Solaris / OpenSolaris package management

James Turnbull

Jan 17, 2010, 2:58:57 AM1/17/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Martin Englund

Jan 17, 2010, 6:40:58 AM1/17/10
to Puppet Users
James,

On Jan 17, 8:58 am, James Turnbull <ja...@lovedthanlost.net> wrote:

> err: //git/Package[git]/ensure: change from absent to present

> failed: Execution of '/usr/sbin/pkgadd -dhttp://pkg.opensolaris.org/-n SUNWgit' returned 1: pkgadd: ERROR:

> Failure occurred with http(s) negotiation: <'Peername' doesn't match
> 'host' or no matching entry>
> pkgadd: ERROR: unable to download package datastream from
> <http://pkg.opensolaris.org/>.
>
> My manifests looks like:
>
> Package { source => "http://pkg.opensolaris.org/" }
>
> package { "SUNWgit":
>    ensure => installed,
>
> }

That package source is only valid for use with pkg.

> I've Google'd around a bit and can't seem to find an answer to this
> error.  I get the same error running pkgadd manually on the host too.

You can use pkgadd on OpenSolaris, but it is there for backward
compatibility.

> When I use the pkg tool (pkg install SUNWgit) it works fine.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?

I noticed that you found the pkg(5) package provider which hopefully
will work for you - it is my first shot at a package provider for
puppet :)

> On a related note is pkgadd the recommended way to manage packages?
>  Should a new/updated provider be developed that uses pkg?

On OpenSolaris you should stick to pkg instead of pkgadd/pkgrm (unless
you only have a package which only is available in SVR4 format).

cheers,
/Martin

James Turnbull

Jan 17, 2010, 6:43:57 AM1/17/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com

Alan Barrett

Jan 17, 2010, 7:05:19 AM1/17/10
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, James Turnbull wrote:
> My manifests looks like:
>
> Package { source => "http://pkg.opensolaris.org/" }
>
> package { "SUNWgit":
> ensure => installed,
> }

The "sun" package provider needs the "source" parameter to be a a
filename or an URL to the individual package, not an URL to a collection
of many packages. I have been using the "blastwave" provider, with a
custom config file that points to a private package repository.

--apb (Alan Barrett)

deet

Jan 17, 2010, 11:06:51 PM1/17/10
to Puppet Users

> I noticed that you found the pkg(5) package provider which hopefully
> will work for you - it is my first shot at a package provider for
> puppet :)

Martin.
Will your new provider show up as part of one of the upcoming puppet
releases? I've been noodling around with moving my Solaris boxes to
use the Solaris port of pkg (http://wikis.sun.com/display/
IpsBestPractices/Multi-platform+Packaging+for+Layered+Distros) for all
of our software that is not part of the Solaris release itself.
Knowing that the "pkg" provider would be coming down the road would
eliminate the biggest roadblock for moving to ips/pkg.
Thanks. Derek.

James Turnbull

Jan 18, 2010, 12:04:49 AM1/18/10
to puppet-users
2010/1/18 deet <some...@gmail.com>:

>  Will your new provider show up as part of one of the upcoming puppet
> releases?   I've been noodling around with moving my Solaris boxes to
> use the Solaris port of pkg (http://wikis.sun.com/display/
> IpsBestPractices/Multi-platform+Packaging+for+Layered+Distros) for all
> of our software that is not part of the Solaris release itself.
> Knowing that the "pkg" provider would be coming down the road would
> eliminate the biggest roadblock for moving to ips/pkg.

Derek

It'll hopefully go into the next feature release - I've just pushed
the code and some initial tests to the -dev list. Additional tests
would help.

Regards

James Turnbull