Paid Adjunct Orientation Oct 9th, 10th and 11th

Rowena Li

Oct 3, 2018, 11:57:28 AM10/3/18
to QC Adjuncts
Dear adjunct faculty colleagues,

The Queens College chapter of the PSC (your union) is happy to announce that we have scheduled 3 paid Union (health, benefits and contractual rights) Orientations. These have been scheduled in conjunction with the Queens College HR Department.

You will be paid for your time and food will be provided for at each session. Please RSVP to sras...@pscmail.org and specify which session you will attend, so we can know how much food to provide.

All sessions take place in the President's Conference Room #1, 5th Floor, Rosenthal Library

Tuesday, October 9th, 10 to 10:30 AM, Presenters:Ted Kesler, Jane Guskin, Sam Rasiotis

Wednesday, October 10th, 12:30 to 1 PM, Presenters: Sam Rasiotis, Julie George

Thursday, October 11th, 5:30 to 6 PM, Presenters: Sam Rasiotis

In solidarity

Ted Kessler, Ed.D. QC PSC Chapter Chair
Associate Professor
Co-Director, MAT 1-6
Director, Sabbatical Program
Acting Chapter Chair, PSC
Elementary and Early Childhood Department
054 H Powdermaker Hall
Queens College, CUNY

Ray

Oct 3, 2018, 12:24:03 PM10/3/18
to QC Adjuncts
Hi Rowena, I noticed there are 3 topics and separate presenters,
Are these events the same or does each one focus on a specific topic?

Rowena Li

Oct 9, 2018, 9:47:14 PM10/9/18
to QC Adjuncts
Hi Ray,

I think I replied through email. Just in case you did not see it. The three sessions are about the same topic, just offered in different times.

Rowena

Jane Guskin

Oct 12, 2018, 11:02:29 AM10/12/18
to QC Adjuncts
Hi everyone! I am a new adjunct in Urban Studies/Labor Studies, trying to build adjunct power at QC as we fight for $7K per course in the current contract negotiations. We started meeting a couple of weeks ago and now have a core group of five adjuncts, working autonomously but in productive collaboration with Sam Rasiotis, the PSC organizer, and Bianca Johnson, the union's part-time liaison at QC. I spoke about our organizing at the union orientation this past Tuesday (as mentioned earlier on this thread).

I had no idea this group even existed until I tried to see if I could set up a new gmail account for "qcadjuncts," found that email already taken, and did a search that led me to this group. I would love to connect with folks so we can build on what has already been done at QC. Our next meeting is Tuesday 10:30am-12:00pm in Powdermaker 351.

We are focusing right now on the "Press the Presidents" petition campaign that you may have seen in an email from the PSC. Here's the link to the online version of the QC petition: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/president-felix-v-matos-rodriguez-support-a-fair-contract-with-the-psc-including-a-fair-wage-for-adjunct-faculty.

Please sign and forward the link to all your QC contacts. The petition can be signed by students, faculty, staff--anyone in the QC community. If you would like another adjunct to come to your class to present the petition to your students, let us know.

A PDF version of the petition to print double-sided is here: http://www.psc-cuny.org/sites/default/files/QCPresident7KPetition2.pdf. You can also pick up printed copies of the petition in my mailbox (Jane Guskin) in the Urban Studies department.

We would love to have some of you join us in gathering signatures this Tuesday 10/16, 12-5pm at the Action Woman fair on the QC quad. We will be using either printed versions of the petition or iPads to have people sign the online version, or both.

Please get in touch!