Release a new version

Patrick da Silveira Porto

Sep 20, 2017, 2:48:20 PM9/20/17
to PythonForFacebook
Hi

Can you please release a new version of your library including the pull request #388?

Thank you

Martey Dodoo

Oct 17, 2017, 5:59:09 PM10/17/17
to pythonfo...@googlegroups.com
I assume the previous message was directed toward me...

The documentation contains instructions for installing from the Git repository, so if you need new features, it is still possible for you to use the library. If anyone needs help doing this, they should feel free to make a new post on the group.

Releasing a new version of facebook-sdk is a complex process,. If you think that a bug or regression exists in the currently released version, I have no issue releasing a bugfix version, but I don't have the time to create a new version every time a pull request is merged.

This is especially the case because I consult full-time, so any time spent working on this library when I don't have a client who needs a feature implemented is lost money.

There are two ways that anyone on this list can help speed up the frequency of releases and development in general:
  • You could contribute to the project by submitting pull requests for issues already on the repository or making substantial comments and reviews on others' pull requests (replying +1 on a request that I have already identified as having issues is not helpful)
  • You could hire me to release a new version with the features you want or to directly implement a new feature.

Martey Dodoo
Prinicpal Developer, Mobolic

Stavros Korokithakis

Mar 19, 2018, 2:09:22 PM3/19/18
to PythonForFacebook

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 12:59:09 AM UTC+3, Martey Dodoo wrote:
Releasing a new version of facebook-sdk is a complex process,. If you think that a bug or regression exists in the currently released version, I have no issue releasing a bugfix version, but I don't have the time to create a new version every time a pull request is merged.

Can you elaborate on this process? In the libraries I manage, releasing a version is as simple as running `semantic-release publish`, and the tool isn't even that hard to set up. I'm wondering whether there are other steps that need to be taken to release facebook-sdk.

There are two ways that anyone on this list can help speed up the frequency of releases and development in general:
  • You could contribute to the project by submitting pull requests for issues already on the repository or making substantial comments and reviews on others' pull requests (replying +1 on a request that I have already identified as having issues is not helpful)
  • You could hire me to release a new version with the features you want or to directly implement a new feature.

How much does it cost to hire you to make a release for the code that's already in the repository (ie no new functionality or fixes)? Why is "volunteer to be a maintainer for this project" not in the list? I, for one, volunteer the time to cut releases if you're too busy. You can also move the project into https://github.com/jazzband/, so you at least have some help with releasing.

Thanks,
Stavros

Neil Halelamien

Aug 8, 2018, 5:05:45 PM8/8/18
to PythonForFacebook
What specific issues need to be resolved before a new release can be made? It's been two years since the last release...

JC

Mar 11, 2021, 2:07:56 AM3/11/21
to PythonForFacebook
Hello,

Facebook will soon be deprecating all API version < 9. Is there any plan to release the version 4.0.0 of the Facebook Python SDK?

Thank you