Making a game soon

Ben

Sep 7, 2012, 10:35:29 PM9/7/12
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I will be making a video game for my final college class within the next month or so, and I intend to incorporate pyjs.  I haven't even cracked open pyjamas, but I want to use this as an excellent excuse to learn it by making a browser-based javascript game.  I have skimmed sections of a book on javascript so its not completely foreign to me, but I'm definitely more familiar with Python.

In any case, the question I'm teetering on now is whether or not to use a javascript-based engine like Coco2d.  I want to make sure I can build something quickly, in the span of a few weeks.  If its a simple action game (jumping, gravity, left and right) should I try to write it from scratch, or start with a free 2d engine and write the rest in pysj?

Also, I'm open to suggestions for a game type that would be ideal to create in this time frame.

C Anthony Risinger

Sep 10, 2012, 2:20:38 AM9/10/12
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM, Ben <compani...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I will be making a video game for my final college class within the next
> month or so, and I intend to incorporate pyjs. I haven't even cracked open
> pyjamas, but I want to use this as an excellent excuse to learn it by making
> a browser-based javascript game. I have skimmed sections of a book on
> javascript so its not completely foreign to me, but I'm definitely more
> familiar with Python.
>
> In any case, the question I'm teetering on now is whether or not to use a
> javascript-based engine like Coco2d. I want to make sure I can build
> something quickly, in the span of a few weeks. If its a simple action game
> (jumping, gravity, left and right) should I try to write it from scratch, or
> start with a free 2d engine and write the rest in pysj?

i don't think this would be too difficult to implement -- i take it
you'd be using Canvas()? i don't have a tremendous amount of
experience with Canvas myself (though this is likely to change rather
soon), but i recently spent ~20min attempting to update the code for
the Asteroids game:

http://pyjs.org/examples/Space.html

... and while the code/structure is not stellar it does serve as a
successful example of how such a game can be constructed.

pyjs will do a pretty good job of abstracting the "JS-y-ness" of it
all, but at the end of the day, you *are* running JS, so some
knowledge there definitely helps. we try to provide enough details
for effective debugging, but it's nowhere near perfect, and there are
times you may find it lacking. there are solid/fast ways to develop
using *real* python bindings [runners], but sadly, none currently
support Canvas :-(

at any rate, it sounds like an interesting project; should you decide
to pursue we'll be lurking around if you get stuck.

--

C Anthony

Charles Law

Oct 10, 2012, 1:35:53 AM10/10/12
to pyjs-...@googlegroups.com
If you're still looking at the game, I cleaned it up quite a bit.  I was doing an experiment in MVC design, so the game engine is a lot easier to read and a lot more OO.  Each object is now abstracted, and the canvas/pyjs code is separated from everything else.

I forked the repo on github and modified the code in my personal copy.  I have a PR here for anyone that wants to check it out:

--

C Anthony