Education & the Workforce Committee Hearing, Greenfield, Indiana

Kenneth H. Ryesky, Esq.

Sep 5, 2014, 3:47:48 PM9/5/14
to qc-ad...@googlegroups.com, ptc...@yahoogroups.com, maria....@newfacultymajority.info

Yesterday (4 September 2014), the House Education and the Workforce Committee, Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor and Pensions held a hearing in Greenfield, Indiana, on "The Effects of the President’s Health Care Law on Indiana’s Classrooms and Workplaces"

One of the witnesses was Tom Snyder, the President of  Ivy Tech Community College in Indianapolis.  His comments regarding ObamaCare's effect upon Adjunct faculty are quite interesting.

I do not envy the position in which Mr. Snyder finds himself.

And I shall leave it to the Adjuncts at Ivy Tech to determine whether Mr. Snyder is a good guy or a bad guy in this whole affair.

-- Ken Ryesky

=======================

Kenneth H. Ryesky, Esq.

P.O. Box 926

East Northport, NY 11731

USA

631/266-5854

E-mail:  khr...@sprintmail.com

Kenneth Ryesky

Sep 7, 2014, 2:41:24 AM9/7/14
to ptc...@yahoogroups.com, qc-ad...@googlegroups.com, maria....@newfacultymajority.info

Technically speaking, it IS an unfunded mandate. But so is the employer's portion of the Social Security and Medicare.

The problem is that the ObamaCare law is kaputt, in so many ways. If one seeks to fix it (as distinguished from totally repealing it, which I favor), then the employer's mandate portion should be "fixed" by requiring that healthcare insurance be provided on a pro-rata basis for the "under 30 hours" people -- just like Social Security/Medicare.

In the case of Ivy Tech, Tom Snyder's invocation of the "unfunded mandate" line serves to distract from the real issue -- Ivy Tech's (and just about every other college and university's) failure to adequately accept the obligations of hiring Adjunct faculty.

I said that "I shall leave it to the Adjuncts at Ivy Tech to determine whether Mr. Snyder is a good guy or a bad guy in this whole affair." But if I were making the call, his resort to the "unfunded mandate" contention would weigh -- quite heavily -- towards the "Bad" end of the spectrum.

-- Ken Ryesky