53

ruby edelman

Sep 14, 2018, 12:59:37 PM9/14/18
to ql...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nic,

Thanks for that fast replay.
On what iOS the iPad 4th works?

Ruby

P.s- do u know Yael Flexer by any chance?

בתאריך יום ו׳, 14 בספט׳ 2018, 19:55, מאת Nic Sandiland ‏<nicsan...@gmail.com>:
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "QLab" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qlab/01F39938-4C3D-4398-B5E9-AD9ABB0492CE%40gmail.com.

Nic Sandiland

Sep 17, 2018, 4:57:51 AM9/17/18
to ql...@googlegroups.com