Is PyFR suitable for supersonic cases?

Ray

Dec 7, 2016, 7:21:25 AM12/7/16
to PyFR Mailing List
Dear all,

I've tried a few of supersonic cases and failed each time. And there's no supersonic cases in published posts. I'm wondering if PyFR is suitable for supersonic cases
in normal working condition?

Best regards,
Ray

Vincent, Peter E

Dec 7, 2016, 7:43:29 AM12/7/16
to PyFR Mailing List
Hi Ray,

How did it fail? What Mach numbers were you trying?

We have run cases with relatively low Mach numbers (<2) with PyFR using artificial viscosity (see the User Guide):
  • shock-capturing — shock capturing scheme:

    none | artificial-viscosity

    Cheers

    Peter

    Dr Peter Vincent MSci ARCS DIC PhD
    Reader in Aeronautics and EPSRC Fellow
    Department of Aeronautics
    Imperial College London
    South Kensington
    London
    SW7 2AZ
    UK

    web: www.imperial.ac.uk/aeronautics/research/vincentlab
    twitter: @Vincent_Lab

Ray

Dec 8, 2016, 5:31:13 AM12/8/16
to PyFR Mailing List

Hi Peter,

I've tried this case, Mach 3 Wind Tunnel With a Step. It's in the book, AN ANALYSIS OF STABILITY OF THE FLUX RECONSTRUCTION FORMULATION WITH APPLICATIONS TO SHOCK CAPTURING. I got RuntimeError: NaNs detected at t = 0.05... Is there any problem in my configure file?

Thanks!
Ray
step_str.pyfrm
step_str.ini

Park, Jin Seok

Dec 8, 2016, 8:43:21 AM12/8/16
to Ray, PyFR Mailing List

Hi Ray,

I think Forward facing step problem with M=3 is one of the tough benchmark problems of shock-capturing methods.

It may yield negative value issues around the expansion corner and you may need some special cures (ex. refining mesh around the corner).

Furthermore, you didn't turn on the artificial viscosity option in solver setion as mentioned the previous Peter's mail.

The current shock capturing method (artificial viscoisty) of PyFR runs quite well for the flow with weak shock or oblique shock.

Please find the attached sample mesh and ini files. I think you can run similar supersonic cases.

Regards,

Jin Seok

Dr. Jin Seok Park PhD

Dec 19, 2016, 6:35:43 AM12/19/16