Convert all .pyfrs at once

Douglas Fontes

Mar 7, 2019, 4:11:35 PM3/7/19
to PyFR Mailing List
Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to convert all .pyfrs files to .vtu files in just a command so that they can be read using Paraview. Also, how to see the converted files in a temporal manner in Paraview? These would be very helpful to obtain animation of my simulations.

Thank you in advance,

Douglas Fontes

Freddie Witherden

Mar 9, 2019, 11:27:09 AM3/9/19
to pyfrmai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Douglas,
There is no built in support for this. Instead, we recommend the use of
a tool such as GNU parallel for performing bulk conversions of .pyfrs
files to .vtu files.

Once converted you should then be able to open up all of the generated
.vtu files in ParaView which will proceed to treat them as a time
series. (The only thing to watch out for here is file naming.)

Regards, Freddie.

Ekin Ozturk

Mar 20, 2019, 9:48:10 AM3/20/19
to PyFR Mailing List
Hi Douglas,

I just started using this software and I ran into the same issue you did. To that end, I've created a simple python script that takes a collection of .pyfrs files in a directory and writes them out to a directory along with a .pvd file.

The .pvd file allows informing ParaView of the temporal relationship between each snapshot of the simulation.

I've attached this script and I hope that it proves useful.

Regards,
Ekin
pyfrs_to_vtu.py