request to become virtualenv maintainer

Sorin Ionuț Sbârnea

Oct 5, 2017, 8:29:21 AM10/5/17
to pypa-dev
It seems that virtualenv project got neglected for too long and I would like to help cleaning its github presence a little bit.

Having bugs opened in 2011 which were both incomplete and obsolete that were not closed is something common on virtualenv. Also the same applies to PRs which are ignored for very long time.

I don't ask for PYPI release rights, only for possibility to close issues, add/change labels and review rights on github. I will also watch the entire project and try to reply quickly.

I can provide full support for Unix like platforms (Linux and MacOS). I do have a lot of Windows experience but I would prefer to avoid having to start my own VM, being without one for more than an year and I don't want to relapse ;)

Considering that the only other maintainer that I seen active recently (Paul Moore) is more Windows centric, I think that my help would be appreciated.

For those not knowing me, I have 10+ years of Python, maintain few packages (all under pycontribs org) and work for Red Hat OpenStack. I would focus mostly on CI and automation, as that the only safe way to assure/improve product quality, manual testing is ... for those that can afford the time. (feel free to google me)

Thanks
Sorin (ssbarnea on github)

Jason R. Coombs

Oct 5, 2017, 9:07:17 AM10/5/17
to Sorin Ionuț Sbârnea, pypa-dev
+1

Sent from my comm

Sorin Ionuț Sbârnea

Oct 29, 2017, 4:02:27 AM10/29/17
to pypa-dev
Three weeks later and I still see that the virtualenv mailinglist has no messages and that we struggle to get reviews and merges into virtualenv project.

I managed to persuade other contributors to review PRs but without help from someone that has the ability to merge them we cannot really deliver much.

One example would be https://github.com/pypa/virtualenv/pull/1087 which is improving CI testing, was reviewed but not merged because it seems that apparently there is nobody to available to do it.

I project needs attention in order to evolve and at leas two people that can at least review PRs, so I am refreshing my proposal: I am willing to be one of those that would nurture virtualenv so we don't see more complaints from other users.

Anyone else willing to join that effort, even just as a reviewer it would be very useful?

Thanks
Sorin