pygame module out of memory

João Pinto

Mar 15, 2012, 6:36:35 PM3/15/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com
The pygame module is unusable, it produces an OOM during set_mode() .
I/python  ( 1680): pygame.error: Out of memory

Mathieu Virbel

Mar 15, 2012, 8:03:04 PM3/15/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com
On 15/03/2012 23:36, João Pinto wrote:
> The pygame module is unusable, it produces an OOM during set_mode() .
> I/python ( 1680): pygame.error: Out of memory

Hi,

Ok.

Seriously, please give us more feedback:
- code you are testing,
- how many memory did you have before starting the app,
- how many during the app is running,
- how many after,
- on which device you are testing,
- android version,
- full backtrace log,
- etc etc...

Sharing so few information will just made your report invalid and people
will forget about it...

Thank you.

Mathieu

João Pinto

Mar 15, 2012, 10:19:44 PM3/15/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
adding more information:

Teste on Android 2.3,a smartphone and a tablet, same result on  both.

Device free memory:
# free -k
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        431504       294572       136932            0         3084
-/+ buffers:             291488       140016
Swap:            0            0            0

Attached the helloworld app used and the logcat .
main.py
logcat.txt

Mathieu Virbel

Mar 16, 2012, 5:08:11 AM3/16/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, no, pygame alone doesn't work. As explained in the documentation:

"""If you want to use it without kivy module (an opengl es 2.0 ui
toolkit), then you might want a lighter java bootstrap, that we don�t
have right now. Help is welcome :)"""

Tom from renpy is interested about this project, but right now, if you
want to use only pygame, then contribute to the project to make it work,
or stick to psg4a :)

Mathieu

On 16/03/2012 03:19, Jo�o Pinto wrote:
> Hi,
> adding more information:
>
> Teste on Android 2.3,a smartphone and a tablet, same result on both.
>
> Device free memory:
> # free -k
> total used free shared buffers
> Mem: 431504 294572 136932 0 3084
> -/+ buffers: 291488 140016
> Swap: 0 0 0
>

> Attached the helloworld app used and the logcat .

João Pinto

Mar 16, 2012, 9:37:49 AM3/16/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Ops, sorry, missed that on the documentation.
I am using psg4a, but I prefer the modular approach that you are using.

I am new to Android NDK apps, I will try to figure from psg4a what is required to bootstrap pygame.

Thanks

--
João Pinto
Google Talk: lamego...@gmail.com