mesh with prism layer for 3D external flow

Junting Chen

Apr 28, 2020, 8:16:34 PM4/28/20
to PyFR Mailing List
Hello, does anyone know how to create a mesh with prism layers that can be translated to pyfr mesh? I need to simulate flow past buildings. If only the ground prism layer (not on buildings) can be a great help.

I don't think Gmsh is capable to create 3D prism layer at the moment (if someone knows how, please shed some light).

So I tried two other meshers - CFMesh+ and StarCCM+ then output cgns. But when importing cgns to pyfrm, i saw this error:

STAR-CCM - CGNS
ccm.png
CFMesh - CGNS
cfmesh.png
Seems the latter cgns mesh has some quality issue, but when i run checkMesh only found some high skewnesses and non-orthogonalities.

Thanks for reading!

Junting

Brian Vermeire

Apr 30, 2020, 6:51:39 AM4/30/20
to PyFR Mailing List
Hi Junting,

You should be able to make a prism layer in gmsh by creating a triangular surface mesh on your object, and then using transfinite line/volume to stretch this outwards into a volume of prisms coming off of the surface. This is a bit difficult to explain here, but you can see an example prism/tet cylinder mesh in the supplementary material of the below paper that uses this approach:

Also, regarding your error importing the mesh I think it is mostly likely one of two things:

1) You are missing boundary condition information of the surface faces of your domain
2) You mesh is broken and some internal faces are not paired to each other

Hopefully that helps,

Junting Chen

May 1, 2020, 10:59:59 PM5/1/20
to PyFR Mailing List
Hello Brian, I don't think the method you use to create prism layers on the infinite length cylinder works if the object has an end.

I am not very familiar with CGNS and its library. I will look into that. All I have been doing so far was outputing the mesh to cgns format (hdf5) directly from the mesher. I did define boundary conditions in the mesher though, and the cgns format can be loaded with ParaView 5.7.

Junting Chen