Join our workshop on "An Introduction to the CUNY Academic Commons"

Rowena Li

Apr 9, 2019, 10:26:48 AM4/9/19
to QC Adjuncts
From the Center for Teaching & Learning:

The Queens College Center for Teaching & Learning presents "An Introduction to the CUNY Academic Commons," led by Laurie Hurson (CUNY Graduate Center).

Date: Wednesday, April 17
Time: 3-4:30 pm
Location: Rosenthal Library, Room 227

This presentation will introduce the CUNY Academic Commons, a WordPress-based teaching and learning platform currently used by faculty in a variety of graduate and undergraduate courses across CUNY. We will cover the various options for hosting courses on CUNY Academic Commons and introduce several models of open teaching on the CUNY Academic Commons. Further, we will demonstrate how the platform allows instructors to host course materials including OER (Open Educational Resources) materials, facilitate discussion, and craft assignments that task students with connecting course content to public discourses beyond the classroom.

We will also discuss how the development of the CUNY Academic Commons is part of an initiative to build open infrastructure at CUNY that supports open digital pedagogy, a philosophy and practice of teaching that aims to connect course activities with wider audiences. Using open teaching methods and platforms like the CUNY Academic Commons, instructors can facilitate shared knowledge production, experiential learning, and develop students' digital literacy.

Laurie Hurson is an Open Educational Technologist at the Graduate Center supporting faculty use of the CUNY Academic Commons and Manifold for teaching across all the CUNY campuses.

Coffee, tea, and a light snack will be served.

Register at: http://bit.ly/cuny-academic-commons

Information: http://ctl.qc.cuny.edu/intro-cuny-academic-commons