[pygame] Pygame site

Paul Vincent Craven

Aug 9, 2015, 11:44:15 AM8/9/15
to pygame...@seul.org
Would anyone like to work with me on an updated pygame site? I figure the project would be more enjoyable than doing it solo. If we could get some decent content, and then maybe hire Kenney to do some artwork, I think we could come up with an good site.

I'm working off pygame.info. It runs off wordpress. No programming is necessary.

E-mail me if you are interested.

Paul Vincent Craven

gilga gilga

Aug 9, 2015, 3:01:21 PM8/9/15
to pygame...@seul.org
Cool design and website name!
My main problems with the current website are:
- No forum
- Tutorials are a bit outdated.. (and some not working anymore). Some blogs are way more informative for beginners than the website, like http://programarcadegames.com/ or http://inventwithpython.com/pygame/chapters/
- and of course, registering is not automatic...

I've read this thread on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/pygame/comments/3egfat/did_a_remake_of_pygameorg_ever_get_made/
Apparently, it's not the first time people are trying to revamp the website...

How about a wiki-style website ? (with a forum of course!). I don't have enough time to contribute to a full website project, but I'm sure lot of people could easily cooperate on little sections of a wiki-style website (putting correct tutorials, tips etc...)

Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 10:44:09 -0500
Subject: [pygame] Pygame site
From: pa...@cravenfamily.com
To: pygame...@seul.org

Tom Rothamel

Aug 9, 2015, 8:50:30 PM8/9/15
to pygame...@seul.org
On Sun, Aug 9, 2015 at 3:01 PM gilga gilga <gi...@hotmail.fr> wrote:
How about a wiki-style website ? (with a forum of course!). I don't have enough time to contribute to a full website project, but I'm sure lot of people could easily cooperate on little sections of a wiki-style website (putting correct tutorials, tips etc...)

Having used a wiki with Ren'Py and abandoned it, it's usually a bad idea. If you can't find people to contribute now, you're unlikely to find people to contribute to the wiki. At the same time, wikis wind up having a large ongoing cost when it comes to account approval, spam protection, etc.

Al Sweigart

Aug 12, 2015, 6:00:13 PM8/12/15
to pygame...@seul.org
I've been thinking about doing a project like this for a while too. What I'd like to see on it is something similar to scratch.mit.edu:

1) Up to date documentation, downloads, and news posts. (Basic web content easily handled by Wordpress.)
2) A gallery of Pygame games that people have made and can upload on (and comment on), with links to git/hg repos. Something to help facilitate code reviews.
3) Forums for discussion on Pygame.

The second part would require some customization (and spam control).

Can someone say what's up with the current pygame.org website? Ideally, just fixing up the old site would be great, rather than a fork.

-Al

Paul Vincent Craven

Aug 13, 2015, 3:25:56 PM8/13/15
to pygame...@seul.org
Al, I agree with your three points. Probably in that order as well. I think that Wordpress has plug-ins that will handle #2 ok, but like you said we'd need editors willing to sift through the spam.

For #3 I kind of think that reddit might work ok instead.

I hate to see pygame.org forked as well, but not much has happened with it lately.

Paul Vincent Craven

Sean Felipe Wolfe

Feb 26, 2016, 7:53:28 PM2/26/16
to pygame-users
Hey I've been poking around with Pygame lately in a classroom setting. Unfortunately the site is really starting to show its age. I actually prefer the original site + colors as I found it charming and lo-fi.

Has there been much activity on the pygame.info site? I was looking for some updated download info perhaps, especially for Mac.

Pygame really is a great framework for teaching basic programming in Python.
--
A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
- Abraham Maslow

Paul Vincent Craven

Feb 28, 2016, 4:41:27 PM2/28/16
to pygame...@seul.org
I haven't done much with pygame.info. There didn't seem like a lot of people that wanted to contribute to it, and I didn't want it to be a one-person deal. I already have programarcadegames.com for that stuff.

I've been working hard at a pygame-like library that would be good for people wanting to teach. There are a few things with pygame I don't like. Some of the function names. Some of the "here you use an object, but here you use a function" stuff going on. So pygame.info probably won't go far, and I'll work on the other library instead:

Paul Vincent Craven

Daniel Foerster

Feb 28, 2016, 4:48:53 PM2/28/16
to pygame...@seul.org

I wasn't interested in working with WordPress.

Jake b

Feb 28, 2016, 5:09:15 PM2/28/16
to pygame...@seul.org
It's probably worth posting to https://www.reddit.com/r/pygame , they've had threads about updating the website.
--
Jake

DiliupG

Feb 29, 2016, 12:34:55 PM2/29/16
to pygame...@seul.org
What happened to the documentation in the old site? It was not that bad though some detailed explanations could have been added. Is this the new site or another Pygame site?
--
Diliup Gabadamudalige

http://www.diliupg.com
http://soft.diliupg.com/

This e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or have received it in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. Any unauthorized reading, reproducing, printing or further dissemination of this e-mail or its contents is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.

Martti Kühne

Feb 29, 2016, 2:07:29 PM2/29/16
to pygame...@seul.org
On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 6:34 PM, DiliupG <dil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What happened to the documentation in the old site? It was not that bad
> though some detailed explanations could have been added. Is this the new
> site or another Pygame site?

Generally I strongly recommend using local copies of documentation you
use more often than not. I think pygame's source tree includes a copy
of the latest documentation which only needs building. Then again,
it's linked in the first paragraph under "tutorials"...

cheers!
mar77i

Ian Mallett

Feb 29, 2016, 3:53:02 PM2/29/16
to pygame...@seul.org

I think I have 90% of the functional documentation memorized. +1 for local copies.

Scott McGrath

Feb 29, 2016, 4:28:56 PM2/29/16
to pygame...@seul.org
unsubscribe pygame-users

Al Sweigart

Feb 29, 2016, 7:47:59 PM2/29/16
to pygame...@seul.org
I very much prefer the old pygame.org website design. The new design is confusing, hard to navigate, and incomplete. Going back to the old design, even as old as it is, would be far superior.

I'm interested in helping out with the pygame.info site. Is there a mailing list or git repo for people working on it?

-Al

Paul Vincent Craven

Feb 29, 2016, 9:04:46 PM2/29/16
to pygame...@seul.org
My students can no longer find the API docs, which is sad.

There needs to be a read-the-docs or hosted pypi site with the pygame docs. I would love to see Pygame be install-able with pip, auto-build with appveyor and travis. Also have auto-creating of docs. (I find read-the-docs difficult because you can't build the docs easily if you reference external binary libraries.)

Paul Vincent Craven

DiliupG

Feb 29, 2016, 10:47:03 PM2/29/16
to pygame...@seul.org
It would be nice to keep the old site and improve on it so that future generations will get a feeling of the history/heritage and the time span in the development/progress of Pygame.

Martti Kühne

Mar 1, 2016, 3:23:32 AM3/1/16
to pygame...@seul.org
On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 3:04 AM, Paul Vincent Craven
<pa...@cravenfamily.com> wrote:
> My students can no longer find the API docs, which is sad.
>
> There needs to be a read-the-docs or hosted pypi site with the pygame docs.
> I would love to see Pygame be install-able with pip, auto-build with
> appveyor and travis. Also have auto-creating of docs. (I find read-the-docs
> difficult because you can't build the docs easily if you reference external
> binary libraries.)
>
> Paul Vincent Craven

it's still there [0].

cheers!