NACA 0021 Airfoil in Deep Stall - Diverging during start-up phase

Michael Laufer

Mar 6, 2020, 8:00:37 AM3/6/20
to PyFR Mailing List
Hi PyFR community,

I am trying to recreate the computations from Park (2017) and Witherden (2020) on a NACA 0021 airfoil in deep stall.
I run into an issue almost immediately during the low-order (P1) start up phase without anti-aliasing, where I get a divergence error ("RuntimeError: Minimum sized time step rejected")
I have also tried running with a lower Re=27K and only after afterwards changing to the nominal Re=270K like explained in Park, but it still diverges once the Reynolds number is increased.
In addition, I have tried both Riemann-solver types (roem and rusanov) that were used in both papers, but no difference was seen.
Lastly, I am seeing this phenomenon with both the P3 and P4 meshes provided in Park.

Can you share any other tips to solve this? Am I missing something else here?
I am attaching the config file used.

Much appreciated,
Michael Laufer
naca0021.ini

Stian Hjorteland

Mar 6, 2020, 8:58:59 AM3/6/20
to PyFR Mailing List
I am also trying to solve an airfoil at deep stall (90 degrees), and are having some problems doing so. If you figure out the problem, please share!

Freddie Witherden

Mar 6, 2020, 9:27:33 AM3/6/20
to Michael Laufer, pyfrmai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

On 06/03/2020 07:00, Michael Laufer wrote:
> I am trying to recreate the computations from Park
> <https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.J055304> (2017) and Witherden
> <https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.J058434> (2020) on a NACA 0021
> airfoil in deep stall.
> I run into an issue almost immediately during the low-order (P1) start
> up phase without anti-aliasing, where I get a divergence error
> ("RuntimeError: Minimum sized time step rejected")
> I have also tried running with a lower Re=27K and only after afterwards
> changing to the nominal Re=270K like explained in Park, but it still
> diverges once the Reynolds number is increased.
> In addition, I have tried both Riemann-solver types (roem and rusanov)
> that were used in both papers, but no difference was seen.
> Lastly, I am seeing this phenomenon with both the P3 and P4 meshes
> provided in Park.

My start-up procedure was to run at p = 1 and Re = 27k with no
anti-aliasing until t = 100. Then, restart with the 'main' .ini file
(final p, correct Re, anti-aliasing/filtering as required).

Regards, Freddie.

signature.asc

Michael Laufer

Mar 6, 2020, 9:57:15 AM3/6/20
to PyFR Mailing List
Freddie,
Thank you,

I see my error now. After running p = 1 and  Re = 27k, I restarted with p = 1 and Re = 270k, instead of p = 4.
I will give it another shot with the 'main' .ini

Michael Laufer