Time step and nb iterations for the simulations in the paper "Towards Green Aviation with Python at Petascale"

Antonio Garcia-Uceda

Jan 26, 2017, 11:30:29 AM1/26/17
to PyFR Mailing List
Dear all,

I'd like to know whether it'd be possible to obtain the following info about the physics simulations in the paper "Towards Green Aviation with Python at Petascale" worth of the Gordom Bell Prize:
  • approx. physical time step
  • total nb iterations
  • nb chord lenghts simulated.
Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Antonio

Freddie Witherden

Jan 26, 2017, 2:16:22 PM1/26/17
to pyfrmai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Antonio,

On 26/01/17 08:30, Antonio Garcia-Uceda wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to know whether it'd be possible to obtain the following info
> about the physics simulations in the paper "Towards Green Aviation with
> Python at Petascale" worth of the Gordom Bell Prize:
>
> * approx. physical time step
> * total nb iterations
> * nb chord lenghts simulated.

All of this information, as you might expect, is available in the paper
(or can be trivially computed from quantities given in the paper).

Regards, Freddie.

signature.asc

Antonio Garcia-Uceda

Jan 27, 2017, 9:22:31 AM1/27/17
to PyFR Mailing List
Hi Freddie,

Thanks for your reply.

However I don't think the info I request is available in the paper. In fact, there is a previous post with name "configuration files of your simulation of the test case in the paper: Towards Green Aviation with Python at Petascale"  in which Lionel asks for the same info. He gives some estimations of time step of 2*e-09 and nb iterations of 1.600.000, based on the .ini file provided. However I'd be very thankful if you could confirm about these info, or on the contrary provide me with the correct values.

Thanks once more.

Best regards,
Antonio

arvind iyer

Jan 27, 2017, 12:21:37 PM1/27/17
to PyFR Mailing List
Hi,
The simulation
* used a fixed time step of dt = 0.000150 non-dimensional time units
* spanned 9 non-dimensional time units ~2.7 flows over chord
* used RK45 time stepping (can be used to calculate the total number of iterations)

================================
Dr. Iyer Arvind Sundaram

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.

Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man

- George Bernard Shaw.

Antonio Garcia-Uceda

Feb 6, 2017, 10:39:51 AM2/6/17
to PyFR Mailing List