August Meeting Announcement

C Nelson

Aug 9, 2012, 9:33:09 PM8/9/12
to py...@googlegroups.com
Since PySGF is now under new management, I've decided to make a few...changes. If you have any suggestions, ideas, commentary or other things to add, please, please, please make them known.

August's meeting will be Tuesday, August 28th at 7:00 PM at IWS, Suite 103.

Firstly, there is an IRC channel up on freenode (#pysgf) that I currently idle in while at work, any and all are welcome to hang out there.

I'd also like to note that while Python is the default language for PySGF, other languages (Ruby, Coffeescript, Node.js, Go, etc.) are perfectly welcome.
Group coding or competitions during PySGF time will be Python because that's PySGF's mandate, to help more people learn more Python. :)

Here's what I'm planning as far as the meeting schedule goes:
First 10-15 minutes: Stand-up  We go around the table and mention (in a few sentences) what we've done since last we met, what you plan on doing between this meeting and next, and any obstacles keeping you from being awesome. I hate talking in front of a group as much as the next person, but this is a great vehicle for sparking discussion, especially after the stand-up. Sometimes people know exactly the module you need to accomplish your task, and sometimes people have hints for the problem you're stuck on. These should be kept short, and more in-depth discussion can happen afterwards. If you haven't done anything interesting since the last meeting, feel free to pass to the next person by gazing mournfully at the next person in line.

Remainder: "Geek Club" — Hang out, discuss things, do projects, competitively code, etc. Some of this may also be talks if someone wants to give one, or present a module they discovered (think PyMotW), or show off one of their projects.

So, that brings me to the specifics of August's meeting:
I'm planning on having two "tracks", Project Euler problems and a competitive coding challenge.

Project Euler:
This track is for beginners and math-heads.
Here, you'll solve Project Euler problems by implementing them in Python.
This was really really popular way back when, and those who participated seemed to enjoy themselves.

Competitive Coding:
This track is for more advanced programmers, and those interested in things that are not math.
Everyone will pair/trio up and work on a challenge announced at PySGF.
Something like "Scrape this site for this information and stick it in a database." or "Generate a list of pairs of people, one person experienced and one not." or "Make a brain for braintank that beats everyone else's." or whatever someone might come up with.

Ideas? Questions? Comments?

C Nelson
<cnels...@gmail.com>

Ben Hayden

Aug 10, 2012, 11:24:36 AM8/10/12
to py...@googlegroups.com
I love it, Charles! Very glad that you are taking over the reins! I'll probably sit in the Project Euler group, as I do enjoy maths. :) I hope to be able to make this meeting - if'n the wife and baby are doing well by then!

Charles Nelson

Aug 24, 2012, 8:31:34 PM8/24/12
to py...@googlegroups.com
This is a reminder that the next PySGF is next Tuesday, August 28th at 7:00 PM at IWS, Suite 103. :)

Lyndsy Simon

Aug 28, 2012, 3:03:00 PM8/28/12
to py...@googlegroups.com
I'm looking forward to it - driving up from Arkansas to attend :)