[Announcement] Release 1.8.0

Tyler Hobbs

Feb 12, 2013, 6:10:31 PM2/12/13
to pycassa...@googlegroups.com, pycass...@googlegroups.com
I've just released version 1.8.0 of pycassa, which can be downloaded here: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pycassa

The main thing to note for those of you looking to upgrade is that support has been dropped for Python 2.4 and 2.5, so only 2.6 and 2.7 are supported now.

There's also a new mocking layer that was contributed by the fine folks at Eventbrite: http://pycassa.github.com/pycassa/api/pycassa/contrib/stubs.html

You can see the full changelog here: http://pycassa.github.com/pycassa/changelog.html#changes-in-version-1-8-0

If you have any problems, please feel free to open a ticket on github: https://github.com/pycassa/pycassa/issues

Thanks!

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax

James Andrews

Feb 25, 2013, 7:03:50 AM2/25/13
to pycassa...@googlegroups.com, pycass...@googlegroups.com
One of our products uses pycassa.  The product is built with zc.buildout v1.  zc.buildout uses another package (i think easy_install) to get pycassa.

The page https://pypi.python.org/simple/pycassa/ is somehow automatically found by easy_install and rather than just downloading the tarball listed on that page it goes for the "download url", which now does not work.  The download url for the latest version is http://github.com/downloads/pycassa/pycassa/pycassa-1.8.0-1.tar.gz which does not work, it gives a 404

Sorry to use the email list to report this but I could not find a place to report this directly to

Thanks
--
Jamie

Tyler Hobbs

Feb 25, 2013, 12:46:00 PM2/25/13
to pycassa...@googlegroups.com, pycass...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting this.  It should be fixed now; let me know if you still have any problems.

In the future, you can report bugs here: https://github.com/pycassa/pycassa/issues

Tyler Hobbs
DataStax

Hanno Schlichting

Feb 25, 2013, 12:49:08 PM2/25/13
to pycassa...@googlegroups.com, pycass...@googlegroups.com
The url still gives me a 404
(https://github.com/downloads/pycassa/pycassa/pycassa-1.8.0-1.tar.gz).

Considering that github is discontinuing its download service and has
stopped accepting new files, this is kind of expected.

Hanno

Tyler Hobbs

Feb 25, 2013, 1:47:27 PM2/25/13
to pycassa...@googlegroups.com, pycass...@googlegroups.com
I had to push a new package (1.8.0-3) to change the download url, but it's correct here now: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pycassa. I pointed it at the tag tarball instead of the downloads section.

Hanno Schlichting

Feb 25, 2013, 2:02:37 PM2/25/13
to pycassa...@googlegroups.com
Why are we using download_url at all? Since the tarball is already
hosted on pypi and its mirrors?

Hanno

Tyler Hobbs

Feb 25, 2013, 3:20:06 PM2/25/13
to pycassa...@googlegroups.com, pycass...@googlegroups.com
I figured it could be useful to people to point to the original source, but I have to admit that I don't really know what tools use it and what they fall back to if it's not there.  Would easy_install just use the pypi tarball if that's not set?

Hanno Schlichting

Feb 26, 2013, 6:55:19 AM2/26/13
to pycassa...@googlegroups.com
Both easy_install and pip prefer to follow the download_url if it is
set (last I checked).

But the general consensus is to avoid hosting on external services, as
these just add an extra source of risk and unreliability to the
system. github, sourceforge or Google code all suffer from downtimes -
far more often than you'd expect. pypi has a couple of geographically
distributed mirrors by now and pip/easy_install/buildout can use
those.

So I'd suggest we remove the download_url for the next release.

Hanno

Tyler Hobbs

Feb 26, 2013, 11:35:35 AM2/26/13

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Hanno Schlichting <ha...@hannosch.eu> wrote:
Both easy_install and pip prefer to follow the download_url if it is
set (last I checked).

But the general consensus is to avoid hosting on external services, as
these just add an extra source of risk and unreliability to the
system. github, sourceforge or Google code all suffer from downtimes -
far more often than you'd expect. pypi has a couple of geographically
distributed mirrors by now and pip/easy_install/buildout can use
those.

So I'd suggest we remove the download_url for the next release.

Okay, I've removed it in the master branch.  Thanks for the advice!

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax