Newbie Question About Puppet

Net Warrior

Feb 16, 2017, 3:51:57 PM2/16/17
to puppet-users
Hi there guys

I'm new to puppet and I'm gonna make my first install of if, I'll go
with the free version and then in the near feature maybe we switch to
Enterprise for support.
I'm reading some docs and it seems the lates version is 4.8, the reading
about the installation it talks about Puppet server install which is
version 2.6 and puppet db is 4.2, so this at first confused me, because
I do not know to which package 4.8 is related to, is that a whole
version number? to the whole puppet suite?

Another thing, my environment consist on about 30 AWS instances, is that
ok install puppet server ( from what I read it replaces puppet master )
and puppet db on the same server? any advice on this? memory/cpu?

Is there any documentation which exaplains or describes all the steps
involved during the installation or should I go through separate docs,
one for installing the db and other for the server? I'm just using
puppet labs docs references

Thanks for your time and support
Regards

Dominic Cleal

Feb 17, 2017, 5:48:42 AM2/17/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On 16/02/17 20:51, Net Warrior wrote:
> I'm reading some docs and it seems the lates version is 4.8, the reading
> about the installation it talks about Puppet server install which is
> version 2.6 and puppet db is 4.2, so this at first confused me, because
> I do not know to which package 4.8 is related to, is that a whole
> version number? to the whole puppet suite?

To use Puppet Server there are two packages you will install:

1. puppet-agent
2. puppet-server

puppet-agent contains Puppet itself and its dependencies. The latest
agent version is 1.9.1, which contains Puppet 4.9.2. There is a list of
known versions on this page:
https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/latest/about_agent.html

puppet-server adds the server components to puppet-agent. The server
uses Puppet from puppet-agent. The latest server version is 2.7.2, and
see https://docs.puppet.com/puppetserver/latest/release_notes.html for
the latest release notes.

Install puppet-agent 1.9.1 and puppet-server 2.7.2 (at the time of
writing) and you'll have the latest Puppet 4.9.

--
Dominic Cleal
dom...@cleal.org

Net Warrior

Feb 17, 2017, 7:55:11 AM2/17/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thank you very much for your response, what about puppet db? is that
really needed? can I live without it? still I do not now the real
benefits of using
PostgreSQL.

Regards

Rich Burroughs

Feb 17, 2017, 1:54:29 PM2/17/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
PuppetDB is great :) You can use Puppet without it, but it gives you a lot of insight into what's happening with puppet and your environment.

There's actually a Puppet module that you can use to set up PuppetDB:

Rich

Net Warrior

Feb 18, 2017, 9:57:40 PM2/18/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thank you for your clarification, now I've got one more doubt,
should I go with puppetserver and JVM ( Jetty default ?) or should I go
with Passenger?

Thank you very much for your time and support
Regards

Martin Alfke

Feb 19, 2017, 4:52:24 AM2/19/17
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

> On 19 Feb 2017, at 03:57, Net Warrior <netwar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, thank you for your clarification, now I've got one more doubt, should I go with puppetserver and JVM ( Jetty default ?) or should I go with Passenger?

Please start using puppetserver on JVM.
It has many improvements over passenger based Puppet.

Best,
Martin