Python group June meeting - Matlab to Python

Ben Nuttall

May 18, 2012, 4:38:22 AM5/18/12
to python-n...@googlegroups.com
The other day I heard Daley tell someone "There's nothing you can do in Matlab that you can't do in Python" - and I thought it would be fun to prove him right!

I studied Maths at uni (finished last year) and did plenty of cool stuff in Matlab including dynamical simulation, awesome graphing/plotting and systems analysis. I have plenty of material we could try to reproduce in Python. I've done very little of this sort of thing in Python but I know a few of you have use NumPy, SciPy, etc. It would be great to look at some libraries which would help us achieve this.

One of my lecturers wrote a book called 'Dynamical Systems with Applications using ...' [a version for Matlab, Maple and Mathematica] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamical-Systems-Applications-using-MATLAB%C2%AE/dp/0817643214

Should make a good coding challenge for us!

Ben

Safe Hammad

May 18, 2012, 8:43:50 AM5/18/12
On 18 May 2012, at 09:38, Ben Nuttall <ben.nut...@gmail.com> wrote:

The other day I heard Daley tell someone "There's nothing you can do in Matlab that you can't do in Python" - and I thought it would be fun to prove him right!

I studied Maths at uni (finished last year) and did plenty of cool stuff in Matlab including dynamical simulation, awesome graphing/plotting and systems analysis. I have plenty of material we could try to reproduce in Python. I've done very little of this sort of thing in Python but I know a few of you have use NumPy, SciPy, etc. It would be great to look at some libraries which would help us achieve this.

After having enjoyed Jonathan S's talk on NumPy some months ago I'd welcome an excuse to reinforce my knowledge of that library.

One of my lecturers wrote a book called 'Dynamical Systems with Applications using ...' [a version for Matlab, Maple and Mathematica] http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dynamical-Systems-Applications-using-MATLAB%C2%AE/dp/0817643214

Should make a good coding challenge for us!

I reckon this would be an interesting exercise for next month's meeting.  Count me in!

Safe

Simon Ward

May 18, 2012, 9:26:54 AM5/18/12
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 01:38:22AM -0700, Ben Nuttall wrote:
> I studied Maths at uni (finished last year) and did plenty of cool stuff in
> Matlab including dynamical simulation, awesome graphing/plotting and
> systems analysis. I have plenty of material we could try to reproduce in
> Python. I've done very little of this sort of thing in Python but I know a
> few of you have use NumPy, SciPy, etc. It would be great to look at some
> libraries which would help us achieve this.

“etc” above will almost certainly include Matplotlib.

Simon
simple system that works.—John Gall
signature.asc

Jonathan Street

May 24, 2012, 3:02:20 PM5/24/12
to python-n...@googlegroups.com
Oh this sounds good.  Unfortunately though I won't be able to attend as I'll be fleeing the country before the next meeting.

Numpy, Scipy and matplotlib will likely keep you busy for a couple of hours but other packages you may want to take a brief look at might include scikits.{learn, image, timeseries, etc} ( http://projects.scipy.org/scikits ), Orange ( http://orange.biolab.si/ ) and Pandas ( http://pandas.pydata.org/ )

I hope it is a good session and hopefully any code produced will eventually find its way online.

Cheers
Jonathan