Seeking python developer for a product startup

yoibr

Jul 24, 2013, 11:13:56 AM7/24/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
Hiring Product Engineer,Dev-Ops engineer  for a product startup backed by the same investors as Facebook, Google, Skype, Groupon.

More info visit http://wehire4u.blogspot.in/ or drop me a mail at weyo...@gmail.com

Location:Bangalore

Sushrut Bidwai

Jul 26, 2013, 3:02:01 AM7/26/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
I approved this by mistake, sorry about that.

Best Regards,
Sushrut

Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे

Jul 26, 2013, 4:48:31 AM7/26/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
I wonder how they find candidates when the first line of every (most?) job post on the blog starts with

Only apply if you can put long hours in work,can work in night shifts,can work on weekends and do not care about leaves.

-Mandar

Noufal Ibrahim

Jul 26, 2013, 4:54:46 AM7/26/13
to Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे, pytho...@googlegroups.com
"Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे" <manda...@gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder how they find candidates when the first line of every (most?) job
> post on the blog starts with
>
> *Only apply if you can put long hours in work,can work in night shifts,can
> work on weekends and do not care about leaves. *
[...]

Hard to believe that they actually put that in writing on the site.
--
Cordially,
Noufal

Siddharth Saha

Jul 26, 2013, 4:59:11 AM7/26/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com, Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे
That is definitely lame.

Siddharth Saha
Skype: siddharth.saha

Shekhar Tiwatne

Jul 26, 2013, 5:01:42 AM7/26/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 26 July 2013 02:24 PM, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> "Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे" <manda...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I wonder how they find candidates when the first line of every (most?) job
>> post on the blog starts with
>>
>> *Only apply if you can put long hours in work,can work in night shifts,can
>> work on weekends and do not care about leaves. *
> [...]
>
> Hard to believe that they actually put that in writing on the site.
interesting indeed.

I thought it's only for Infrastructure dev when I started reading the
post however same is the criteria for product engineer.
They have same for HR as well (not bad ;) ).

They allow toy to choose your own work environment (2 Monitors, Mac)
though... if you care.

Shekhar

Dhananjay Nene

Jul 26, 2013, 5:20:02 AM7/26/13
to PythonPune
Though I'm sure we could discuss this for long, I think Mac is not the right criteria to apply. In fact if someone forced me to work on a Mac I would rather step away. One month exposure to a Mac and its horribly difficult to debug internals left me completely disillusioned with it.

(BTW - after spending one month I had to give up the task because of the excessively difficulty in modifying the software stack due to lack of ability to compile from source - it is a baaaad platform imo).

Dhananjay Nene

Jul 26, 2013, 5:50:11 AM7/26/13
to PythonPune, Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:24 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <nou...@gmail.com> wrote:
"Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे" <manda...@gmail.com> writes:

> I wonder how they find candidates when the first line of every (most?) job
> post on the blog starts with
>
> *Only apply if you can put long hours in work,can work in night shifts,can
> work on weekends and do not care about leaves. *
[...]

Hard to believe that they actually put that in writing on the site.

Shekhar Tiwatne

Jul 26, 2013, 6:38:00 AM7/26/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 26 July 2013 02:50 PM, Dhananjay Nene wrote:

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Shekhar Tiwatne <pyth...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Same here.
My comment was more of sarcastic.

One month exposure to a Mac and its horribly difficult to debug internals left me completely disillusioned with it.

(BTW - after spending one month I had to give up the task because of the excessively difficulty in modifying the software stack due to lack of ability to compile from source - it is a baaaad platform imo).
+1

atulDOTkhotATGmailDOTcom

Jul 26, 2013, 6:58:32 AM7/26/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
> (BTW - after spending one month I had to give up the task because of
> the excessively difficulty in modifying the software stack due to lack
> of ability to compile from source - it is a baaaad platform imo).

Forgive my ignorance w.r.t. mac - but isn't it yet another unix?
OS X?

I somehow always thought it would be a command line - and same stuff -
gcc installed - configure / make install thingy?

I never worked on it - so no idea ;-)

--- cheerio atul

Dhananjay Nene

Jul 26, 2013, 7:10:27 AM7/26/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com

On 26 Jul 2013 16:28, "atulDOTkhotATGmailDOTcom" <atul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > (BTW - after spending one month I had to give up the task because of
> > the excessively difficulty in modifying the software stack due to lack
> > of ability to compile from source - it is a baaaad platform imo).
>
> Forgive my ignorance w.r.t. mac - but isn't it yet another unix?
> OS X?

Its a Unix w/o source

> I somehow always thought it would be a command line - and same stuff -
> gcc installed - configure / make install thingy?

Let's say your WiFi card cannot connect to the router. Tough luck getting the source and recompile by adding debug statements. You don't get the source.

Moreover behaviour changes from version to version. So debugging  gets even harder.

Osx is no different from most commercial OS'. But it becomes an unattractive platform for development. Especially when you want to write code that leverages underlying system services. And these services aren't stable enough.

I had wanted to leverage one such service which is not particularly widely used. But the experience to make it work and make it work across versions was harrowing. For exactly the same service the Linux code was readily available.

Sushrut Bidwai

Jul 26, 2013, 8:13:47 AM7/26/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 4:40 PM, Dhananjay Nene <dhananj...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 26 Jul 2013 16:28, "atulDOTkhotATGmailDOTcom" <atul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > (BTW - after spending one month I had to give up the task because of
> > the excessively difficulty in modifying the software stack due to lack
> > of ability to compile from source - it is a baaaad platform imo).
>
> Forgive my ignorance w.r.t. mac - but isn't it yet another unix?
> OS X?

Its a Unix w/o source

> I somehow always thought it would be a command line - and same stuff -
> gcc installed - configure / make install thingy?

Let's say your WiFi card cannot connect to the router. Tough luck getting the source and recompile by adding debug statements. You don't get the source.

Moreover behaviour changes from version to version. So debugging  gets even harder.

Osx is no different from most commercial OS'. But it becomes an unattractive platform for development. Especially when you want to write code that leverages underlying system services. And these services aren't stable enough.

I had wanted to leverage one such service which is not particularly widely used. But the experience to make it work and make it work across versions was harrowing. For exactly the same service the Linux code was readily available.

Most people I know who use Mac for development (non-iOS development) use it by running VMs on top of it. Not sure if that will make development, specially for use case you mentioned, any easier though.

Mandar Vaze / मंदार वझे

Jul 28, 2013, 1:19:04 AM7/28/13
to pytho...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Sushrut Bidwai <bidwai....@gmail.com> wrote:

I approved this by mistake, sorry about that.

It is interesting that a message that was approved by mistake generated so much conversation :)
This may be "most active" discussion for this month - even though not related to Python

-Mandar