CUDA-aware MPIs

Robert Sawko

Feb 28, 2017, 5:41:22 PM2/28/17
to pyfrmai...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have a quick exploratory question. At the moment our clusters have mvapich2
installed but it appears to me that none of them is an MPI-aware version. I was
just curious if anyone has already looked into potential performance benefits
when using CUDA-aware MPIs. I realize it's a new feature in your code and I am
also happy to act as a beachhead user.

Please let me know.

Best wishes,
Robert
--
Dr Robert Sawko
Research Staff Member, IBM

Freddie Witherden

Mar 2, 2017, 5:54:17 PM3/2/17
to pyfrmai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

To the best of my knowledge the most work on this area has been done by
Filippo Spiga at Cambridge. If I recall (his findings were the subject
of a GTC talk back in 2015 and should be available online) he found that
using CUDA aware MPI did show an improvement in terms of the strong
scalability of PyFR with performance improving by 10% or so in the
limit. He also considered the impact of GPU direct over RDMA.

Regards, Freddie.