Re: Puppet dashboard over passenger: The environment must be purely alphanumeric, not ''

Eric Sorenson

Oct 18, 2012, 1:37:54 PM10/18/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi andrew, that error is one that comes from the puppet master process itself when you connect to it with a regular HTTP client. So it looks like your apache virtualhost setup is pointing connections to that port/host at the puppetmaster config.ru, not dashboard.  Does that help track down the issue?

-=Eric

On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:50:59 PM UTC-7, Andrew Gooding wrote:

Hello,

I installed puppet-server, passenger and dashboard. I have tested every step in between to make sure all is running well and not errors are carrying forward. Dashboard worked well with my test in WEBrick.

After configure the dashboard with passenger I got the message” The environment must be purely alphanumeric, not ''” instead of the dashboard.

I verified the configuration files and all look to be in place, but I should be missing something.

This is my current environment:

CentOS release 6.3  x86_64

puppet-2.7.19-1.el6.noarch

puppet-server-2.7.19-1.el6.noarch

puppet-dashboard-1.2.12-1.el6.noarch

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

activemodel (3.2.8)

activerecord (3.2.8)

activesupport (3.2.8)

arel (3.0.2)

builder (3.0.3)

daemon_controller (1.0.0)

fastthread (1.0.7)

i18n (0.6.1)

json (1.4.6)

multi_json (1.3.6)

passenger (3.0.17)

rack (1.4.1)

rake (0.9.2.2, 0.8.7)

tzinfo (0.3.33)

# rpm -qa | grep ruby

ruby-devel-1.8.7.352-7.el6_2.x86_64

ruby-mysql-2.8.2-1.el6.x86_64

ruby-libs-1.8.7.352-7.el6_2.x86_64

ruby-irb-1.8.7.352-7.el6_2.x86_64

rubygems-1.3.7-1.el6.noarch

ruby-shadow-1.4.1-13.el6.x86_64

libselinux-ruby-2.0.94-5.3.el6.x86_64

ruby-augeas-0.4.1-1.el6.x86_64

rubygem-json-1.4.6-1.el6.x86_64

rubygem-rake-0.8.7-2.1.el6.noarch

ruby-ri-1.8.7.352-7.el6_2.x86_64

ruby-1.8.7.352-7.el6_2.x86_64

ruby-rdoc-1.8.7.352-7.el6_2.x86_64

rpm -qa | grep mysql

ruby-mysql-2.8.2-1.el6.x86_64

mysql-5.1.61-4.el6.x86_64

mysql-devel-5.1.61-4.el6.x86_64

mysql-libs-5.1.61-4.el6.x86_64

mysql-server-5.1.61-4.el6.x86_64

Any help will be welcome.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Gooding

Nov 16, 2012, 1:04:37 PM11/16/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
This is the config.ru file that I have inside the folder /usr/share/puppet-dashboard :

# a config.ru, for use with every rack-compatible webserver.
# SSL needs to be handled outside this, though.

# if puppet is not in your RUBYLIB:
# $LOAD_PATH.unshift('/opt/puppet/lib')

$0 = "master"

# if you want debugging:
# ARGV << "--debug"

ARGV << "--rack"

# Rack applications typically don't start as root.  Set --confdir to prevent
# reading configuration from ~/.puppet/puppet.conf
ARGV << "--confdir" << "/etc/puppet"

# NOTE: it's unfortunate that we have to use the "CommandLine" class
#  here to launch the app, but it contains some initialization logic
#  (such as triggering the parsing of the config file) that is very
#  important.  We should do something less nasty here when we've
#  gotten our API and settings initialization logic cleaned up.
#
# Also note that the "$0 = master" line up near the top here is
#  the magic that allows the CommandLine class to know that it's
#  supposed to be running master.
#
# --cprice 2012-05-22

require 'puppet/application/master'
# we're usually running inside a Rack::Builder.new {} block,
# therefore we need to call run *here*.
run Puppet::Application[:master].run

Where should I apply the changes?

Eric Sorenson

Nov 19, 2012, 6:08:17 PM11/19/12
to puppet...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew, sorry I wasn't clear -- The config.ru is probably fine, the problem is more likely in the Apache configuration (usually in /etc/httpd/conf.d/) that sets up the two virtual hosts (One for the puppetmaster and the other for Dashboard). There might be an overlapping virtualhost definition or the like.  If you have trouble unwinding it, please make a gist on github or pastie.com that shows these Apache config files.