Puppet cloud_provisioner won't work with Scientific Linux

Dan C

Jun 22, 2013, 3:51:43 AM6/22/13
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Yet if Scientific Linux(SL) is, as Centos, a rhel child, there are some differences.
One of them is that yum variable "$releasever" in SL does not corresponds as in Centos to the "major" version but to "major.minor" version. So, instead of being a 6 it is, for example a 6.3.
This substitution won't work in puppet labs repositories as there are no minors.
The best solution (elegant and simple) would be for puppetlabs to add the symbolic links with the "major.minor" versions pointing to the "major" which would make cloud_provisioner work as it is.
I made a small modification of the script which prepares the puppetlabs repos that worked on the (not many) tests I did with Centos and SL. I didn't do a pull request because this solution is far from being elegant and ideal but yet, if someone needs to deploy SL machines here it is:

It is fare to say that I am a complete newbie with puppet in general and cloud_provisioner in particular, so, maybe there is an option to make it work with SL, but as far as now I don't know it. So, if there is, and someone could let me know it, it would be fantastic. Otherwise it would be marvelous if puppetlabs could add the links with the minor version number included.

Thanks!