Finished my first game...

Nigel Scott

Oct 13, 2013, 4:40:18 PM10/13/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
It's a remake of an old Gameboy game called Cattrap.

100 levels - starts easy but gets very difficult!

Alan Hazelden

Oct 13, 2013, 5:58:57 PM10/13/13
to Nigel Scott, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
Cool, I've heard good things about Cattrap!

One thing: I find it awkward the way that pushing a boulder doesn't move you along with it. I'm sure that is important to some of the puzzles, but could you maybe move the player along with the boulder if there's nothing on top of either? I think that would make it feel a lot better to me while not changing any of the puzzle solutions.

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 13, 2013, 6:06:36 PM10/13/13
to Nigel Scott, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
That's a pretty big undertaking - I'm impressed - especially for a first game :D

Currently on level 19 - obviously it'll take a while for me to get through the game :P enjoying it, though the difficulty has a fair bit further to ramp up still

(All the above with the necessary qualification that it's naughty/possibly illegal to totally clone someone's game without their permission).

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM, Nigel Scott <grunt...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Nigel Scott

Oct 13, 2013, 6:11:06 PM10/13/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, Nigel Scott

On Sunday, 13 October 2013 22:58:57 UTC+1, Alan Hazelden wrote:
Cool, I've heard good things about Cattrap!

One thing: I find it awkward the way that pushing a boulder doesn't move you along with it. I'm sure that is important to some of the puzzles, but could you maybe move the player along with the boulder if there's nothing on top of either? I think that would make it feel a lot better to me while not changing any of the puzzle solutions.

If you mean move the boulder and the player at the same time, then no I'm afraid that would break one of the game rules. You need to be able to push a boulder out of the way without moving into the space in later levels...

Nigel Scott

Oct 13, 2013, 6:15:17 PM10/13/13

On Sunday, 13 October 2013 23:06:36 UTC+1, Stephen Lavelle wrote:
That's a pretty big undertaking - I'm impressed - especially for a first game :D

Currently on level 19 - obviously it'll take a while for me to get through the game :P enjoying it, though the difficulty has a fair bit further to ramp up still

(All the above with the necessary qualification that it's naughty/possibly illegal to totally clone someone's game without their permission).

Err yes - good point. I guess I should at least add a credit to the original author. If I modify it, does the original 'shared' link still work, or do I need to generate a new one?

Nigel Scott

Oct 13, 2013, 6:25:41 PM10/13/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, Nigel Scott
Here's a new version (with a credit) and the name spelt correctly (doh!).

http://www.puzzlescript.net/play.html?p=6968052

Alan Hazelden

Oct 13, 2013, 6:34:19 PM10/13/13
to Nigel Scott, puzzle...@googlegroups.com

If you mean move the boulder and the player at the same time, then no I'm afraid that would break one of the game rules. You need to be able to push a boulder out of the way without moving into the space in later levels...

That's why I said "if there's nothing on top of either". I _think_ if there's nothing on top of the player and nothing on top of the boulder then it wouldn't make a difference? But maybe I'm wrong.

Stephen's point is a good one that I considered saying something about but couldn't work out how best to phrase it. It's still potentially illegal to copy the game even if you give credit. Here you're not making any profit and no one's likely to come after you, but it's still a bit dodgy and not something that should be applauded exactly.

Nigel Scott

Oct 13, 2013, 6:52:23 PM10/13/13

On Sunday, 13 October 2013 23:34:19 UTC+1, Alan Hazelden wrote:

If you mean move the boulder and the player at the same time, then no I'm afraid that would break one of the game rules. You need to be able to push a boulder out of the way without moving into the space in later levels...

That's why I said "if there's nothing on top of either". I _think_ if there's nothing on top of the player and nothing on top of the boulder then it wouldn't make a difference? But maybe I'm wrong.

OK - I see what you mean. You're right that it wouldn't affect anything if there was nothing above them, but I think the rule for that would be quite complicated? I'll see if I can make it work...

Stephen's point is a good one that I considered saying something about but couldn't work out how best to phrase it. It's still potentially illegal to copy the game even if you give credit. Here you're not making any profit and no one's likely to come after you, but it's still a bit dodgy and not something that should be applauded exactly.

Yes, I take your point. However, I think I'm fairly safe - the original was printed in a magazine 28 years ago, and there have been numerous versions/copies. I don't think it's any worse than making a copy of Sokoban.

Having said that, if anybody genuinely objects, or Stephen is uncomfortable hosting it, then I won't object to it being taken down.

Alan Hazelden

Oct 13, 2013, 7:04:56 PM10/13/13
to Nigel Scott, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
If you don't want to try changing that then I'd be interested in giving it a go myself, but not necessarily any time soon. Can there ever be anything on the player's head? I don't immediately see how there could be, which would make it a bit easier, but again I could be missing something.

I was only aware of this as a Gameboy game, so knowing that it's been remade several times by different people for different platforms does give it slightly more social acceptability. I certainly don't think you need to take it down, but would encourage you and others to in future try making things which are "inspired by" games you like rather than "a copy of". (This is a harder challenge, but more rewarding!)

Nigel Scott

Oct 13, 2013, 7:19:03 PM10/13/13

On Monday, 14 October 2013 00:04:56 UTC+1, Alan Hazelden wrote:
If you don't want to try changing that then I'd be interested in giving it a go myself, but not necessarily any time soon. Can there ever be anything on the player's head? I don't immediately see how there could be, which would make it a bit easier, but again I could be missing something

Go for it - that's one of the nice things about PuzzleScript - it's all open for anybody to have a go at...

There can definitely be stuff on the player's head - not sure how far through you've got, but later on you can dig through earth, so if there are boulders held up by the earth, they'll be above your head when you move under.

I was only aware of this as a Gameboy game, so knowing that it's been remade several times by different people for different platforms does give it slightly more social acceptability. I certainly don't think you need to take it down, but would encourage you and others to in future try making things which are "inspired by" games you like rather than "a copy of". (This is a harder challenge, but more rewarding!)

My next game will be original. This one was more of an exercise, if you like - I wanted to see if the engine could do everything necessary for the game. I had already written a version in javascript (with about 100 times as much code!) - that's how I already had all the levels defined.

I needn't have worried - in fact, the way you can restart and rewind feels like PuzzleScript was created with catrap in mind!

adamg...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2013, 9:15:11 PM10/13/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com
I like the level counter. Something like that would useful for puzzlescript to display itself.

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 14, 2013, 3:02:48 AM10/14/13
to Adam Gates, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
your suggestion has been noted, adam.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 2:15 AM, <adamg...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like the level counter. Something like that would useful for puzzlescript to display itself.

Alan Hazelden

Oct 16, 2013, 8:19:56 PM10/16/13
to Stephen Lavelle, Adam Gates, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
As promised, here's a version where you move with boulders when possible:

Adam Gates

Oct 16, 2013, 11:38:58 PM10/16/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, Stephen Lavelle, Adam Gates
I can't jump on this one. Was that intentional?

Nigel Scott

Oct 17, 2013, 12:29:41 PM10/17/13

On Thursday, 17 October 2013 01:19:56 UTC+1, Alan Hazelden wrote:
As promised, here's a version where you move with boulders when possible:

Nice - it does make it feel a bit more fluid!

Nigel Scott

Oct 17, 2013, 12:30:41 PM10/17/13

On Thursday, 17 October 2013 04:38:58 UTC+1, Adam Gates wrote:
I can't jump on this one. Was that intentional?

There was never (or shouldn't have been) any jumping - was there somewhere you could jump before?

Adam Gates

Oct 17, 2013, 7:27:17 PM10/17/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, Stephen Lavelle, Adam Gates
It looks like I was mistaken. I can't jump in the original either.

Stephen Lavelle

Oct 17, 2013, 7:36:22 PM10/17/13
to Adam Gates, puzzle...@googlegroups.com
what do you mean, you can't jump? any time? is this a problem with the engine?

Adam Gates

Oct 17, 2013, 7:55:46 PM10/17/13
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, Adam Gates
Nothing wrong with the engine.

Jumping is intentionally disabled in this game.

It was my mistake. I thought it was necessary to jump to complete some levels.

bdr...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2014, 4:58:54 PM9/17/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, anal...@gmail.com, adamg...@gmail.com
Op donderdag 17 oktober 2013 18:29:41 UTC+2 schreef Nigel Scott:

I've played your version and I'm stuck at level 40. The layout is different when compared to the Gameboy version. Are you sure it is solvable? I think one particular wall tile should actually be a dirt tile...

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/catrap/pitman_catrap_all_100_rounds.gif

bdr...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2014, 6:06:18 PM9/17/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, anal...@gmail.com, adamg...@gmail.com, bdr...@gmail.com
Op woensdag 17 september 2014 22:58:54 UTC+2 schreef bdr...@gmail.com:

I just took a look at the other levels. They all seem fine except these 2 levels:

Level 49 is missing a crucial ladder piece, so the player can't get to the upper part of the level.
Level 70 has the player in different starting position, making the level (I think) unsolvable.

Nigel Scott

Oct 4, 2014, 11:56:28 AM10/4/14
to puzzle...@googlegroups.com, anal...@gmail.com, adamg...@gmail.com, bdr...@gmail.com
Thanks for the detective work! I've exported a version with levels 40, 49 and 70 fixed...