Strong scaling on Summit

Robert Sawko

Mar 9, 2020, 10:10:02 AM3/9/20
to pyfrmai...@googlegroups.com, Eloisa Bentivegna
Dear PyFR developers,

My colleague and I would like to setup two separate projects with PyFR:

1 external flow over a detailed car geometry,
2 internal incompressible flow through pipe bends with strong buoyancy.

I have asked about the latter before, although never managed to run appropriate
tests since then. We now have some preliminary tests on our medium size
internal P9+6xV100 cluster and we see perfect scaling. Currently, we are
evaluating whether our applications could benefit from Summit.

My question to you is whether any Summit results have been published or
presented in some format already? I would assume you have run benchmarks there.
We want to avoid work repetition if possible and are interested if there are
any lessons to be learnt for such installations.

Please let us know.

Best wishes,
Robert
--
Dr Robert Sawko
Research Staff Member, IBM

Freddie Witherden

Mar 11, 2020, 10:49:47 AM3/11/20
to pyfrmai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

On 09/03/2020 09:09, Robert Sawko wrote:
> My colleague and I would like to setup two separate projects with PyFR:
>
> 1 external flow over a detailed car geometry,
> 2 internal incompressible flow through pipe bends with strong buoyancy.
>
> I have asked about the latter before, although never managed to run appropriate
> tests since then. We now have some preliminary tests on our medium size
> internal P9+6xV100 cluster and we see perfect scaling. Currently, we are
> evaluating whether our applications could benefit from Summit.
>
> My question to you is whether any Summit results have been published or
> presented in some format already? I would assume you have run benchmarks there.
> We want to avoid work repetition if possible and are interested if there are
> any lessons to be learnt for such installations.

Please find attached a slide deck that we put together some months ago
with an initial scaling study. Note that since then it is my
understanding that the software stack on Summit has improved somewhat,
and we have also made improvements on the PyFR side.

Regards, Freddie.
pyfr-scaling-performance.pdf
signature.asc

Robert Sawko

Mar 12, 2020, 5:25:35 AM3/12/20
to Freddie Witherden, pyfrmai...@googlegroups.com
Freddie,

Thanks for this. This is precisely what I was looking for. I've been also
testing CUDA Aware MPI but on simpler benchmarks, but internally rather than on
Summit.