Prebuilt Virtual Box Image with `Android SDK`, `Android NDK` and `Python for Android`

qua-non

Jun 30, 2012, 10:03:58 AM6/30/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com

Prebuilt Virtual Box Image with `Android SDK`, `Android NDK` and `Python for Android`

(1.4GB)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1WO07-OL50_VDNESDRUaDhXSmM/edit

Username: kivy
Password: kivy123
Usage::

1. Download the `python for android on ubuntu 12.04` image.

2. Extract the image file, and launch the `Python for Android - Ubuntu 12.04.vbox`
 file from that folder, it should open with your installation of VirtualBox.

3. Start The Virtual Machine, the machine should auto-login you to a clean desktop
 with a Readme.txt. Open the read-me and go through it if you want to get familiar
 with the setup.

4. Copy your App to the Virtual Machine.

5. Now you can build the apk. Open a Terminal, go to the default distribution
 directory and build your apk by running the following commands.

   cd ~/android/python-for-android/dist/default/
   ./build.py --package your.package.name --name your_app_name --version 1.0 --dir /path/to/your/app debug installd

Screenshots::
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1WO07-OL50_cFF6RE5ybm00ekk/edit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1WO07-OL50_aTJidTFXam5yMEU/edit
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1WO07-OL50_SlJ1ajdWdkpQcms/edit

Julien Bouquillon

Jul 1, 2012, 10:12:05 AM7/1/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com
this works nicely on my MBP, except keyboard, but very good work, thanks a ton !

qua-non

Jul 1, 2012, 5:23:23 PM7/1/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Glad you liked it. Seems like a solution is available for the keyboard issue https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/1871#comment:8

laserman

Aug 8, 2012, 10:21:14 AM8/8/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for making this VirtualBox image.
Will it only work with kivy-UI ?

i tried it with my PY4A / SL4A script and get this error:

 I/python(6096): AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'Android'

qua-non

Aug 9, 2012, 6:56:35 AM8/9/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com
This is just a deployment of the python for android for convenience

The project is located at https://github.com/kivy/python-for-android,
And the documentation at http://python-for-android.rtfd.org

As this clarifies this is different from pgs4a or sl4a.
Will it only work with kivy-UI ?
For now kivy ui is the only UI library that is in the recepies.
That said you can create recepie for your own.

qua-non

Dec 20, 2012, 2:03:17 PM12/20/12
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Updated File available at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1WO07-OL50_bTR0SElrLTZGWEU/edit includes latest sources for kivy, python for android on top of Ubuntu 12.10 size 935 MB.

Redbird90

Mar 28, 2014, 1:26:04 AM3/28/14
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Can you help me on the specifics of step 4, copy app to the virtual machine? Thanks a bunch.

qua-non non

Mar 28, 2014, 3:00:20 AM3/28/14
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Use shared folders option in virtualbox.

Rudolf Reuter

Apr 26, 2015, 3:07:17 AM4/26/15
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Hello qua-non,

I have tried the update virtual machine (Ubuntu 12.10).
Unfortunately Ubuntu 12.10 is no longer supported (no LTS version).

When running './distribute.sh -m "kivy"' I get errors with file "kivy/graphics/svg.c".

Would it please be possible to get an updated virtual machine with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?

Best regards, Rudolf

qua non

Apr 26, 2015, 5:21:34 PM4/26/15
to python-...@googlegroups.com
@Rudolf the updated virtual machine linked to is 14.10 not 12.10 I guess you got the older version.

Rudolf Reuter

Apr 29, 2015, 4:32:18 AM4/29/15
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Hello qua-non,

Thank for your answer.
Unfortunately I did not found the updated version (Ubuntu 14.04).
I search at:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1WO07-OL50_bTR0SElrLTZGWEU/edit
and looked for "Details".
There I have seen:
size: 930 MB
Changed: 20.12.2012, 19:39

Could you please give me the updated download link?

Regards, Rudolf

qua non

Apr 30, 2015, 12:52:38 AM4/30/15
to python-...@googlegroups.com
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B112pXITp0hJU3dJb25hbWJ3RHM&authuser=0

qua non

Apr 30, 2015, 12:53:10 AM4/30/15
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Links on the website should be updated in 15 minutes.

rudi

Apr 30, 2015, 4:54:07 AM4/30/15
to python-...@googlegroups.com
Hello qua non,

Thank you very much for the virtual machine (LUbuntu 14.04) update.

I have installed it and configured for Germany :-).

As far as I understand, you should connect your Android device
per USB to the virtual machine, and enable it for USB debugging.

I hope, I have time to try it at the weekend. I will let you know.

Best regards, Rudolf